View Single Post
8/4/13, 7:38 PM   #3
double checkered

As much as I love being an "official starter" aka "flagman", I'm really surprised that the position is still in auto racing. So easy a monkey can do it. Race control in the tower could easily turn on lights and inform the drivers of on track dangers with raceivers. Oh, wait..... Some tracks already do that. I know that even though my first priority is driver safety, I am just part of the entertainment for the fans. Sometimes I think people pay admission to whoot and hollar at the monkey in the stand. Back to the original topic. I also remember when the starter actually started the race. They controlled the track. Often times they were on the racing surface directing traffic getting cars lined up or leaning in a driver's window giving home a few strong words of "advice". I know times have changed and different tracks/sanctions have different rules on starts. The biggest thing is to try to be as consistent as possible. I hate when drivers push the limit of the starting line. But rules are rules....you jump, you get put back.

Jeremy

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: fish, Kansasdirtfan