View Single Post
4/13/22, 8:27 PM   #15
Re: So is there a real, lasting tire option for full up spri
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitdad View Post
So, I first thought this thread was a joke, you know, sarcasm. But I'm starting to believe that you guys really believe the solution is to run rock hard tires that last a season.

We tried that back in the 80s. We were required to run 65 durometer Goodyears. You couldn't modify them in any way. No grooving. No siping. You couldn't "wear one out", but that didn't keep the teams that could afford it, from buying a new tire nearly every week. Even though you couldn't wear one out, it didn't mean you couldn't seal one over. A new tire did perform better than the sealed one, even though the tread wear was negligible. Plenty of pull offs for those of us on a budget. But you couldn't get a hold of the track unless it was during a rainstorm.

You see, whatever scheme you come up with, them that's got are them that gets. And I ain't got nothin yet.
Im not saying the hardest they go. But something that last. I worked a LM team at the track for two years and I can't remember a night we lost a tire due to wear. we ground em, baby powdered and back on the car. But it was rare we mounted a new one. This was at Florence early 90s and that track was always a one groove black slick on the bottom then. Mostly ran top five sometimes podiumed, but yeah, most nights we couldn't beat Racin Mason, Donny Moran and some other heavy hitters at the time. John Gill. etc
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 4/13/22 at 8:32 PM.