View Single Post
10/11/07, 8:21 AM   #3
Re: I know I'm missing something, but...
Knoke77

Although there are a LOT of varying opinions on spec tires, the original intent was to help keep the costs down on having such a huge arsenal of tires laying around in various compounds. From what I have seen and heard most teams don't have an issue running a spec tire as long as they have a couple vendor choices to choose from. The Hoosier vs American Racer fiasco going on right now is a good example. When I ran we always used American Racer and did receive a slight discount. When running with the MSCS or at Putnumville we would have to get a Hoosier DT3 which we didn't get a discount on from Hoosier. Hoosier is now gobbling up race tracks and sanctioning bodies and putting a hurt on American Racer's business by not being able to offer their spec tire compound as an alternative choice.

Even though the spec tires intention is to help control cost it still causes issues because some teams can buy new tires every night which makes some teams think they are beaten before the feature even starts. We won races on American Racer MC-2's that had 4 or 5 or more races on them.

Ted, I have sent you a private message with some information. Hopefully it contains some info you can use or maybe had questions with.

Good luck the rest of the year!

Jason Knoke