View Single Post
DAD (Offline)
  #35 11/22/14 10:29 AM
A modern 4 valve over-square 600cc motorcycle motor runs well between 14000 to 15000 rpms. Those are the ones that are in production today. I understand that an 836 Honda is happy between 11000 to 11500 rpms.

Using Montpelier Indiana as an example, one of the larger tracks you guys run on. Assuming that a good gear for the Honda would be about "9.5 to 0ne" up there. To gear a 600cc motor to run at optimum power (This is with a stock motor with minimal modifications, exhaust, Methanol and mapping the ECM) would require a gear of at least 12 to One, assuming a 72" right rear tire. Like I said this is one of your larger tracks that you race on. I understand that the midget rear end is not capable any lower gear that about "11.33 to One". To me the smaller sidewinder tire would not be a good option because of the larger and rougher tracks that you run on as compared to the sidewinders, and they look stupid too.

A good 600cc motor produces about 140 horsepower stock, they would make a great fit for a TQ, but because the rules as written, they are prohibited it from working at peak efficiency. The old Honda's are getting scarce but these motors are available for around $2000.00 each all day long. They are the reason for the popularity of both 600cc sidewinders and 1000cc Midgets. Why would a guy want to put $2000.00 in rods and pistons and another $1000.00 in cams and valves then another $3500.00 in fuel injection to build a new Honda, when he could go to EBAY and buy a motor that would out run what he had created for just $2000.00. And when that one blows up which it will after 2 or 3 seasons it is time to upgrade to the newest thing out there.

Honest Dad himself