Thread: Indy Cars
View Single Post
aceace
  #15 4/20/09 10:51 AM
IMHO some of the most talented drivers in the world are non wing sprint car drivers that would have no problem driving at Indy and with a little practice could handle the road courses. Just as I watched Dave Darland Saturday night at the 'Burg make some great saves in the feature. Sure the carbon fibre chassis is safer but with the safer barriers and an engine package that would drop speeds in the 210-220 range why couldn't we go back to steel tubing and just have the tub and other certain parts be carbon fibre. The Indy lights cars run 100,000 each while IRL cars are 400,000, and were talking about 30-35 mph difference. Get the cost down to 125-150,000 (IRL) and you invite a whole new influx of competition. Why is the Honda engine lease 900,000 per car per season. You can buy a new 750hp sprint car engine for $40,000 and rebuild and use many times over, detune it a 100hp for reliability and the cost of running an Indy car drops way down. You would have a 100 cars at the track. It would be the best racing in the world... I'm sure this can be picked apart, but I see a different world sometimes.