View Single Post
8/30/08, 12:33 PM   #95
Re: New Midwest TQ Racing Series Forming
Sandy Lowe

1021gpa,

Supposedly a proof of age was given to the UMRA president. I was the club secretary at the time and was told everthing was OK, he's 16.

The cat got let out of the bag at a fall Rushville race. Billy came through the pit gate wearing a football jersey. Brownsburg I think? I asked him what position he played, then if he was varsity or JV. When he told me he played 8th grade it was pretty obvious that he wasn't 16. When the season started back in the spring he would have only been in the 7th grade.

I don't know when you tried to race with UMRA. If it was after 1993 you probably needed to provide proof with a birth certificate because of this incident. I think the rule now reads "All drivers must be at least 16 years of age and able to prove it."

In the fall of 1993 (or spring of 1994) the Puterbaugh's petitioned to allow Billy to run at the age of 15. They wanted to grandfather him in because he ran at 14. The membership was given two choices to vote. 1) Lower the minimum age for everybody to 15, or 2) Keep the minimum age at 16 and do not allow him to compete. They voted to keep the age at 16.

I know that now there are a lot of drivers under the age of 16 that race sprint cars. I don't believe that was the case back in 1993.

Just to make this clear I really like Bill, Joyce and Billy. I'm not mad at them for what happened in 1993. I had actually forgotten about it until Billy brought it up in his post.

Sandy