View Single Post
8/25/22, 11:48 AM   #24
Re: Silver Crown @ Gateway Good or bad
B99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
Not to argue the point too much, but maybe you should go up to the press box and "coach" these guys on the rules, Richie. We must have two different audio tracks because I heard them tell me the cars had to "at least pull away" and "they must move under their own power within a certain distance." Silly me to think these were the rules.

Don't even get me going on when our good bud Tom Paterson was dead in the water up on the rail coming out of Turn 2 after a couple of laps. They gave Tom great kudos for bringing the car in from Argos on an open trailer and planning on using it in Springfield next. Unfortunately, the latter was washed out.

Oh.... the whole time Gregg Cory was dead stick sideways in Turn 2 after coming together with something/someone that neither noticed.

I say you go up to the press box, WATCH THE RACING MONITOR, and provide the insight, Richie. That would raise this coverage tenfold.

No hard feelings. Actually, thank you for the explaining of the push off rule. I will always remember that.

We have what we have for Silver Crown coverage. Fortunately what they were not commenting or looking at on half the time was a pretty good race.

And Tom Paterson got some well deserved praise.

Appreciate your response, sir. Really do.
Not that Richie needs to justify himself to you
Now I've only been involved in the sport 40 years or so, but I don't recall USAC ever stating pushing by a crew was contrary to the rules, I'm pretty sure that USAC considers "pushing" as stated in the rule book by an authorized push vehicle. A car fired up for the start of 100 miles has a fairly tall gear and a lot of weight in the back end, thus the crew may help the car pull away from the grid.

1206 Pushing
A. Push starts at any time are subject to the availability of authorized push vehicles and at the discretion of the Chief Steward.
B. Qualifications: A car in its proper position for qualifying may be push started with the loss of one lap (when qualification
distance is more than one lap) from the qualifying attempt and will have to race in the consolation event to make the feature
event. In the event of no consolation event, the car cannot start in the top 50% of the feature field. Car still gets qualifying
time with no penalty other than starting position for A-feature.
C. Races: Cars are required to leave the grid under their own power at the start of an event. A car requiring a push start at the
start of an event will be placed at the rear of the starting field. Push starts under green flag or yellow flag conditions will be
at the discretion of the Chief Steward.

4 members like this post: chrismattlin, JordanBlanton, oldfan49, tirespinner