View Single Post
5/16/22, 5:48 PM   #14
Re: Rainout Policy Input
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by B99 View Post
KD:

Back when I was a wee lad spending my Sunday nights at Springfield Speedway, Joe had a rainout policy that if 51% of the program (not features) including qualifying was completed, the program was complete and rainchecks would not be honored.

I was OK with that then, as now. As long as you tell me in advance, whether that be on the website, ticket, program or posted outside the ticket window, or PA announcement, I'm OK with your policy. At that point it is my decision to enter and if I take the chance knowing weather is an issue, that's on me. I have a choice, come back on the rain date or don't. It's the risk I take.

As a fan, what you do with the purse money beyond that point isn't my business. However, my experience with some sanctioning bodies is that if he features are set and rain comes, they split the purse equally among all the participants. I think that's a fair way of doing it and if you wanted to split it among everyone in the class, even though the feature might not be set, I think that's OK too.
This was basically how Bob Bahre did things when I was growing up at Oxford Plains Speedway. If all the heats were done,and it started to rain,and it looked like it would rain for hours,they would call it. If it was more of a passing shower,they would dry the track which was pavement,and didnt take all that long to get ready for racing. If it rained out there would be double features the following week.

From memory the other tracks in Maine did the same sort of thing,so I've never thought to much about it. I've only asked for a refund once that I can remember,at Sharon when USAC got rained out there,and I wasnt going back for anything else on their schedule that I could apply the ticket to. From memory Gas City would hand you a refund if it rained. That was my Friday night choice for a long time,so I just reused the ticket the next week.

In todays world its easy to look at the weather radar and see if you want to chance it or not.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Always enjoy when you give us a perspective from "the other side" of the fence.....

2 members like this post: PJ Wright, racenut69