Thread: Indy 500
View Single Post
Kart29 (Offline)
  #7 5/21/18 7:44 AM
Anyone who thinks that was a decent crowd doesn't remember what a pole day crowd was like 30-40 years ago. The difference is enormous!

I really like Ed Carpenter. I think he's a good man and a great oval track driver. But he is in a unique situation and can't be used as an example of how a typical American short oval driver can still make it in IndyCar racing today.

First, Ed races ovals only. The IndyCar series is so road/street track focused that an oval track driver doesn't stand a chance to compete in the series. You won't see another oval-only driver in IndyCar unless he/she owns and runs his own cars.

Second, Ed had the opportunity to get lots of experience before he became really competent as an IndyCar driver. He spent a couple of years in Indy Lights and it took several unsuccessful years in IndyCar for him to develop his skills. Fortunately, he had the money and racing connections to stick around long enough to develop that his talent/skills. Most other drivers would be kicked to the curb if they didn't show real results within a year or two.

I have no doubt that more USAC racers could become great IndyCar oval track drivers. Unfortunately, I don't think they really have that opportunity because most will not be able to quickly become outstanding at road/street racing and because there are no IndyCar teams willing to spend the time and money in their development while they learn to become proficient in that type of car and racing.

I really appreciate every thing Byrd brothers have been doing. I love seeing the hard-core American oval drivers get a shot. Those guys are always my favorites. Unfortunately, I don't think these slight opportunities offer enough time and resources for these drivers to become great IndyCar racers. You can't just jump in an IndyCar and be a contender in couple of seasons, much less a few races (unless you are Tony Stewart).
4 Likes: Bostonian, Gregg, i love dirt track racing, Speedwrench