Thread: Midget Motors
View Single Post
3/2/17, 11:31 AM   #50
Re: Midget Motors
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
Aces, the goal of the D2/Speed2 movement is affordable Midget racing, much as you're trying to advocate starting an affordable nonwing Sprint Car division in the Deep South. One difference is that there has always been diversity in engine choices, whereas in Sprint Car circles there has been a concerted effort to conform to the small-block V8 model since the demise of the 255 Offy. D2/Speed2 has never had pretenses of overtaking the National Midget mantel except in rare cases of fanaticism; as far as I know the intent was always to offer entry-level and hobbyists like myself a venue to enjoy the sport we love. It has also always made provision for Motorcycle power, but don't equate allowing that to racing with TQ's, Micros or Half Midgets (Cushman? Really?). In the IMRA & POWRi "true" D2 divisions Motorcycle power wins as often as Ecotec, and even at Montpelier they routinely finish in the top 5, even ahead of Esslinger or Gaerte engines (not me, but in the hands of capable talent...). D2-legal M/C powered cars are physically identical in every dimension as the automotive-powered cars, and many actually started life as Beast, Ellis or Stealth Midgets.
I think D2 is cool, but i had no idea they only allow engines straight from the junk yard, or did I misunderstand that part? As far as allowing diverse powerplants, I'm all for that too, just don't like being told I have to throw it away when it needs a refresh. I'm still learning about open wheel racing and I have a long way to go and I must admit I find the midget side of things the most confusing. The problem I'm having most, aside from traditional sprints is the smaller, smaller, smaller. I know midgets have a long tradition going way back, but why have something like a mini-sprint running the same powerplant or are they different too? I personally would never use MC/Chain Drive in a midget, not because I don't see them as capable or noncompetitive, they are, but it just doesn't resonate with me that's all. To me an MC belongs on a kart or something w/no suspension. Thanks for helping me begin to understand the open wheel world a little bit more.