View Single Post
8/2/14, 4:07 PM   #14
Re: Montpelier Speedway Midget Series Returns Sat. August 2
DAD

Brian

Thanks for the response. We all know that racing is expensive. We also know that racing Midgets is even more expensive than any other form of open wheel dirt track racing. You guys have stuck your neck out to help Midget racing in your area and I hope maybe all around the USA.

Like I told Lindsey we are armature racers. The major Midget sanctioning bodies for some reason or another have stuck their heads in some sort of hole and have failed to recognize that they do have a problem in the Midget Class. Even PowerI has followed suit with it's older brother to more or less rule out the average racer.

Automobile engine design has made great strides in the last 50 or so years since the"Pinto" Esslinger or "Chevy II" motor was designed. To keep up with the stress put on these motors engine builders have resulted into making patches in the form of special Heavy Duty Cylinder heads and blocks.

In that time period The auto makers have been designing better and better engine with much better machine work and more robust design in cast aluminum.

To keep everybody on the same page I am Looking at the engine from a Lincoln LS from about 2000-2009. This engine was designed with the help from Cosworth Engines, Porsche, and Yamaha. In it's stock state sitting in the automobile it has been rated at close to 300 horsepower. With the help from a very modest tune, 400 horsepower should be no problem at all to achieve. Racing with 10 year old Midget motors it might or might not have an advantage. The biggest advantage would be initial cost and the cost of maintenance over the older motors. Buying a Midget motor is the small portion of Midget racing sending the motor back every 10-12 races for the "Freshen Up" is what gets expensive.

I think with the money we saved by not racing this week I will go out and buy one of these little motors and start working on finding an engine builder to help in its development. Maybe next year we can join your program.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 8/2/14 at 4:11 PM.

1 member likes this post: rcman