View Single Post
12/12/13, 2:31 PM   #217
Re: Central region Lightning / Mini sprint meeting
HRPCHASSIS

I would like to share my opinion on the Dry Sump system and rules in general. Below I have copied information I emailed to many organizations, a reply I received, and my response. I am thankful to WRP for your reply and for racing Mini Sprints!

Gentlemen,
Please find attached the comparison of the stock oil system vs the dry sump oil system. This was done on the same engine in the same car on the same dyno. Take note at the top of each page the Hyper dyno test # and date of test is noted. As you will see the dry sump in fact takes a couple HP to run the 2 stage scavenge sections vs the stock water pump. Not to mention the additional weight of the system. I hope this will put to rest the bazaar thoughts that a dry sump somehow creates a negative pressure in the crank case thus increasing HP! I have not designed, built, or advertised this system to be a HP advantage. This system is to fix the oil related problems with the ZX10 especially, but can easily be adapted to any engine. This turn-key system is currently priced at $1495. I am hopeful that with acceptance and volume manufacturing to get the price down considerably. The fact that these ZX10 engines are plentiful and can be bought at $800 less than the GSXR make the turn-key engine package very competitive.

Rick Hench

Rick,
Thanks for the days share. We do not have a single car using dry sump at our facility and since nobody is currently using it and our racers don't want to spend more money we decided to not allow dry sump systems. There is no current need for them at WRP and after each race season we can re-evaluate the rules. So there is a possibility that we could reverse that in 2015 but in 2014 there will be no dry sumps at WRP.

WRP,
Thank you for your reply. In my opinion making a rule because no one has something within your organization is a bad reason. That reasoning will exclude racers from supporting some events or venues, even if it’s only one time a year. We need to find as many ways as possible to INCLUDE everyone that has an interest and will support this division. Car count is KING above all other concerns! Allowing someone to run a dry sump oil system has nothing to do with existing racers spending any money. I have a dry sump and another racer in Ohio has one from another company. This system has no advantage from a performance standpoint. It takes HP to run the pump and adds weight to the car. This is about fixing an oil related issue on a Kawasaki engine that is available and inexpensive compared to the other popularly run engines. The engine is not being used dependably by many due to the unreliable oil system that has caused many engine failures. Engine failure alone is what is crippling this class and reducing car counts. I am all for containing the costs on engines, “stock engines”. We must be able to easily, reliably, and REPEATEDLY tech the cars and engines for the rules we put in place. Otherwise any set of rules is worthless! I am also in favor of uniform rules between different areas and organizations. Great concept! We also need to work together as organizations on scheduling to maximize our car counts! We all need to put our personal agendas aside and PROMOTE this class of racing. In my humble opinion this division, “Mini Sprints, Lightning Sprint” is hands down the best bang for your buck! If and when this class grows we can all benefit regardless of our personal interests.

Go Fast Turn Left
Rick Hench

2 members like this post: Cadpro18, jjones752