View Single Post
12/11/13, 1:16 PM   #214
Re: Central region Lightning / Mini sprint meeting
TQ29m

Here's another view of a dry sump system, at any given time, there is probably not more then a quart of oil in the engine, in fact, if you drain the sump, after you come off the track, in my case anyway, I will only drain about 2/3 of a quart out, the rest is still in the oil gallies, and just clinging to the insides of the engine, so that eliminates the biggest amount of oil that can be in suspension. The catch can merely serves to catch what oil is in the mist that is created, and also catches the unburned alcohol vapors, in my case, after a night of racing, I drain the can, and it'll be about half a Jiffy peanut butter jar, with about an inch and a half of oil, and maybe a quarter inch of a mixture of alky and water mix on top, the water coming from the alky condensing. Most of the newer bike motors that I've been into, all have about the same pressure regulater in them, that are simply spring regulated at around 50-60 psi, and when they open, they just dump the excess oil into the sump, in my dry sump system it is bypassed into the line that goes back to the tank, so same diff. I go back a few years in bikes, and most if not all of them were dry sump, with the exception of the "old" motors, which were total loss, the oil merely drained from a tank, thru the engine, and out on the guys behind you! I had a 1937 Indian Chief, 80 cu in, and it had roller lifters, and dry sump. Wish I had that one back! Bob