View Single Post
12/11/13, 12:21 PM   #212
Re: Central region Lightning / Mini sprint meeting
openwheel44

I have raced cars with dry sumps so I am "kinda" familiar with the process but your information is really helpful to all of us.

The way I see it...........we have a motor that has certain sized oil galleys and should have certain sized clearances throughout to permit oil flow and maintain a specific desired oil pressure. The manufacturer has designed a system to support his motor requirements. Using any of the motors I have been running in this class........I usually have an oil pressure of around 55-60 psi at racing RPMs and racing temperature. I was told by my midget motor and sprint car motor people some time back to not exceed 75 psi of oil pressure. Anything about that was not good for the system for various reasons. I am assuming since all these bike motors I have ran across usually run about the same 60 psi at temp/rpm, that should be the best all around setting. ??? I have maximized my oil capacity with the current Rosson pan. I fudge it to 6 quarts knowing the oil is "hanging" all around the motor at anything above 3000 rpm. I know this by watching the sight glass as mentioned before. So.......sounds like a typical dry sump would have around 7 quarts for a motor this size? I am not that far off with oil capacity possibly. I have maximized my pickup design so I am confident oil is getting to the oil pump as required and there is next to NO cavitation or aeration if any at all. My question.........how is a dry sump going to make my oil system any better? Increased oil pressure is not the answer if I have been informed right. It still relies on oil getting from the best scavenging point(s). The only thing that really concerns me at this point is that clutch basket spinning and the oil sloshing up against it from lateral G forces. I am going to try some more simple baffle work to try to divert the oil from it if I get a chance.

Not trying to be adversarial......I am just trying to figure out what I can do to improve my system short of going to a dry sump. To be honest.........oil or no oil............I am now wondering if the internal components will become the weak link.......Rods and bearings. Time will tell. Thanks for your information TQ29m.
Last edited by openwheel44; 12/11/13 at 5:01 PM.