View Single Post
12/11/13, 11:24 AM   #211
Re: Central region Lightning / Mini sprint meeting
TQ29m

Let me add a couple items that may have been overlooked. Yes, adding more oil to your current sump, would not be wise, keeping it at the full mark certainly couldn't hurt, but adding capacity would help, moving the pickup to the right side of the sump would be a real good thing to do, that would also be a good place to add capacity, you could add "cheeks" to the oil sump to add capacity. Baffleing the oil to that area of course would help a bunch. And, yes a dry sump system needs venting, because the pump actually pumps more air than it does oil, on the return side, most pumps are at least 2 stage, one side pumps oil from the reserve tank, thru the engine, out the brgs, and is collected in a sump that the return side of the pump picks up, and returns to the oil tank. This sump area is very small, and located where it is in the best location to catch the most oil. Again, being vented in the righ location is critical, as the wrong location will allow it to vent oil directly out of the engine, and that isn't good! I use a 7qt tank, that is vented to the engine, so it can relieve both the engine and the tank, then another hose goes from the engine to a catch can, to finish the atmospheric venting. The 2 stage pump is from a CB750 SOHC Honda, with an added distribution block that I fabricate, that also includes an adjustable bypass, to regulate the oil pressure. These old pumps are plentyful, and do a very good job in this application. You can also buy pumps with more stages, so you can access oil that gets trapped, and doesn't return to the sump, we used to use the Honda pumps in tandem, on certain Kaw, and Suzies to help get the trapped oil back the sump. Thanks! Bob

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis