View Single Post
6/26/13, 8:07 PM   #109
Re: What track did you grow up going to?
MRZERO

Born in 61, first race was at Eldora Speedway in 66. We went to all the USAC races, and eventually attended the weekly program. The first USAC drivers I saw were Sonny Ates, Cy Fairchild, Tom Bigelow, Larry Dickson, Gary Bettenhausen, Rollie Beale, Pancho Carter, Billy Cassella, Sammy Sessions, Bill Puterbaugh, Jerry Poland(hometown driver). The weekly events had the legendary Chick Hale in Late Models, along with the unbeatable Larry Moore. They also had a division called Sportsman that was great. They were 30's or 40's coupes for the most part, with drivers Harold Stonerock, Gene Smith, Red Harvey, and Buster Blackford. Dick DeBolt dominated the Hobby Stocks. I also was at the first 8 World 100's.

I also saw a few races at Dayton Speedway. John Marcum's ARCA cars with Benny Parsons, Iggy Katona, etc. Also saw a USAC and Super Modified race there.

We also checked out Tri County/Queen City Speedway, because that's where Larry Moore was racing in the Don Thompson Excavating #27 Monte Carlo. I think we saw a USAC stock race there that Butch Hartman dominated.

Also saw a few USAC races (Sprint and stock) at New Bremen.

All of this took place in the early 70's, great memories!!

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, EBookerFan, Indy1808, nathans1012