View Single Post
7/12/11, 10:44 PM   #183
Re: Lawrenceburg ISW Updates
Dave Rudisell
Inactive Member

First off, let me say thanks to all the drivers, crewmembers, owners and fans,employees, USAC and even the racefans who were not there for being a part of our Sprintweek.
Its was a crazy long hot day and even with the heat the campers were pulling in all day and i got to make a brief visit to some.
As the afternoon went on, we was watering like crazy in the beating down sun, the track was soaked and i was praying for some clouds as we rolled the track in at 5pm. All along i was wishing we was on central time like Haubstat is, and wishing we could add a additive to the track that helps hold moisture, but we can't because the city gets thier water below our surface.
Much to my surprise the track held up well for hot laps and single car qualifying for what seemed like hours. The heat races were great racing and you could see the track at that point getting dryer and dryer on the surface. I was asked by USAC if i was going to do any track rework and when i was going to do it. I decided at that point we would water some on the top of the track after modified heats. With it being a sunday evening show i wanted to do what i thought was best and just water and have the program going along again in 15 minutes. I knew in my mind if i ran the Lely Rottera around and opened the track up and watered it would of been about a 30 to 40 minute rework and the fans would of really been mad about that and it being a sunday and all.
I could write a book here but in the end, as i reflect back, i made the wrong decision and i knew that without my thousands of supervisors telling me i made the wrong decision.
I apologize to everyone for ruining your raceday. I have heard from many that thought the show was great and enjoyed thier visit to Lawrenceburg Speedway and i really appreciate that!!
I can tell you that i have learned a lesson and will learn more and more each race. As my Late best friend Mel Johnson always told me, "just when you think you got it right, mother nature will smack you in the ass!!"
So the bottomline here is.....Thanks for your support of Lawrenceburg Speedway and i hope that the next time you come to see a race here its everything you want it to be and more. Thats my goal each and every race night!!

Sincerely, Dave Rudisell

P.S. As i was working the track yesterday i found a broken hose clamp halfway buried in the clay sticking up with a sharp edge exposed. It was on the backstretch about 3 feet off the wall. I believe that may have been the tire culprit.