11/23/07, 11:06 PM   #15
Re: Turkey Night has gone cold and bitter
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Clauson View Post
Man I guess I just don't get it.....

While Darland checked out to a convincing and popular win the race from 3 through 10 was something to behold. There was more sliders thrown between Leffler, Kahne, Santo's, Wease, and Clauson then when someone snuck in White Castles to fat camp. Listening to the throngs of fans who converged to the pit area post race the feeling I got was this was one of the fiercest most hardcore pavement races they had witnessed. From my point a view there were those dressed in kahki's and polos and those dressed in jeans and racing shirts. The thing that sticks with me was the stands were full, the pits were full,and everyone I encountered seemed pretty excited the way they spent there turkey day and night. For those who looked past Darlands out front antics and back just few positions through the field I think they saw a glimpse of what USAC racing would be nightly if Nascar had not come a callin the Kahnes, Lefflers, Yeleys, and on and on. I also continue to be amazed how some of these guys can show up, some years removed from these cars and withen laps are right back in their element.

Tim

Tim, I don't think you get what his meaning was. It's not the on track action. It's the foreign feeling of racing and race fans, These are not your SPRINT and Midget fans, but NASCAR who none would venture to any track without the name Stewart, Yeley attached to it.

Not all the fans there were there for Nascar but thats whats filling the stands. If it helps short track racing, then Im for it. But is it really?
Chuck