IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   2023 All Star Sprints Schedule (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=122026)

opnwhlmnd 12/2/22 9:48 AM

Re: 2023 All Star Sprints Schedule

Quote:

Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 (Post 559840)
I find it interesting that allegedly NO Indiana tracks would return ASCoC phone calls. Somehow I find that a little suspect.

In the Twitter schedule thread the All-Stars respond that Kokomo got back with them and wanted a one night show. All Stars said they needed another track to make it a weekend for teams and couldn't find one.

Charles Nungester 12/2/22 9:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmakin (Post 559849)
I shot the first two nights at Circle City last year and the All Stars had a pretty full car count.

How was it attended?
My guess is that it's business model is not a $$ maker for tracks or they'd all have one. Unlike Ohio/PA

I really got no desire to go watch unfamiliar cars, Yeah I know Courtney and a few others. But at one time Indiana had fifteen or so that ran All Stars so it was always a thrill to watch Briscoe, Huntley, Kinsers Hood and others race em and thus you got to know the Jacobs, Haudenschilds, ETC that were All stars or national.

Sadly in some cases even the national series are becoming more regional. Burg works for WoO because it has a unique date on a long weekend packed with racing

cmakin 12/2/22 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 559851)
How was it attended?
My guess is that it's business model is not a $$ maker for tracks or they'd all have one. Unlike Ohio/PA

I really got no desire to go watch unfamiliar cars, Yeah I know Courtney and a few others. But at one time Indiana had fifteen or so that ran All Stars so it was always a thrill to watch Briscoe, Huntley, Kinsers Hood and others race em and thus you got to know the Jacobs, Haudenschilds, ETC that were All stars or national.

Sadly in some cases even the national series are becoming more regional. Burg works for WoO because it has a unique date on a long weekend packed with racing

Here is a shot on the second night during hot laps, so it was early in the evening. Not bad, to be honest. https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...42ca3d3f_o.jpgDSC_1458 by Carey Akin, on Flickr

dsc1600 12/2/22 10:53 AM

I think the All Stars issue was they bit off more than they could chew because I think they scheduled 4 Indiana races in a row back in 2021 (I think). In retrospect, one date at Circle City followed by the $26k to win show at Kokomo would have made more sense. As for needing a companion race to book w/ Kokomo, that doesn't make a ton of sense to me given how many teams are based near the Indy area. You could race anywhere in a couple hundred mile radius and then go to Kokomo as the teams are based near there.

cmakin 12/2/22 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsc1600 (Post 559854)
I think the All Stars issue was they bit off more than they could chew because I think they scheduled 4 Indiana races in a row back in 2021 (I think). In retrospect, one date at Circle City followed by the $26k to win show at Kokomo would have made more sense. As for needing a companion race to book w/ Kokomo, that doesn't make a ton of sense to me given how many teams are based near the Indy area. You could race anywhere in a couple hundred mile radius and then go to Kokomo as the teams are based near there.

It was a four day series labeled the Indiana Invasion. If I am not mistaken, they also gave an award to the driver with the highest points for the events on the last night, and also believe that it was Sunshine.

https://www.sprintcarandmidget.com/a...00-point-fund/

flagboy55 12/2/22 11:23 AM

Lack of support was noted on the twitter thread. Bottom line is, as I’ve said before, you have a 26k to win race and don’t fill the place up it kinda tells you something. I wish the Allstars came back to Kokomo but I’m not losing sleep over it. The thing I find surprising is that Chuck only knows a couple of the Allstars 😉

Charles Nungester 12/2/22 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagboy55 (Post 559856)
Lack of support was noted on the twitter thread. Bottom line is, as I’ve said before, you have a 26k to win race and don’t fill the place up it kinda tells you something. I wish the Allstars came back to Kokomo but I’m not losing sleep over it. The thing I find surprising is that Chuck only knows a couple of the Allstars 😉

Like I said, Late 80s and up till about 94 or so, Many indiana tracks ran wing and therefore I knew a bunch that went all star and vice versa. Staab told me back when it started that it wouldn't last five years and he was right. Six years later we started having nine car shows. NW came back and we went to thirty to forty car shows weekly. The Hoosier Fall classic lasted for awhile as did a yearly WoO visit to Bloomington but it all fizzled.

hoosier race fan 12/2/22 11:57 AM

If Kokomo wanted a single night event, then I wouldn’t be surprised to see a High Limit series race at Kokomo since most of the FloRacing/High Limit events will be single nights during the week. At least they have been for the late model series.

I’m sure the Indiana promoters feel that an All Star show with a sanction fee and good (not great) crowd isn’t as valuable/profitable as a $1500 to win regular show with the same racers and fans who attend pretty much every week. That’s their choice to make as they run their business. I also have a choice as a fan to spend my money at tracks that have some variety in their schedule and bring in a touring series that interests me more than the same weekly show. I was pleasantly surprised by Paragon’s schedule and plan to visit at least once or twice this year. Not every fan has the same interests I do or the same reasons for choosing to attend a track (or choosing not to). I think the comments about not having races in Indiana shows that there is a fan base here who wants to see the All Stars. They will just have to continue to visit tracks in neighboring states to do it until there is enough demand to convince promoters here to schedule them.

dsc1600 12/2/22 1:55 PM

This is probably why there wasn't alot of interest for the All Stars from the Indiana tracks, I would assume at least 2 High Limit events will be in Indiana in 2023.

DJlives 12/2/22 2:37 PM

If the events would have made money they would have been back. The Kokomo race was a Rudeen Foundation race