IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Midget Motors (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=52996)

DAD 9/15/11 10:58 AM

Re: Midget Motors

Tom my last combo was direct drive. I can't afford a car for one race, It would be a handfull at Tulsa. But if the rules were a little looser it would be a fun project to race with. We still race those damned horses down here in Ky. They do it with weight.
LETS TALK MOTORS that is the big problem everyone say's. Does anyone have any ideas on what would be a good in-expensive midget motor?

KYRON 9/15/11 12:11 PM

yes, it was called FOCUS...what was wrong with this?

DAD 9/15/11 12:18 PM

Guess you have never seen Focus car and mini -sprints run together.

KYRON 9/15/11 12:30 PM

Wasn't it suppose to keep the dollars down? I realze its not as powerfull as the other midget engines, but it was stated..."what would be cheeper engine for inline drive midgets"....wasn't focus designed to do this? Who knew the mini"s (in the beginning) would be as competitive with the migets?

DAD 9/15/11 12:38 PM

That would also make mini sprints the fastest thing around. I guess it would be "great" for mini sprints with bigger purses and bragging rights.

RGardner 9/15/11 2:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAD (Post 253448)
My motors cost $4500.00 I can't afford $20,000.00. My motor's make more horsepower I can run for 5 or 6 years with my motors and then replace them with the newer and badder motor out of Japan. Eslinger is so low tec us kids don't get into low lec stuff. Do you drive to work in a Pinto?

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Buck we do have an arm guard sponsorship open. Would you be interested? About $12500.00 per year.

Gotta suck when you get smoked my a low tech 20 thousand dollar pinto engine don't it. Haha
Posted via Mobile Device

dus10anderson 9/15/11 2:53 PM

I don't have a lot of time on this Earth...but here is my two cents. I participate in the NEMA Lites series as a crew chief back here in New England. We run on asphalt with wings and the Ford Focus midget engine. This series is probably the MOST COMPETITIVE series I have ever witnessed. On a good night we have 20+ cars show up and the racing is INTENSE. The Focus powerplant was a great idea at the start, but the cars were so closely matched that people started building $70,000 cars around an $8,000 dollar engine. We have outlawed titanium parts, have a two tire a night rule, and only allow one cockpit adjustable component. We race for little to no money so to speak, and while that may suck from time to time, that's the price you have to pay to go racing. Over time, we may be able to start devolping a purse for most of our races. The reason that we are sucessful comes down to one thing. The people in the stands, for the most part, DON'T CARE whether or not that midget out on the race track has a 400 HP Esslinger or Gaerte or a 200 HP Focus under the hood. If the racing is good...they will want to see more of it. The focus in midget racing when it comes to engines should be, in my opinon, on engines that can last 2 or more seasons, and allow the teams to spend their money on TIRES. Soft tires make for good racing. Focus cars in USAC are dogs because of the tire rules in USAC. We run lap times half a second to a second of the full midgets in NEMA and around 90 miles an hour average to 100 mph. We have had at least six different winners, including a couple of first timers. Life is pretty good out here in New England, and midgets are thriving in the home of Modifieds and Pro Stocks. Imagine that....

DAD 9/15/11 2:54 PM

If I had 20 grand pocket change for a motor I woundn't be here doing this. I would be working on making a small fortune by buying up imitation pinto motors and racing with the rich kids for a purse that was much too small for my investment, sounds like the government we got now doesn't it, You can't pay $500.00 dollars for a solar panel and sell it for $200.00 and stay in business long, that aint good business sense and you can't do that with a race car either, go until your small fortune is bankrupt.

DAD 9/15/11 6:24 PM

While talking with one of my guy's I got a great idea. Buy a new supper Esslinger motor send it to ***** and tell them you want a thousand just like the one you sent them. You pay $1000.00 per copy and sell them for $3000.00 every body is happy except poor Esslinger who can't afford to fight them. In go-karts they now race Honda Clone Motors. Do you think Honda is making anything off of these motors. Don't try this with a MOPAR! motor or you will get the Federal government as well as well as the Unions after you.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

Does the same thing happen if I type in ******?

ThrowbackRacingTeam 9/16/11 1:46 AM

Mating two cycle engines was done 28 years ago by Kenyon and a few others and I liked 'em. USAC ditched those for some reason, probably too cheap. They don't believe in going backwards. If you're gonna do that just go all the way back to the greatest sounding engine of all time .... Offenhauser!