IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Gas City I-69 Speedway NEWS. (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=124935)

nathans1012 1/9/24 3:25 PM

Gas City I-69 Speedway NEWS.

FROM THE TRACKS FACEBOOK PAGE.

Looking ahead to 2024. Sometimes, despite the best intentions - thing are not meant to be and for the betterment, changes are made. Such is the case for Gas City I-69 Speedway and my involvement there.
The facility will be under new management in 2024 and the proud heritage of the 'Gasser' will continue under good hands and guidance. Stay tuned for announcements.
I want to thank the great team at Gas City and hope that they can continue in their roles that they love so well.
This is a tough move and will undoubtedly be discussed heavily over social media, but things just didn't work out. With that being said, think and talk positive, keep the race track alive and show support.

racegal 3/26/24 9:13 AM

Re: Gas City I-69 Speedway NEWS.

I see Gas City is on the USAC schedule for 2024. I sure hope all goes well! :22:

LUCKYONE 3/26/24 10:30 AM

That's been on there web for awhile?

Speedmax3 3/26/24 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racegal (Post 572793)
I see Gas City is on the USAC schedule for 2024. I sure hope all goes well! :22:

The information that people are posting that are close to the situation at Gas City is that the owner is no longer interested someone taking over promotion and the track is once again for sale. Price around four million is being tossed around on social media for anyone looking to buy a nice track. I'll need to win the lottery first. I'm afraid it looks like the USAC races that are scheduled will probably be cancelled.

Stevensville Mike 3/26/24 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedmax3 (Post 572800)
Price around four million is being tossed around on social media for anyone looking to buy a nice track.

That is a little hard for me to believe. Without doing in-depth math.... recouping your initial $4M investment.....?

Maybe $400,000? That's about the ballpark for when Hartford and I-96 Speedways sold up here North of the border in recent year's past, if I recall.

PJ Wright 3/26/24 8:06 PM

If someone pays 4 million you better believe it's not going to remain a racetrack.

Stevensville Mike 3/26/24 8:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ Wright (Post 572807)
If someone pays 4 million you better believe it's not going to remain a racetrack.

Now you have a good point. I never thought of that angle.

A Pilot or a Love's truck stop.... close to I-69. I can see it in the crystal ball.

Unfortunately.

Tk04 3/27/24 1:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike (Post 572806)
That is a little hard for me to believe. Without doing in-depth math.... recouping your initial $4M investment.....?

Maybe $400,000? That's about the ballpark for when Hartford and I-96 Speedways sold up here North of the border in recent year's past, if I recall.

I believe it's in the 2 million category race ready, but there is a lot of updates that need to take place. Idk the whole story, but I don't think the family wants to lease it again. Being as much as it is and in prime location I'm afraid we have all probably seen our last race there unfortunately. Back when it reopened in the 90s and early 2000s just making the feature there across all classes was a big deal, and I've seen a lot of great races there. Def a big part of my childhood!

Tk

TQ29m 3/27/24 1:35 PM

Reminds me of what happened to the Atomic race track at oak ridge, Tennessee, racing slowed down, and the trucking company there took over, easy move,don't know what is there now,last time we were there, track was gone and trucks everywhere, been a while back

Jonr 3/28/24 4:59 PM

I know that this was mentioned earlier, but one assumption is that USAC is leasing the track directly from the owners for their scheduled dates, and was going to be the promoter of the races themselves. I sincerely doubt that USAC would put the races on the schedule without a signed contract from someone.

Everyone assumed that USAC would benefit from the regular leaser getting the track in race condition. How much work would it take for USAC to get Gas City prepared to race?

I understand that if the owner sells the land to a developer that this is all a moot point.

Dale 3/28/24 5:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonr (Post 572843)
I know that this was mentioned earlier, but one assumption is that USAC is leasing the track directly from the owners for their scheduled dates, and was going to be the promoter of the races themselves. I sincerely doubt that USAC would put the races on the schedule without a signed contract from someone.

Everyone assumed that USAC would benefit from the regular leaser getting the track in race condition. How much work would it take for USAC to get Gas City prepared to race?

I understand that if the owner sells the land to a developer that this is all a moot point.

Has USAC done that in the past? It seems that there are a lot of things it takes to put on a race night that USAC does not usually have to do. But then again, I guess USAC could hire someone that has the promoter skill set.

kinser 3/28/24 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 572844)
Has USAC done that in the past? It seems that there are a lot of things it takes to put on a race night that USAC does not usually have to do. But then again, I guess USAC could hire someone that has the promoter skill set.

Yes they did this with Bloomington a few years ago.

Tk04 3/30/24 11:52 PM

I believe there was a lease in place but some things happened and it fell through after the races were scheduled. It's unfortunate but unless something drastic happens I'm not sure you will see racing there this year, if not again.

PAW 3/31/24 7:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 572844)

I think it would be hard for USAC to come in and have the races there with the track not being open and no employees to do everything.

The Old Coyote 3/31/24 10:51 PM

April 1, 2024 PRESS RELEASE

In view of the apparently imminent demise of the Gas City I-69 Speedway, The Indiana Historical Society today announced that they have acquired the bleachers of the soon to be defunct Speedway.
In a hastily arranged press conference at their Indianapolis headquarters, Society Curator Larson E. Whipsnade explained the rational behind the acquisition. “This was an opportunity for the Society to save a piece of Indiana racing memorabilia that was an unending source impassioned discussion throughout the entire life of the Gas City I-69 Speedway”. Mr. Whipsnade further stated, “One section of the bleachers will be put on display at the Indiana Historical Society in Indianapolis for all to see and to reminisce about the great racing they saw as their spine, hips and knees deteriorated. The remaining sections will be put on display at the Schools of Civil Engineering at Purdue University, Indiana University, and the Rose Hulman Technical Institute as a living example of how NOT to design bleachers”.

Charles Nungester 3/31/24 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Old Coyote (Post 572924)
April 1, 2024 PRESS RELEASE

In view of the apparently imminent demise of the Gas City I-69 Speedway, The Indiana Historical Society today announced that they have acquired the bleachers of the soon to be defunct Speedway.
In a hastily arranged press conference at their Indianapolis headquarters, Society Curator Larson E. Whipsnade explained the rational behind the acquisition. “This was an opportunity for the Society to save a piece of Indiana racing memorabilia that was an unending source impassioned discussion throughout the entire life of the Gas City I-69 Speedway”. Mr. Whipsnade further stated, “One section of the bleachers will be put on display at the Indiana Historical Society in Indianapolis for all to see and to reminisce about the great racing they saw as their spine, hips and knees deteriorated. The remaining sections will be put on display at the Schools of Civil Engineering at Purdue University, Indiana University, and the Rose Hulman Technical Institute as a living example of how NOT to design bleachers”.

Exactly I-69 minutes early.............

LUCKYONE 4/1/24 8:20 AM

We are losing a great race track don't see anything funny about it

mc/rider 4/1/24 4:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUCKYONE (Post 572927)

Moe, Larry, cheese

sp6967 4/1/24 8:00 PM

Quote:

if some of the key board jockey's would get together the track wouldn't go anywhere.

oppweld 4/1/24 8:08 PM

April fools

PJ Wright 4/1/24 8:47 PM

Quote:

If crying would save it, I would be boohooing right along with you, but we know that doesn't help. Sadly, losing a track that provided lots of good memories has become a way too common occurence. But maybe GC isn't lost yet. I understand that the track has been for sale for at least a couple of years and it sure doesn't sound like he's lowered the price. He still has to pay the taxes and at least some insurance. He might realize that leasing it to a new promoter would make financial sense for him.

EldoraMark 4/2/24 7:42 AM

It's been for sale for years. Eight years ago Jack was asking 4 million and a friend of mine offered Jack 2 million. Jack just laughed at him. My friend then offered to lease it for 4 years and Jack wanted to go Year by Year. Jack is a wealthy old man. I'm sure Just sitting there and paying taxes on it isn't a problem for him. Hopefully next year they can get someone to run it. I do wish Usac would at least put a statement out there what there plans on Midget week and Sprint week is going to be with GC being in Limbo.

Indy1808 4/15/24 5:28 PM

Perhaps now that "Usac Racing" has a New President of Competition - (Jason Smith), he will speak out on this before we get into May?

Charles Nungester 4/15/24 6:09 PM

Yeah, cause if not. A certain track that's no bigger than LPS would like it's date back. for midget week.

Indy1808 4/16/24 4:05 PM

Well, I did reach out to the Trib Star to see if they might contact NEW Comp. Pres. Jason Smith about this & his new job but all I got was "Crickets". Perhaps if Joe Buckles is still around, he can find out. Not sure why this is so hard.

Many people following USAC have to travel and make arrangements for the season. So maybe 4 months after the 2024 schedule is announced, if you can't commit & lockdown the date, then you've lost the date. There has been ample time.

As much as I love gci69 racing, we must move on. I hope they come back.

sprits fan 11 4/16/24 5:22 PM

I would guess if Gas City don't run look for Kokomo to get their sprint Week date. Other tracks could fill in other dates.

Pancho Stapp 4/16/24 6:02 PM

Kokomo already has a sprint week date

Pancho Stapp 4/16/24 6:05 PM

They run there on the 27th i would go for 2 nights at #GYATK if they can swing it.

racefan20 4/16/24 8:29 PM

My guess would be Circle City during midget week and Kokomo during sprint week.

EldoraMark 4/17/24 7:41 AM

If I remember right and that's a complishment in itself Sprint Week had tracks that ran a two day show. I believe GS was one and Burg might of been the other. I would love to see Kokomo run a two day show.

Charles Nungester 4/17/24 7:51 AM

Eldora also held a sprint week race.

The Old Coyote 4/17/24 8:23 AM

How about Paragon for IMW, ISW & JDC?

Charles Nungester 4/17/24 1:26 PM

Sprint week and midget week were all about One night, each track. whoever did the best at all wins. I think two nights favors drivers who are better at that certain track for the championship.

Your also looking at a 8k to win 600 to start purse vs normal USAC show. Aproaching a month out from Gas City's first USAC show, you'd think someone could give a answer as too running or not. plans being made, hotels booked etc.

Fumanchu 4/17/24 2:44 PM

Has anybody who lives close to track gone by to see if there's been any movement?

Really sad about this track being dark always 1 of my favorites when I go back to Indiana.
And yes i'm planning to change my sprint week plans to only the second leg this year.
Between no GS and construction in Kokomo I feel better just to ride out first races at home and pick up last 4 in person.

Mud Packer 4/17/24 2:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fumanchu (Post 573303)
Has anybody who lives close to track gone by to see if there's been any movement?

Really sad about this track being dark always 1 of my favorites when I go back to Indiana.
And yes i'm planning to change my sprint week plans to only the second leg this year.
Between no GS and construction in Kokomo I feel better just to ride out first races at home and pick up last 4 in person.

I've been past the facility at least 10 times since the end of last racing season. I certainly haven't seen any movement what so ever. A friend of mine who lives in Gas City told me in December that it won't open until someone buys it. That being said, with the price tag being what it is, a race track won't be opening up there anytime soon.

jmamcd 4/17/24 3:49 PM

What construction in Kokomo?

racefan20 4/17/24 4:07 PM

They are getting city sewer at the speedway, they will have to dig part of the parking lot to connect to the city system.