IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Silver Crown @ Gateway Good or bad (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=121251)

767 8/22/22 9:20 AM

Silver Crown @ Gateway Good or bad

Just wondering what everyone thought about the race Friday? Is it good or bad for the sport?

I rewatched it on Flo last night. Was much better in person than on TV. TV missed several passes. I know several people from the Indy car Paddock came up to watch parts of the race.

duel 8/22/22 10:38 AM

Re: Silver Crown @ Gateway Good or bad

I thought it was good. Looks like the track may have been a little tough on engines.

dsc1600 8/22/22 1:15 PM

19 cars started, 9 finished, only 7 on the lead lap. Perhaps I missed the enormous crowd, but I didn't see many people. Had it not been on Flo, would anyone have noticed the race was run?

Maybe I'm being unkind, but I think it would be better for the series to stick to dirt miles and asphalt short tracks.

TommyTipover 8/22/22 1:29 PM

It's past time this series ran at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. 33 cars 3 abreast start. There are plenty of cars out there now to make this happen.

BrentTFunk 8/22/22 1:35 PM

I was there. I enjoyed it. The place was not crowded, but it seats a bunch of people. I would go back. We sat near turn 1, and it was neat watching the different entries and exits.

D Byrd 8/22/22 6:37 PM

very good. attrition was to be expected, as the track puts a strain on the cars, so preparation is huge. because the Silver Crown Series is in the legacy of the "big cars" that ran the Indy 500 and the IndyCar championship trail, the series belongs on big tracks like Gateway

not a great crowd, but decent, and obviously a lot of space to spread out so the place looked quite empty. title sponsor and an enthusiastic track owner who admits to "having a soft spot" for Silver Crown because that was the first type of race held at the track after he bought it, so hopefully it will continue. now just need to get to places like Iowa, Richmond, and Milwaukee, while also extending ALL pavement races to at least 100 miles

my kid (Nathan Byrd) LOVED racing there, ran as high as 3rd, and had his best Silver Crown finish of 5th. He can't wait to go back

BrentTFunk 8/22/22 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D Byrd (Post 556699)
very good. attrition was to be expected, as the track puts a strain on the cars, so preparation is huge. because the Silver Crown Series is in the legacy of the "big cars" that ran the Indy 500 and the IndyCar championship trail, the series belongs on big tracks like Gateway

not a great crowd, but decent, and obviously a lot of space to spread out so the place looked quite empty. title sponsor and an enthusiastic track owner who admits to "having a soft spot" for Silver Crown because that was the first type of race held at the track after he bought it, so hopefully it will continue. now just need to get to places like Iowa, Richmond, and Milwaukee, while also extending ALL pavement races to at least 100 miles

my kid (Nathan Byrd) LOVED racing there, ran as high as 3rd, and had his best Silver Crown finish of 5th. He can't wait to go back

I like the way you're thinking. I also thought Nathan ran good.

Vookie 8/22/22 7:43 PM

A nice eastern swing for the pavement Silver Crown cars; Oswego, Thompson Speedway and Stafford Springs.

flagboy55 8/22/22 8:04 PM

For me it served as a good reason to go do something else other than watch racing.

openwheelfan1 8/22/22 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 767 (Post 556670)
Just wondering what everyone thought about the race Friday? Is it good or bad for the sport?

I rewatched it on Flo last night. Was much better in person than on TV. TV missed several passes. I know several people from the Indy car Paddock came up to watch parts of the race.

We watched the race on Flo. I thought was a pretty good race, and I thought it came across well on TV. I did notice that Chet and Pat talked about action we never saw on TV, but that happens. Crowd appeared poor at best.