IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is this the end of THAT? (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=121529)

Charles Nungester 9/21/22 10:43 AM

Re: Is this the end of THAT?

I think the plan was solid, The execution a disaster. The Armco, Awesome, The track was kept fast and tacky.

The execution Im talking about is from the track to the customer. Should have all gone thru PR, Totally understandable the feelings and thoughts they were having after shows, But it's not a good image.

"There's something happening here, What it is, Ain't exactly clear."

DirtTrackTherapy16J 9/21/22 11:25 AM

So for me the first thing I look at is, instead of the race being cancelled altogether, at least it's still going to happen, same date, same time, just moved to the baddest bullring in the state and arguably one of the best tracks in the nation. That's a helluva lot better then just cancelling it altogether. We all have had our fill of rainouts and cancellations this year.

So alot of people jumped to TH maybe shutting down. Okay, well maybe you end up being right, I dont have that answer. However, let's all hope not. It's one of my favorites for me bc of the 1/2 mile and being able to go out into the infield and watch the race and be right next to the action. With that said...

Does anyone realize Mr. Ronk has a wife whoms son which makes him his stepson has cancer/is battling cancer? The kid is also battling injuries and broken bones from a race car crash earlier this year? He also owns/runs other businesses. Has anyone thought about this? Maybe some kind of doctors appointment or something like that got moved or changed? Maybe his personal home life is more crucial right now? Maybe he has too much going on in his personal life to put his heart and soul into this specific race and as close of friends as the O'Connor Family is, maybe he felt like for the teams, drivers, fans, it would be better at Kokomo?

I can also tell you things I heard on accident last night after the race is that it's not all Mr. Ronk, there are others involved on why this race got moved, which may or may not involve the fairgrounds. I realize some dont want to drive up to Kokomo after working all day. I realize some are tired of bullrings in general. Some may have had a 2 day camping, traveling trip from TH to The Burg planned all year for this. Hey, things happen unplanned and/or unexpectedly. At least the race is still going to happen. Support racing, support another track.

Prime example...anyone who is a fan of Grant, Bacon, Leary, Ballou...guess what...they need every race possible bc with the Championship so close in points, every race, every point, matters!!

B99 9/21/22 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 557820)
"The event that night was originally scheduled to take place at the Terre Haute (Ind.) Action Track, but the event’s promoters have decided that it is in the best interest of racers and fans to move the event to Kokomo Speedway rather than cancel the event.

“We are very grateful that the O'Connor family was willing to lend us their facility to hold the event,” race organizer Scott Ronk said.* “This late in the year, we hate for the teams and fans to miss out on an event, so we hope they will support this one and get another night in at a great track.” "

Mr Ronk, please tell us why you refused to honor what we thought was your commitment to hold this race at Terre Haute?

Perhaps you should be thankful they are still holding it, be it elsewhere. This may be on the fair board nd not Ronk. That fair board isn't the best to deal with, just ask the last promoter.

B99 9/21/22 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 557824)
I think the plan was solid, The execution a disaster. The Armco, Awesome, The track was kept fast and tacky.

The execution Im talking about is from the track to the customer. Should have all gone thru PR, Totally understandable the feelings and thoughts they were having after shows, But it's not a good image.

"There's something happening here, What it is, Ain't exactly clear."

Some racers and some fans here don't want to race on big tracks, some won't be satisfied until all tracks are about a 1/5 mile.

Charles Nungester 9/21/22 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B99 (Post 557832)
Some racers and some fans here don't want to race on big tracks, some won't be satisfied until all tracks are about a 1/5 mile.

Why am I quoted in this?
I love THAT and like others, and like others, tired of the quarters. I like a couple a year at smaller tracks but Sprint Cars were made to run! What makes the Outlaws sell out? RARITY and big tracks.

DaveP63 9/21/22 12:20 PM

I haven't posted on here in ages, but I'll chime in with what I know or think I know.

The fair board have been trying for a long time to quietly sell off the property and move the fairgrounds out east of town near Bird Gibson rec area. The original plan was allegedly a Home Depot, Target combo site. Guess who was driving that? It wasn't Larry Bird. There are a few instances where that was almost a done deal and it got torpedoed at the last moment. According to urban legend a certain famous driver told them that he had enough money to buy the whole thing and that they didn't want to try to out bid him. The plans for the new fairgrounds have included a track, a smaller track and no track at all. If I had to bet money on it, it'd be option C. They have succeeded in selling off a corner of it up by the highway and the ditch to Culvers. I'm guessing that's the first domino to fall.

Long time fans are pissed at the parking fee, (initially) higher ticket prices and no bring your own beer. That killed the crowds. If they address these things, they may come back. May be too late now.

Charles Nungester 9/21/22 1:30 PM

I never got there until like 2007 and there has been a parking fee of five dollars if you arrive after three every time I've gone. You either got there early, came in the back gate or PAID THE FEE. Don't know where this got people riled up.

The cooler thing was a bungle. First no coolers, Then allowed in the infield, Then allowed everywhere. But the message wasn't given to the gate workers (Apparently) No Carry in Beer to a place that sells it is pretty much a law (Depending on what license) TE just never checked.

As for the frontage being bought up. Far from the only fairgrounds to do so. Ohio's second largest county fair (Allen County) has several fast food joints. Last time I was in South Terre Haute there were a number of big lots with stores already on them closed up. Think some are over thinking the value of the land. The frontage, Yes, Everyone wants it.

miledirt 9/21/22 2:10 PM

I've come many times in the past to TH, not during the fair, with no parking fee and could bring in cooler with anything (no glass)
Those changes did make a difference. But at the same time, promoters can't just lose money... so I get it

rimrider69 9/21/22 3:25 PM

Does anyone know someone on the fair board to get a commit? Just asking !

TQ29m 9/21/22 3:50 PM

Often some people on a fair board are there in name only, some probably don't know where the place even is, it only adds to their resume, we used to have this problem with our own fair board, it became a storage area for their cast-off junk, including 3 old semi trailers full of old clothes and furniture, you need to be careful who you elect to have on your fair board.