Indiana Open Wheel
Page 1 of 2

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Windom (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=119056)

dkdorkboy 12/4/21 8:04 PM

Windom

Another one turns to wings. Announced at redraw at dome he's going full time wing racing next year.

dsc1600 12/4/21 8:36 PM

He sees Sunshine making triple what he does and wants some.

Chief Wahoo 12/4/21 8:40 PM

Re: Windom

Probably ditto for KTJ

racefan20 12/4/21 8:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo:
Probably ditto for KTJ

KTJ leaving was announced at Ventura. USAC is in trouble

Dirtfan 12/4/21 9:09 PM

The President & yet to be named EVP better do something,USAC is becoming a JC for Winged Racing.

Stevensville Mike 12/4/21 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by racefan20:
KTJ leaving was announced at Ventura. USAC is in trouble

Ahhh.... USAC isn't in trouble, Moe. It is just becoming a platform for moving on to the next level. Bigger and 'better' things.... more $$$.

There are plenty of racers who will step up and take their heavy swings for the fences in non-wing races.

But when NASCAR eventually destroys Flo Racing..... then USAC might be on the ropes.

Just kidding. :)

Kind of.

Charles Nungester 12/5/21 12:40 PM

Sometimes Veterans need walkers, Just how it is.
<Sarcasm>

Don't know how this hurts USAC as many that can win in it don't run because it's dominated by five guys.

Chief Wahoo 12/5/21 3:34 PM

I won’t miss them 2. Sorry Dirty Fan, I know your not lovin’ it :D. Hopefully Pursley will recover quick and we got Axsom ready to compete!! We’ll be fine

miledirt 12/5/21 4:31 PM

Not doubting this news about Windom and KTJ going wing racing, but anyone have any other links or stories on this?

progressive22 12/5/21 5:19 PM

Originally Posted by miledirt:
Not doubting this news about Windom and KTJ going wing racing, but anyone have any other links or stories on this?

No reason anyone can doubt Windoms story. It came right out of his own mouth at redraw for midget feature. Like was said at the dome the USAC point funds are a joke.

captrat 12/5/21 5:28 PM

In any sport when you are perceived as second tier or a feeder system for another level you will never achieve the market recognition for participants or sponsorship needed to advance your product. I enjoy minor league baseball but fully understand its limitations. More years ago than I would to admit I penned what was probably the longest letter ever published in NSSN. The gist being that the WoO were going to eat USAC's lunch and in terms of recognition and economics that has come to pass. Inconsistent leadership, lack of vision over many years are impossible to overcome even if you have a superior product.

revjimk 12/5/21 5:50 PM

Let me be the umpteenth person to say USAC needs to up its purses & point fund
I know, "easy for me to say"
But it sucks....:7:

yeleyfan76 12/5/21 5:54 PM

Originally Posted by captrat:
In any sport when you are perceived as second tier or a feeder system for another level you will never achieve the market recognition for participants or sponsorship needed to advance your product. I enjoy minor league baseball but fully understand its limitations. More years ago than I would to admit I penned what was probably the longest letter ever published in NSSN. The gist being that the WoO were going to eat USAC's lunch and in terms of recognition and economics that has come to pass. Inconsistent leadership, lack of vision over many years are impossible to overcome even if you have a superior product.

This is a spot on assessment. Sad but true.

revjimk 12/5/21 5:58 PM

"Hopefully Pursley will recover quick"
I hope so too, but I doubt if it will be quick
Serious injuries

jonboat15 12/5/21 8:36 PM

Originally Posted by miledirt:

Wondering the same thing. I haven't seen big daddy's interview, will he remain with the same team, will he run a series or pick and choose? The same for KTJ? It seems like money and winged sprint cars are what entices drivers to leave usac but we all know the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I wish usac would just lose focus on a few superficial things to maybe increase the value of their core products.

opnwhlmnd 12/5/21 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by revjimk:
Let me be the umpteenth person to say USAC needs to up its purses & point fund
I know, "easy for me to say"
But it sucks....:7:

Most on here already complain about USAC admission prices that promotors charge. If they raise the purse cost to the promotor the gate price will have to go up. I don't mind paying $35-$40, like an Outlaw show, to see a USAC show if the purse is increased however most here heads would explode if they did that.

As I have said many times ... for the USAC purse to go up the first thing that has to happen is the series drivers have to quit showing up at local non-sanctioned shows.

Even if they did raise the purses and point funds where are the new owners and drivers coming from? If promotors nationwide already will not book a USAC race at the current cost why would they look at a higher purse and suddenly say yes?

The Outlaws have an established brand nationwide thanks to the vision years ago of Ted Johnson. USAC is still trying to recover from the tragic plane crash of that same time frame.

One has to wonder would someone like say Tony Stewart buying the sprint car part of USAC make non-wing sprint racing more popular outside of Indiana, Western Ohio, and Southern California. Would anyone even want to try? We have already had a midget series owner state that his goal was to put USAC out of business. It did seem to make the USAC Midget division stronger so we can thank him for that.

And to answer the original question in this thread. Yes I believe Chris is still going to be driving for Brodie Heyward with a wing and the backing of NOS Energy.

Puppy 12/6/21 2:40 AM

Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd:
Most on here already complain about USAC admission prices that promotors charge. If they raise the purse cost to the promotor the gate price will have to go up. I don't mind paying $35-$40, like an Outlaw show, to see a USAC show if the purse is increased however most here heads would explode if they did that.

As I have said many times ... for the USAC purse to go up the first thing that has to happen is the series drivers have to quit showing up at local non-sanctioned shows.

Even if they did raise the purses and point funds where are the new owners and drivers coming from? If promotors nationwide already will not book a USAC race at the current cost why would they look at a higher purse and suddenly say yes?

The Outlaws have an established brand nationwide thanks to the vision years ago of Ted Johnson. USAC is still trying to recover from the tragic plane crash of that same time frame.

One has to wonder would someone like say Tony Stewart buying the sprint car part of USAC make non-wing sprint racing more popular outside of Indiana, Western Ohio, and Southern California. Would anyone even want to try? We have already had a midget series owner state that his goal was to put USAC out of business. It did seem to make the USAC Midget division stronger so we can thank him for that.

And to answer the original question in this thread. Yes I believe Chris is still going to be driving for Brodie Heyward with a wing and the backing of NOS Energy.

Even if someone like Tony WERE interested in buying the sprint car part of USAC, I doubt very much that it would be for sale... Besides, Tony has his mind on OTHER THINGS these days.....:18::18::18:

kinser 12/6/21 7:40 AM

USAC could raise the purse if they lowered the salaries of some of their personnel. Look up their financial reports and see how much the top dogs are making there.

opnwhlmnd 12/6/21 9:53 AM

Originally Posted by Puppy:
Even if someone like Tony WERE interested in buying the sprint car part of USAC, I doubt very much that it would be for sale... Besides, Tony has his mind on OTHER THINGS these days.....:18::18::18:

It was a hypothetical question with some sarcasm thrown in. Guess I should have used blue font, which is used on most forums for that reason, to make some realize that. I know it's not for sale ... Duh

Pitdad 12/6/21 10:33 AM

Ironic. 40+ years ago, the World of Outlaws forms because USAC wouldn’t allow it’s licensed members to compete in non-sanctioned events. Fast forward to today, and it’s the WoO that’s controlling it’s drivers and preventing them from competing in shows within an X mile radius of their shows (to protect their brand), and it’s USAC that has the problem with drivers giving it away at local (unsanctioned) shows.

berks co 12/6/21 11:43 AM

He said this weeks ago on Loudpedal podcast

dsc1600 12/6/21 12:19 PM

This may have changed, but the 4th and 5th place guys at a National USAC sprint show used to get paid $1000 and $900 respectively. That's terrible. It's very hard to get a top 5 at a USAC National show, and you're getting paid peanuts.

The sad part is though, USAC recently has tried to expand the series more and it hasn't paid off at the front gate. The 2nd PA swing was not very well attended, the Huset deal was a disaster, Knoxville is off the schedule. We know the purse needs to go up, but where do you get the money?

Charles Nungester 12/6/21 12:42 PM

Point fund needs raised significantly.
Don't know how you have several trips where even if you win a couple. You've lost thousands. on Travel, fuel, tires, motors.

Dirtfan 12/6/21 12:48 PM

Maybe they could do this:"Sometimes Veterans need walkers, Just how it is.
<Sarcasm>"
Possibly get one for yourself?

cl124 12/6/21 1:44 PM

This doesn't surprise me at all. I commented several weeks ago when someone posted the total earnings for the year. The 20th 'best' winged driver won more money than KT being the highest earning non-winged driver for the year and that was before point money which I'm sure would only increase the spread. I hate losing good drivers to wings as I'm a predominately non-wing fan but to me it's a no brainer for a good driver right now. Until the money becomes more comparable in the non-wing world I feel we will continue to lose good drivers and owners to wings.

sp6967 12/6/21 8:45 PM

Originally Posted by kinser:
USAC could raise the purse if they lowered the salaries of some of their personnel. Look up their financial reports and see how much the top dogs are making there.

i don't think anyone in usac is over paid. i would like to see some key board jockey run the top feeder series for both woo and allstars for less.

cornerthree 12/6/21 8:56 PM

Usac drivers that race for a living have to run local shows. Back in the day they wouldn't because the Indy 500 carrot was dangled in front of them. Now they have no chance to race a champ car for a living.

flagboy55 12/6/21 10:09 PM

Tree, that’s a good point. There’s been plenty of solid points. One thing that’s not brought up is the cost to run wing cars. I had a conversation with a guy who I hold in the highest regard at Terre Haute. He raced for an owner that stabled both genres. He said the budget for the wings was 3 times the budget for wingless if I remember correctly. Also if any of you listen to the great Justin Fiedler and his Dirtracker podcast, he recently had USAC champion Brady Bacon on a conversation episode. It’s a good listen if you can spare 40 minutes. But Brady eluded to the higher cost of wing racing also. So I’m guessing if those guy’s are leaving, and I wish them well because I’ll still be watching, but their money tree must be doing well to make the transition. And another thing. While the next level might have changed, the United States Auto Club has always been a feeder system. They’ve produced the greatest racers in history. I’ll just use one example and you guy’s can shuffle through the rest. Foyt!

revjimk 12/6/21 11:58 PM

Good points about admission price. I guess since its pretty localized, some folks take it for granted & forget how good they have it. Non Hoosiers like me end up spending low hundreds in gas & motels to see USAC & are happy to do it. You get what you pay for... wish I had an answer :11:

Gene Franckowiak 12/7/21 12:00 AM

It is very easy to say you are going wing racing but an different thing to be able to finance and sustain the cost to run a full time competitive wing team. I did in Central PA for 13 years......my bet is that both guys will be back with USAC by mid season if they try a full time wing effort. My opinion is that both guys will dabble with the wings and test the waters.

motorhead748 12/7/21 7:19 AM

One aspect of wing racing that I’ve not seen mentioned is the potential for a much increased T shirt sales. I’m sure the top USAC guys sell their share but I’d guess it pales to the top wing guys.

miledirt 12/7/21 9:44 AM

Still looking for something about KTJ going full-time wing next year

S2K 12/7/21 10:08 AM

https://fullyinjected.com/kevin-thom...-time-in-2022/

Charles Nungester 12/7/21 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by flagboy55:
T. And another thing. While the next level might have changed, the United States Auto Club has always been a feeder system. They’ve produced the greatest racers in history. I’ll just use one example and you guy’s can shuffle through the rest. Foyt!

Give that man a prize! Perfectly said. And after a certain age, the path kinda drys up. not that their talents couldn't go further. Just the path, financing, backing by a corporate sponsor and a teams willingness to try.

Didn't KTJ Go winged about six years ago, Won a race and lost his ride? I suspect with good backing he'll be successful.

chrismattlin 12/7/21 4:52 PM

The difference is that the WoO give their drivers' a place to race every single weekend, multiple times. USAC? You know as well as I do that no real racer and no for-real race teams are sitting on their hands for a weekend while USAC treks up to a place like Madison, WI to showcase 20% of the sanction's star drivers.

What is the incentive to get USAC drivers to quit showing up at local, non-sanctioned events? Punishment? That could be counterproductive, no?

chrismattlin 12/7/21 5:01 PM

Originally Posted by sp6967:
i don't think anyone in usac is over paid. i would like to see some key board jockey run the top feeder series for both woo and allstars for less.

I'm sure that Spridge would do it for half of KM's salary. But calling him a keyboard jockey is going a little far, don't you think? :8:

racenut69 12/7/21 5:14 PM

[B]If I could make it by selling T-shirts,and matting the loud pedal, I would try it tomorrow!...LOL!..[B]

Chief Wahoo 12/7/21 6:08 PM

Originally Posted by chrismattlin:
I'm sure that Spridge would do it for half of KM's salary. But calling him a keyboard jockey is going a little far, don't you think? :8:

Spridge and Ritchie are worth every penny. Now I wanna know who’s taking Levi’s place?

Charles Nungester 12/7/21 6:22 PM

I've said a lot of good about USAC and some bad and complaints aplenty. Never that they got paid too much. Other than the 96 or so dates they are away from home probably getting to bed about four am. there are literally months of planning to get next seasons dates and tracks set, Securing sponsorships and contingencies etc.

They earn their pay

chrismattlin 12/7/21 7:03 PM

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
I've said a lot of good about USAC and some bad and complaints aplenty. Never that they got paid too much. Other than the 96 or so dates they are away from home probably getting to bed about four am. there are literally months of planning to get next seasons dates and tracks set, Securing sponsorships and contingencies etc.

They earn their pay

Let us remember that not all on the USAC payroll are grinding it out with the "Circle Track division". (Not trying to put either group in a negative light, just saying.)