IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   "Gold Crown" Oct 2.3.4 Midgets & MOWA 410 Winged Sprints (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=80255)

Revin 9/17/14 10:30 AM

"Gold Crown" Oct 2.3.4 Midgets & MOWA 410 Winged Sprints

6th Annual Gold Crown Midget Nationals Presented by Dupont
Tri-City Speedway. Granite City, IL
Thurs/Fri/Saturday…Oct 2, 3 & 4

Midgets & MOWA 410 Winged Sprints

Midgets A Main Saturday $10,000 ($700 to start)
Additional starting position added for 2014
27 Car Starting Field “A” Main

USAC National Pts Awarded

Classes
Midgets (3 days)
MOWA 410 Non Wing Sprints (2 Days Fri/Sat)

Thursday, Oct 2nd – (Full Program 1 Classes) Midgets $3,000

Friday, Oct 3rd –
(Full Program 2 Classes) Midgets $3,000 /MOWA 410 Non-Wing Sprints $2,000

Saturday, Oct 4th –
(Full Program 2 Classes) Midgets $10,000/MOWA 410 Non-Wing Sprints $2,000

Parts/Tires/Fuel available at the Track

FREE Camping (NO Hookups
FREE Parking

Thursday, October 2nd - Full Program (1 Class)
Midgets - $3,000 to Win ($300 to start)

General Admission Gates Open at 5:00
General Admission Adult $22
(No Reserve – All General Admission)
Kids 12 & Under FREE

Pit Gates Open at 3:00
Pit Pass $35

Racing at 7:00

Friday, October 3rd - Full Program (2 Classes)
Midgets - $3.000 to Win ($300 to start)
MOWA 410 Non-Wing Sprints - $2,000 to Win ($200 to Start)

General Admission Adult $25
Kids 12 & Under FREE

Pit Pass $35

Saturday, Oct 6th – (2 Classes)
Midgets - 1 Additional Starting Position 26 Car Field “A Main” Saturday ($700 to start)
Midgets $10,000 to Win ($700 to Start)
MOWA 410 Non-Wing Sprints - $2,000 to Win ($200 to Start)

General Admission Adult $28
Kids 12 & Under FREE

Pit Pass $35

Tickets on Sale Now!
All General Admission – Tickets held in Will Call
(NO Reserve Seating)
Call Tammy Gundaker at 636-44-9111 or email to tricityspeedway@msn.com

Physical Address:
5100 Nameoki Rd
Pontoon Beach, IL 62040

Motel –
(Host Hotel For Tri City Speedway- Racer’s Discount/Code Tri City)
Sleep Inn & Suites – (1 Mile from the track Exit 6 Hwy 111
618-512-1314

Racetrack: 618-931-7836
Kevin Gundaker: 636-795-0052
Tammy Gundaker: 636-448-9111

email: tricityspeedway@msn.com
Find us on Facebook

Revin 9/17/14 10:32 AM

Re: "Gold Crown" Oct 2.3.4 Midgets & MOWA 410 Winged Sprints

Drivers doing double duty running Midget & 410 Winged Sprint

Rico Abreu
Zach Daum

***List any drivers you know****

chathamracefan 9/17/14 1:06 PM

Is Saturday a full show for midgets (heats & B mains) or just semi's for non qualifies and an A?

Jracer2m 9/17/14 1:20 PM

If any midget rides are open. I would be interested in running both. I'm racing my 17m wing car, but no midget.

Thanks
Joey Moughan
217 414-7269

ronmil 9/17/14 1:59 PM

This is one of my favorite events of the season! Now if they'd just lose the wings on those sprint cars.....

midgetmicro19 9/17/14 3:06 PM

I agree with previous post.
Get rid of the winged sprints.
Either non-wing sprints or don't have anything.
Keep it a midget race.
This weekend hasn't grown to what it is by having the winged sprints.
Typically after the winged heats & dash track is slicked off & junk
I find myself not supporting the race when I live only 1hour away

Jracer2m 9/17/14 3:16 PM

I'm pretty sure the stands were packed the times Ive seen a winged sprint and midgets show there. The non wings might bring 14 cars or so to it. Then loose 3 or 4 cars from attrition come Saturday. Mowa has a good following and we love racing at tricity. But to each is own. I'm looking forward to it

Revin 9/17/14 4:29 PM

Saturday's Event
Midgets run Lower Main's and 50 Lap "A" Main as in the past events

Regarding the Winged Sprints
Last years event was a great success and with a great fan base
We tried the Non-Wing and had a low car count.

We will do everything we can to put on a great event and keep the fans happy.

Thank you for your support!

racefan20 9/17/14 5:31 PM

Can you at least run the midget feature 1st?

jim goerge 9/17/14 5:41 PM

Thanks for the heads up You can keep the wings and I'll keep my money for non wing races :7:

miledirt 9/17/14 6:19 PM

Awesome show last year...MOWA will pull 30 cars with Rico and Bell running both, wouldn't miss it - great track and great promoter

DiehardRaceFan 9/17/14 7:32 PM

A great show every year. Looking forward to being there once again.

stealth43k 9/17/14 8:29 PM

Looking forward to my first trip there

Jonr 9/17/14 8:52 PM

I can not believe that some people are upset with arguably one of the best midget events of the year because you do not like the support division. Especially when the support division is 410 sprint cars. If we had to sit through six divisions of stock cars, I could understand being upset but to be upset over 410 sprints is unbelievable regardless if it has a wing or not.

I already have my vacation days entered for this great event. if we can just get the weather Gods to smile upon us. It has been a strange fall in the heartland

wrtracing 9/17/14 11:00 PM

Tammy & Kevin are doing everything they possibly can to please everyone. If you are a true race fan please come to support this event. I said event not race because this 3 day event has a little bit of everything. Great racing and before and after the races in the parking/camping area is a big part of it. The drivers, owners, fans, photographers and promoters are all out there having a great time. No one is unapproachable. The Gundakers continue to make this one of the best events of the year. See you there!!

ronmil 9/17/14 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim goerge (Post 392545)
Thanks for the heads up You can keep the wings and I'll keep my money for non wing races :7:

Jim,

I wouldn't skip this event because of the winged cars; there will be plenty of midget action to enjoy. Too bad they favor wings on their sprint cars in Illinois. The drawing area for Granite City is populated with primarily winged sprinters, so I can understand why they have trouble drawing a field of non-wing cars.

BrentTFunk 9/18/14 6:27 AM

I wish they had the support to run non wing cars, but it is Illinois. These people do a great job with this event, and hope everyone supports them. I will be there. Fans and teams say we need more big midget races. We will see which ones really want that.

SDHill89 9/18/14 7:27 AM

The MOWA series has saved sprint car racing in Illinois so I'm glad they get to be part of one of the biggest open wheel events of the year in Illinois. It's disappointing that the Gundaker's do everything they can to put on a great event for us and all they get for it on here is complaints. Hopefully they don't get fed up with it and and stop having the race. Luckily the 4 or 5 people on here that say they're not coming because the wing cars will be far outnumbered by all the people who do come because there are sprints along with the midgets.

mscs20 9/18/14 7:36 AM

5 times in the first post it says "MOWA Non Wing Sprints". That got me excited until I realized it was a typo.

Since when is a full field considered a low car count? We generally had a small B main with the non wing sprints, and 20 cars were started.

illinisprintfan 9/18/14 9:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDHill89 (Post 392609)
The MOWA series has saved sprint car racing in Illinois so I'm glad they get to be part of one of the biggest open wheel events of the year in Illinois. It's disappointing that the Gundaker's do everything they can to put on a great event for us and all they get for it on here is complaints. Hopefully they don't get fed up with it and and stop having the race. Luckily the 4 or 5 people on here that say they're not coming because the wing cars will be far outnumbered by all the people who do come because there are sprints along with the midgets.

MOWA does a great job and puts on great shows. In the last 2 years I have gone to 3 MOWA races and enjoyed them all. Heck, going to the MOWA race at Haubstadt last year convinced me to attend the WoO race there this year. (MOWA race was better by the way) I had avoided winged races for a number of years, but the MOWA shows were so good, it made me rethink my position. I still prefer them without wings, but I have come to appreciate winged racing again.

dirtnut 9/18/14 9:52 AM

Tammy and Kevin keep up the great work you are doing at Tri-City. Some people on IOW just aren't happy unless they have something to ***** about. Can not wait for the Gold Crown. Great midget racing and whatever else you run with them. Even if the pissers and moaners stay home I am sure you will have a great crowd and a great show.:6:

racenut69 9/18/14 6:21 PM

Quit complaining and let's go RACING!..MOWA will put on a good show and Rico will be worth the price of admission!!!!..I will be there,since the Hut Hundred has rained out 2 years in a row...:6:

El1teBr33ze 9/19/14 9:21 AM

Last year saw Bell, Bacon, Clauson, and PPM pull double duty. Add this year's potentials in Rico, Daum, Blackhurst, ABrown, Motsinger, Babb, Baugh, we could see some drivers having a busy weekend. The potential list, with the exception of Blackhurst (who didn't run his midget), all ran double duty at Spoon River last weekend.

This is my personal go-to event for the season. The first Gold Crown I attended, non-wings were the support class. I was in awe. Sure, I'd like to see them back as well, but the past 2 years MOWA has put on an awesome show. In the end, I'm there to see 40+ midgets battle it out. I can't thank the Gundakers enough for putting on such an awesome event. I will never miss this weekend.

racenut69 9/19/14 7:58 PM

2 years ago,"Yung Money" and Rico finished 1/2 and it was a great show..Banging the cushion or wall in turn 2,every lap!!!!..Don't miss it this year,I'm just sayin!

Andrew S. Quinn 9/28/14 6:43 PM

With the Gold Crown just a few days away,there are plenty of places nearby to eat,but here is a couple places you might not have heard about.

Dons No Mans Land Tavern 610 E St Louis Ave, East Alton, IL 62024 phone (618) 254-0020 was Morty's favorite watering hole,and on the first weekend of every month they have home made Taco's. Morty used to bring as many as 60 down to the parking lot at the Gold Crown in years past. Going from past posts I have seen on their facebook page, I believe they will be selling them on Friday from 11-1,and then from 3 onwards. On Saturday I believe its 11-6PM for the Taco's. Anyone that has had them will surely give you their approval.

On Saturday the Wood River Fire Dept 501 E Edwardsville Rd, Wood River, IL 62095 is having a Fish Fry from 11am till 6 PM. Cost is $9.00,and I doubt you will go away hungry. Last yr I went there with Debbie Mortland AFTER stopping in at Dons No Mans land for Taco's. This year I am going to plan ahead a bit better.:D:D

Both of these places are maybe 10 miles away if that. Not to far away.

Jonr 9/28/14 8:53 PM

Need to pray to the weather Gods. Weather is turning cold for the races.

Revin 9/28/14 10:49 PM

What's new this year at the "Gold Crown"

"Gold Crown Midget Nationals" will be available on PPV this year for the first time all 3 days. (see details below)

Each year the "A" Main field holds one more starting spot. This year's event finds a starting field adding 1 additional spot on Saturday Night of 27 of the best Midgets in the country competing for $10,000 to win with $700 to start.

This year we will be hosting a Wiffle Ball game between the Midget & Sprint car drivers on Saturday along with a bag tournament as well on Friday during the day.

The Budweiser Beer Garden will be set up in the Pit Area Friday & Saturday night after the races along with a Bon Fire for everyone to come down and enjoy and meet the drivers.

Midget & Sprint Drivers/Teams/Race Fans we want this week to be a great experience and everyone to have a great time. We are excited once again to host the DuPont 6th Gold Crown Midget Nationals. We will do everything we can to put on a great show.

The midget feature will run first each night.

Several drivers are doing double duty on Friday & Saturday. Race fans get ready!

FREE Camping (NO Hookups)
FREE Parking
Bon Fires are allowed (must be contained)

*New Quarter Midget track was built this summer outside the track behind turns 1 & 2. Please stop by
and check it out.

Kevin & I would like to Thank the Driver's/Crews/Race Fans/Sponsors for helping us build this event each year. the Midget & Sprint drivers are great to work with and it's great to give back.

Thank you for your support!

PPV Information & Details

Live Pay-Per-View broadcast of the all 3 nights of the Gold Crown Midget Nationals will be available on The Cushion (thecushion.com). Our Live broadcasts include the full night of racing - from Hot Laps thru to Victory Lane interviews each night.

Launched in 2013, TheCushion.com strives to become Open Wheel racing’s destination website for On-Demand Video, and Live Pay-Per-View race broadcasts. In 2014, the website will produce over 30 live broadcasts, and our Video-On-Demand library will grow to over 400 race videos.

Gold Crown PPV Pricing:
Oct 2: $21.99 (USAC Midgets)
Oct 3: $24.99 (USAC Midgets and MOWA Sprints)
Oct 4: $27.99 (USAC Midgets and MOWA Sprints)
3-Day Package: $67.00

Only need to be a FREE Member of thecushion.com, but all Paying Premium and VIP Memberships of The Cushion receive a 10% discount on all PPVs.
Link to ad (just Right click and Save As):

http://thecushion.com/wp-content/the...01_210x275.png

racefan20 9/28/14 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revin (Post 393839)

The midget feature will run first each night.

:8: Thank you! Cant wait :6:

BrentTFunk 9/29/14 5:57 AM

One of my favorite events of the year. There are races and then are events. This one is an event, I can't wait. As I said earlier, lots of people say we need more big midget races, here is a great chance to show promoters there is a market.

ronmil 9/29/14 2:20 PM

Weather forecast is not looking good for Thursday; if the forecast is correct hope it only affects one night. Hard to figure that October is traditionally the driest month of the year, yet the Gold Crown has been affected by the weather so much.

ISF 9/29/14 3:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonr (Post 392565)
I can not believe that some people are upset with arguably one of the best midget events of the year because you do not like the support division. Especially when the support division is 410 sprint cars. If we had to sit through six divisions of stock cars, I could understand being upset but to be upset over 410 sprints is unbelievable regardless if it has a wing or not.

I already have my vacation days entered for this great event. if we can just get the weather Gods to smile upon us. It has been a strange fall in the heartland

Couldn't agree more Jonr. I remember all too well the Sept. 6th POWRi double features at Macon, IL. There were 5 support classes and 4 of them were stock cars 2 of which were hornets! Sigh.

We're not able to attend The Gold Crown due to having to make a living but I'd sure like to. I'm not a winger kind of person, either, but I'll gladly take MOWA 410's any day over the debacle at Macon.

Stealth87 9/29/14 4:30 PM

I aligned my work schedule so that I would be working in STL this week, just so that I could make it to the Thursday and Friday shows. I haven't been to Gold Crown since the inaugural event. I cannot wait until Thursday night!!! I am even bringing 3-4 first time open wheelers, but long time race fans!

mc/rider 9/29/14 5:13 PM

I prefer NW races myself but anyone willing to strap on 900HP wing or NW usually means business. See ya at the races

racenut69 9/30/14 8:40 AM

^^^ Bump ^^^

PAW 9/30/14 7:20 PM

Bags are packed and truck was loaded by 1:30 this afternoon. Will be on the road by 8am.One of the best races of the year!

wolfpack58 9/30/14 8:26 PM

I'll be back for yr #3.Always a great show & really good time.By the way eastern standout Alex Bright is looking for a ride this yr and has always been a strong performer at this event.

Charles Nungester 10/2/14 9:36 AM

Seeing post on FB from reliable sources that Thursday is cancelled due to weather. Don't know anything else. Check for yourself.

El1teBr33ze 10/2/14 9:38 AM

It's now a 2-day throwdown! See everyone tomorrow!

openwheelfan1 10/2/14 9:39 AM

Per a USAC Face book post:

Tonight's opening night of the "Gold Crown Midget Nationals" at Tri-City Speedway in Granite City, IL is rained out. The event will now encompass two nights. Come join us tomorrow!

Steve