IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sammy Swindell (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=1745)

donhubbard 11/4/07 9:08 PM

Sammy Swindell

Heard that Sammy Swindell has been suspended from USAC forever for actions at Perris last night, is that true.

SHORTBUS 11/4/07 9:10 PM

Re: Sammy Swindell

Hope He Take His Little Brat With Him.

Jimmydiesel 11/4/07 11:10 PM

Amen

RandyF46 11/5/07 7:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHORTBUS (Post 16563)
Hope He Take His Little Brat With Him.

Why would you call him a brat? Do you know him?

I can think of a couple words that fit posts like yours.

Dirtfan 11/5/07 7:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyF46 (Post 16591)

In a couple of words I would describe SHORTBUS as a NICE GUY:thumb:

Goatboy 11/5/07 7:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyF46 (Post 16591)

How 'bout these two, FACT & TRUTH!

What did Slamin' Sammy do :crying: on an official or hit someone in the fist with his eye? :icon_smile_blackeye

Dblchkrs 11/5/07 9:42 AM

There are not many who know more about or seen more sprint car racing then Shortbus :respect: Not many nicer guys either(even if he wants to :censor: the flagman) :rolling:

RandyF46 11/5/07 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dblchkrs (Post 16601)
There are not many who know more about or seen more sprint car racing then Shortbus :respect: Not many nicer guys either(even if he wants to :censor: the flagman) :rolling:

I have been around Kevin numerous times and never found him to be a "brat".

I was wondering what shortbus based his opinion on.

petey 11/5/07 10:33 AM

I don't think brat is the right word to describe Kevin's apparent lack of repect to his fellow competitors and Sammy did not help matters Sat. night. I heard a story that Kevin was continuously flipping the bird to Mike Hess after the USAC midget race at Macon back in August. Again he has been a major disappointment this year to me a long time Swindell fan. This weekends episode is now making me weary of supporting them both.

tailtank 11/5/07 10:42 AM

petey I feel the same way. I grew up watching Sammy and Jeff as well as Ricky Hood, Lil Bobby, etc. and I am just finding it very disappointing that (if true) this happened.:(

Glad Brad 11/5/07 10:46 AM

Flipping the bird? Petey, have you ever heard of another driver flipping the bird at someone? I have seen examples posted on the message board. Please elaborate on how Kevin has been a "major disappointment" to you.

Kevin Swindell drove his butt off Thursday night - passed Casey Shuman on the last lap and ran everyone clean as a whistle. At least, that is what I saw on the video.

Glad Brad 11/5/07 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donhubbard (Post 16562)
Heard that Sammy Swindell has been suspended from USAC forever for actions at Perris last night, is that true.

How long is "forever"? Is this similar to "Double-Secret Probation" for Delta House?

thebus79h 11/5/07 11:01 AM

The way I read it, Sammy saw Daron going after Kevin, correct?

If so, I'll give Sammy more respect for standing up for his kid. Even if Kevin was in the wrong (which he probably was). I'm not a Kevin Swindell fan, but am a huge Sammy Swindell fan.

Just a question that will surely get this topic really going. Why is it ok for Jack Hewitt to do this sort of stuff (punch people, hold up races, cuss them out, and more), but yet Sammy cannot without being a dirty rotten *******? Just a question that I've pondered since reading this post.

Heromaker 11/5/07 11:09 AM

It was Kevin that got suspended for the rest of the Sprint Car season. And for the guy that said he didn't see Kevin touch anyone wasn't at Perris when he parked Ripper on Thursday and dumped Clayton on Saturday.

Glad Brad 11/5/07 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heromaker (Post 16613)
It was Kevin that got suspended for the rest of the Sprint Car season. And for the guy that said he didn't see Kevin touch anyone wasn't at Perris when he parked Ripper on Thursday and dumped Clayton on Saturday.

No sir. I was not at Perris. Just watched a video clip of the Thursday night "A".

Where were all the fans Thursday night? The grandstands looked like a ghost town.

Glad Brad 11/5/07 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebus79h (Post 16611)

If so, I'll give Sammy more respect for standing up for his kid. Even if Kevin was in the wrong (which he probably was). I'm not a Kevin Swindell fan, but am a huge Sammy Swindell fan.

Just a question that will surely get this topic really going. Why is it ok for Jack Hewitt to do this sort of stuff (punch people, hold up races, cuss them out, and more), but yet Sammy cannot without being a dirty rotten *******? Just a question that I've pondered since reading this post.

Great question. Jack "Do It" Hewitt showed the "fist" on several occassions. Mostly when Message Boards were non-existent. Fans revel in Jack's behavior and loathe Sammy for it. Double standard I would say.

wbr 11/5/07 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glad Brad (Post 16616)
Great question. Jack "Do It" Hewitt showed the "fist" on several occassions. Mostly when Message Boards were non-existent. Fans revel in Jack's behavior and loathe Sammy for it. Double standard I would say.

Probably just a different "era". The politically correctness some people feel we must follow today dictates that everyone act "nice" and don't offend anyone or hurt thier feelings. I don't buy into it though.

Joey Woods 11/5/07 11:33 AM

Quote:

JMO but Jack would probably have let Cody finish what Cody started. Also, when Jack ran over people he admitted it. I think the bandwagon started during sprint week when Swindell got hung up on top of another driver and tried to bulldoze his way off to keep from stopping a forward motion. I would imagine the kid is under a tremendous amount of pressure being Sammys boy and all, that probably plays into some of this scrutiny. Remember one thing, while Sammy is a racing icon hes still just good ole boy from TN at heart thus tempers will flare.

SHORTBUS 11/5/07 11:47 AM

I Could Have Used Something Like %$#%^^* If Thats What You Want

SHORTBUS 11/5/07 11:50 AM

[QUOTE=
I COULD HAVE USED SOMETHING LIKE :censor: :censor: IF THATS WHAT YOU WANT. :headbang:

Shawn 11/5/07 11:55 AM

I have never been a huge fan of Sammy Swindell's, but the Chili Bowl this past year sealed the deal as to why I am not a fan of his. It's sad to see his son follow in his path, but it appears he is...

I guess he gets it honest...

dirtnonwingfan 11/5/07 12:13 PM

I was at PAS also and had a good view of Kevin wrecking the Ripper in the heat race on Thursday. I also had a clear view of him running over Clayton Saturday, as I was sitting near the first turn and was watching the two of them. He just flat out hit both of them. Not clean racing, not a racing thing, he just ran into them.

Frank Daigh

RichC 11/5/07 12:29 PM

Quote:

Kevin Swindell drove his butt off Thursday night - passed Casey Shuman on the last lap and ran everyone clean as a whistle.
Hmm, Let's recap

Thursday - Took out Rip about as uncleanly as they get.
Friday - Spins by himself on initial start, takes 6 cars with him.
Saturday - Dumps Clayton out of 3rd place.

That is quite the trifecta. Some may argue that Friday's events were not unclean driving but their case/defense doesn't wash with the arguing going on that the pole driver waited too long to take off. I'm sorry, 1. Doesn't the pole driver control the pace? and 2. If the pole driver waits until the start cone to take off rather than go early and somebody leaves before the pole driver, who is at fault?

In general, I've seen the talent level between the West Coast and Midwest rise and fall. Sometimes the talent is better in one place over another. Right now, there's not a ton of white hot talent on the West Coast so I was a bit interested in seeing what this new bunch of Midwest kids looked like. I'm quite underwhelmed. In general, most of them seem to fly it in there hoping it all works out. That's not really "driving" to me.

I wouldn't fault Sammy for defending his son. After all, look at him. I don't think Chuck Liddell has anything to fear from this kid. I'd be disappointed if Sammy didn't kick his backside afterwards.

Having said that, I see that Clayton has improved a lot and maybe some of these other guys eventually will as well.

Why were the stands empty Thurs/Fri? Imagine that Perris was located where Gas City is. Imagine that there is no loop around Indy and that just one North/South highway exists to take you from Indy to Gas City/Perris. Also imagine that there really isn't any population to the north/east/west of Gas City and just about everyone comes from the south. Oh, also imagine that Indy has 15x more people and that while everyone works in Indy, the affordable housing is all in Anderson. Trafficwise, it's just not fun to drive to Perris in the afternoon during the week.

RandyF46 11/5/07 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHORTBUS (Post 16620)
I Could Have Used Something Like %$#%^^* If Thats What You Want

Then you admit you don't know him. So calling him a "brat" was a way to make you feel good? Ok, I've got it figured out.

By the way, I have been run into by Kevin. I still wouldn't call him a brat.

Dblchkrs 11/5/07 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyF46 (Post 16630)
Then you admit you don't know him. So calling him a "brat" was a way to make you feel good. Ok, I've got it figured out.

I think that was meant for me

Bubba Smith 11/5/07 12:54 PM

Quote:

Then you admit you don't know him. So calling him a "brat" was a way to make you feel good? Ok, I've got it figured out.

Oh come on Randy...you been run into by everyone. :doh:

usa1bowtie 11/5/07 1:12 PM

Quote:

T

No comparison at all. Don never had to fight Jack's battles. Also when Jack fought, it was for the most part, the other guy's fault. JMO.

RandyF46 11/5/07 1:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usa1bowtie (Post 16633)
No comparison at all. Don never had to fight Jack's battles. Also when Jack fought, it was for the most part, the other guy's fault. JMO.

LOLOLOL Hell yes it was thier fault.....................Just ask Jack!!!:rolling:

I know for a fact that Jack thumped Sammy on numerous occasions. At one point Jack was so mad that he told Sammy he was going to "beat his ass" every time he saw him that season.

D.O. 11/5/07 1:53 PM

SO rumor or fact ? Clayton gets fined $1000 for walking to or towards his pit??? from the crash site? Wasn't there didn't see video clip yet.

Hey at least Slamming Sammy has the passion to fight right or wrong at his age. Race fans will talk about that at the water cooler this week.

:thumb:

bigmojo5 11/5/07 2:33 PM

From Jim Morrison
So, just exactly who did Kevin impersonate? Dana Carter? A.J. Foyt. Jack Hewitt? Dale Earnhart? Tony Stewart?
And after reading this thread, all I know for sure is there was a crash, someone flipped someone off and someone, apparently, stood up for his kid.
That's never happened at a race track before. RIGHT.
Sounds like just a night of short track racing to me.

Mike Hunt 11/5/07 2:50 PM

Like Clayton hasn't ran over people and tore stuff enough the past 3 years. Yes it did appear Kevin caused this, heck Kevin just did him a favor at least he had somebody to blame for this wreck usually Clayton dumps it himself! Its funny the two most talked about things on here from Saturday were Sammy kicking Clayton's ass, and some naked dude riding a bike. :rolling: From what I saw that was a heck of a drive on the high side in one and two for Bud to steal it from Shuman.

Mike :shout

ossuks 11/5/07 3:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Hunt (Post 16645)
Like Clayton hasn't ran over people and tore stuff enough the past 3 years. Yes it did appear Kevin caused this, heck Kevin just did him a favor at least he had somebody to blame for this wreck usually Clayton dumps it himself! Its funny the two most talked about things on here from Saturday were Sammy kicking Clayton's ass, and some naked dude riding a bike. :rolling: From what I saw that was a heck of a drive on the high side in one and two for Bud to steal it from Shuman.

Mike :shout

1-Anytime you run the bottom and get passed, you wern't the leader, you were just there!!

2-Clayton has bent his share, but unless he landed on someone, he was not one to run over others. When a guy tips a few over they are automatically "all" his fault. Last year the Clayton kid got dumped the 1st three night out, not one time did he take action like he did Sat. Sometimes a man can only take so much!

3-Getting hit from behind and then having others jump in does not qualify as getting your @ss beat.

stanfillsigns.com 11/5/07 3:15 PM

SO what are the fines? Is Sammy really out for Life???? Is Kevin out for the Year??? Clayton fined??? I haven't seen anything about it anywhere?

Millsvideo 11/5/07 3:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.O. (Post 16637)
SO rumor or fact ? Clayton gets fined $1000 for walking to or towards his pit??? from the crash site? Wasn't there didn't see video clip yet.

Hey at least Slamming Sammy has the passion to fight right or wrong at his age. Race fans will talk about that at the water cooler this week.

:thumb:

D.O....

Clayton's "fine" is only a thousand dollar bond. One that he receives back as long as he doesn't have any problems at Manzanita this weekend (since it is the last race of the season). But, to clarify, this didn't happen in the pits. It happened on the front chute, in full view of the grandstand. The thing that bothers me about the whole thing is, an official tried to hold up Clayton from reaching Kevin's car, and that is when things escalated. Kevin is strapped in his racecar, so exactly what kind of damage can Daron do to him really? Shake the cage? Daron probably wasn't going to do anything but yell at him, much the way Sammy was allowed to do with Robert Ballou on Friday night in front of the the full view of the granstands, no less.

As for seeing the video, you won't. That is something that is not good for our sport, and I ceratinly won't glorify it by putting it on the web. Fortunately, Jeff Kristensen followed my lead. Now, I am uncertain whether the Lucas Oil TV production will air it, but I would hope not. I just don't think it is becoming of our sport. Just my opinion...

DM

SHORTBUS 11/5/07 3:52 PM

Quote:

RANDY,
WOULD DUMBAZZ BE MORE LIKE IT ??

mowerman 11/5/07 4:10 PM

Really,Sammy was a angel compared the BRAT

FOR4 11/5/07 4:16 PM

:rolling:Don't mess with the shortbus:rolling: Did Hewitt knock out Sammy at Lawrencebug a few years ago?

Pine 11/5/07 4:24 PM

Well, now all the old outlaw fans that defended Slammin' his whole career, can pick up where they left off when Slammin' semi retired. They can defend "Rocky, The Flyin' Squirrel" Swindell. The only difference I can see between Father and son is, Slammin' knew EXACTLY what he was doing when he was running through people and the kid is just plain and simple OUT OF CONTROL. Somebody needs to smack/talk some sence into this kid before he hurts/kills someone. Like they say the "NUT" don't fall far from the tree and it surely didn't in this case..... To the Swindell's:thumbsdown:...To Clayton:thumb: for having the nuts to do what no USAC'er had to do this year, stand up to the almighty Sammy and for trying to put the little :censor: in his place. OOOOO and for making that Truckers car look faster than I've ever seen it run. Good job this weekend and good luck at Manzy...:checkered:

RandyF46 11/5/07 4:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHORTBUS (Post 16652)
RANDY,
WOULD DUMBAZZ BE MORE LIKE IT ??

Why would you call yourself that?....Have more respect for yourself.:loser:

OpenwheelRob 11/5/07 4:47 PM

I think Shortbus is getting closer, He's already said 2 of the things on my list of what to call 'lil Swindell and that is one long list.