IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Taking Over The Helm Of GC... (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=124867)

DirtTrackTherapy16J 12/27/23 2:05 PM

First, I'd like to wish everyone a Safe and Happy Holiday Season. Secondly, this is a long read. Dont want to read it, keep scrolling, no problem. Third, I am not posting this thread to start drama, problems, or bash anyone. Fourth, as always I could care less how many likes I get, I'm not on here for attention, I get more attention then I want without social media on most days. Lastly, I'm only making this thread as it involves the potential future of one of our beloved Indiana tracks. With that said, let's go.

Gas City I69 Speedway use to be my 2nd favorite track, with Kokomo Speedway being #1 and that will never change. GC use to be booming, hopping, thriving, just an awesome awesome place for all ages including families. Even regular weekly racing the place was jam packed, sometimes tough to find a good seat and having to park clear in the back of the grass back by the tractor dealership.

Mr. Gappens had the place at an incredible high level of racing, the atmosphere was awesome, and lots of fun!! Huge car counts, huge attendance numbers. Things happen in life, things change in life, and an opportunity arose for Mr. Gappens and his family and he took it in which who wouldn't? I dont know anyone that wouldn't have taken it.

So in comes a new promoter, considered by some as a veteran promoter. Over the course of the last 2 years things have not went well outside of USAC shows. Some will disagree, most would agree. Take a survey of 100 random people between teams, drivers, fans, and employees and you can be assure 80% or better would say GC has significantly went down hill. Our racing family/group consists of 15-20 people any given race. Last year only 2-3 of us would go to GC to watch a race. Huge drop off just in one family/group.

I consider GC one of the best 1/4 mile tracks in the nation that does not have a wall. Most of the track doesnt have a wall for those who havent been there. These types of tracks I have learned are better for weekly racing vs tracks with walls. I know alot of people think weekly racing is going away, maybe it is, maybe it's not.

Last year at GC something different was tried, less races, more specialty races, new awards, new trophies, new races, 10-12 race season, still didnt pan out, again outside of USAC shows. Lots of fans and teams and drivers travel the USAC circuit so those shows will generally produce regardless of what track.

USAC 2024 schedules have been released. Gas City remains on the schedule for Midget Week, Sprint Week, and James Dean Classic. That's good news the track is staying open to some degree being operated and promoted by someone.

However, over the last 2 days, I received some information that I consider a late Christmas gift. 2 different people with ties to Gas City I69 Speedway who do not know each other, in one way shape form or another, with the exact same story, exact same names, stating a new team may be taking over the helm at GC, a pair of gentleman operating as a team.

I will not say who those 2 gentleman are, I will not say who my 2 sources are, ask away but I will not answer. I'm not that type of person who throws people's names out. Say it's not true all you want bc I wont give names or sources, that's fine too. I know my sources are very credible and the stories I was told makes perfect sense. Stay tuned, maybe they will make an announcement after the first of the new year and this becomes true public knowledge and hopefully the track comes back to the way it was just a few years ago!!

Speedmax3 12/27/23 3:49 PM

Re: Taking Over The Helm Of GC...

I know over the past couple of years rumors have swirled about Gas City since Jerry left. I don't know Larry Boos but had not heard good things about his departure from Montpelier so I was concerned about his promotion of Gas City. I do know that in conversations I had with Jerry that at some point he might have to consider cutting back on some races in that August, September time frame because of attendance falling due to a number of reasons so I was not surprised when Larry went away from a weekly show. Larry's promotion of Gas City in my opinion would be considered a disappointment by most. He could draw a crowd for the USAC shows but most weekly shows were a struggle including having a decent amount of cars for the support classes. I am encouraged to hear that there could be differant promotors taking over. Gas City is a great facility and it would be so disappointing if it closed again.

stockracer 12/27/23 5:32 PM

If your talking Goodnight and Benic not much of a secret...if someone else, then you might have a secret..

DirtTrackTherapy16J 12/27/23 6:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stockracer (Post 571193)
If your talking Goodnight and Benic not much of a secret...if someone else, then you might have a secret..

It's not about being a secret to me. Although I feel very strong about my sources, I am a 41 year old adult man and I do not throw out names without knowing whether its 100% true or not.

At this time what I was told has not been made official, therefore to me it's not 100% true as of yet, but again I feel very strong about what I was told. I simply am excited about what I was told and the possibility of the direction the track may be headed in the near future, including but not limited to an upswing from the past couple of years and felt I would share it on here.

Kart#51 12/27/23 8:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtTrackTherapy16J (Post 571196)
It's not about being a secret to me. Although I feel very strong about my sources, I am a 41 year old adult man and I do not throw out names without knowing whether its 100% true or not.

At this time what I was told has not been made official, therefore to me it's not 100% true as of yet, but again I feel very strong about what I was told. I simply am excited about what I was told and the possibility of the direction the track may be headed in the near future, including but not limited to an upswing from the past couple of years and felt I would share it on here.

This whole post is a circular reference from the initial post. To paraphrase you: “I have information and if you dont like it , move on. I’m not here for attention, but Oh by the way I’m not going to tell you what I know.” SMH 🤷🏻

My advice to you for future reference is to not make a public post if you aren’t convicted in your information. Maybe the best thing you can do isn’t to put it on IOW???

Been privy to a lot of sensitive information for years. Just ask my circle. A 6 Pack of beer and we’ve all been then wiser without collateral damage.
Worst thing I can do is make a post about it because it only backfires on you.

Dirtfan 12/27/23 8:58 PM

Very well said.👍👍 Way too much drama.

Rpracing1 12/27/23 9:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtfan (Post 571199)
Very well said.👍👍 Way too much drama.

You got that right brother! LMAO…

mc/rider 12/27/23 10:50 PM

Maybe theres other therapys to be considered

kinser 12/27/23 11:47 PM

Larry has a history, just look at the tracks he has promoted and has been ran off from. IMO Jerry did a great job at Gas City. I heard some people bash him when he was promoting Gas City but you know you can’t make everyone happy.

Speedmax3 1/4/24 4:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinser (Post 571204)
Larry has a history, just look at the tracks he has promoted and has been ran off from. IMO Jerry did a great job at Gas City. I heard some people bash him when he was promoting Gas City but you know you can’t make everyone happy.

You are correct, Larry does have a history and you can add Gas City to that history. He is gone as promoter at Gas City and the announcement of who is taking over is coming soon.

BrentTFunk 1/5/24 12:08 PM

I just hope that whoever takes it over goes back to the formula that Jiggs used to put Gas City on the map. No more than 3 classes for weekly shows, and an efficient, tight run program. For the teams that did nothing but complain and stir problems, I hope they race at Lima on Fridays.

Dirtfan 1/5/24 12:33 PM

Florida trip next month BTF?

BrentTFunk 1/5/24 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtfan (Post 571373)
Florida trip next month BTF?

Not this year. Have surgery next Friday, probably another in a month. My first racing will probably be Terre Haute/ Red Hill in April. May do No Way Out at Paragon, but $1000 to win for mods may keep me away if it is not a real nice day.

Speedmax3 1/5/24 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrentTFunk (Post 571372)
I just hope that whoever takes it over goes back to the formula that Jiggs used to put Gas City on the map. No more than 3 classes for weekly shows, and an efficient, tight run program. For the teams that did nothing but complain and stir problems, I hope they race at Lima on Fridays.

Brent, let me say this, his promotion of Gas City didn't start well and never really got any better. There were constant issues which began from his promotion of Montpelier. He was let go there because he owed the owner money and didn't payoff at the end of the year points. The two tracks are in close proximity so several of those teams had also run at Gas City in the support classes. A lot of those guys chose to not support Gas City because of issues at Montpelier. He changed the entire program of hot laps, qualifying, and the redraw which was his right as promoter but few were on board with. He basically told some sprint car teams during a drivers meeting as they brought up the super bad track conditions early in his tenure to shut up or go somewhere else. That alone kind of set the tone going forward. You can ask the Gas City track champion if he ever got paid for his points championship and that would be a no. Crouds really dwindled and I doubt he made any money except the USAC shows when the place was packed. When the new promoter makes his announcement you will see a lot of the program return and hopefully he can get the cars and fans back. I love Gas City and did not want it to close and wish the new promoter well.

BrentTFunk 1/5/24 1:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedmax3 (Post 571376)
Brent, let me say this, his promotion of Gas City didn't start well and never really got any better. There were constant issues which began from his promotion of Montpelier. He was let go there because he owed the owner money and didn't payoff at the end of the year points. The two tracks are in close proximity so several of those teams had also run at Gas City in the support classes. A lot of those guys chose to not support Gas City because of issues at Montpelier. He changed the entire program of hot laps, qualifying, and the redraw which was his right as promoter but few were on board with. He basically told some sprint car teams during a drivers meeting as they brought up the super bad track conditions early in his tenure to shut up or go somewhere else. That alone kind of set the tone going forward. You can ask the Gas City track champion if he ever got paid for his points championship and that would be a no. Crouds really dwindled and I doubt he made any money except the USAC shows when the place was packed. When the new promoter makes his announcement you will see a lot of the program return and hopefully he can get the cars and fans back. I love Gas City and did not want it to close and wish the new promoter well.

Gas City has always been a favorite of mine. I think it is the best track in America without a crash wall. I used to work there for Jiggs and also worked at Kokomo in the 90's. There are always people who tear down tracks. When I worked at Kokomo there was a team that constantly complained. They complained about the purse, track conditions, even how many hot laps they got compared to the sprint cars.
One night we noticed that none of them had wristbands on. We checked every trailer going into the pits the next week. The 2 teams that complained the most, had 5 and 7 people hid in their trailers. Ironically, they complained about getting caught. Said if we paid more, they wouldn't have to sneak in.
With what Larry was handed, I thought he did ok. For MidgetWeek 2 years ago he went above and beyond with the rainout policy. Always has been drama at Montpeliar, and probably always will be. Whoever takes it over, I will support them as much as I can.

DirtTrackTherapy16J 1/9/24 2:27 PM

An announcement was made approximately an hour ago on Gas City I69 Speedway's social media page that the track WILL BE under new management in 2024!!!!!!!!!! Best news I've seen today!!!!

Furthermore comments have been turned off on the page as it does not state the name(s) of the person(s) taking over as new management but does state more announcements will be coming.

Chief Wahoo 1/9/24 2:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrentTFunk (Post 571374)
Not this year. Have surgery next Friday, probably another in a month. My first racing will probably be Terre Haute/ Red Hill in April. May do No Way Out at Paragon, but $1000 to win for mods may keep me away if it is not a real nice day.

Hope all goes well for you and you get back to the track ASAP. I should be at those 3 races as well.

hoscalecody 1/10/24 7:00 AM

Thing is a lot of people bash Larry. Way I look at it, out of everyone I talked to. It didn't sound like anyone, but Larry was even considering promoting GC when Jerry left. So if Larry didn't promote it, there could've been a good chance it was closed down for them 2 years or more. Also people seem to not understand Larry has his own money into the track. Anyone that promotes a track does, It's not free to promote a track and most everyone i've ever talked to that does weekly stuff all year. Usually they start losing decent bit of money.

One of my biggest complaints with GC, which is why we didn't go very often. Seems like the place always was pretty rough. No matter who was promoting or what the weather was like.

BrentTFunk 1/11/24 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoscalecody (Post 571497)
Thing is a lot of people bash Larry. Way I look at it, out of everyone I talked to. It didn't sound like anyone, but Larry was even considering promoting GC when Jerry left. So if Larry didn't promote it, there could've been a good chance it was closed down for them 2 years or more. Also, people seem to not understand Larry has his own money into the track. Anyone that promotes a track does, It's not free to promote a track and most everyone i've ever talked to that does weekly stuff all year. Usually, they start losing decent bit of money.

I agree. The guy saves 2 tracks, and people act like he just shot their puppy. I would be willing to bet, that the same people who complained about Larry will be the same people who will complain about the next person who takes over.
I did notice that even though there was plenty of opportunity for a complainer to take over, none were willing to do it. The reason why is it is a lot of hard work, and not a big financial reward.

B99 1/11/24 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrentTFunk (Post 571514)
I agree. The guy saves 2 tracks, and people act like he just shot their puppy. I would be willing to bet, that the same people who complained about Larry will be the same people who will complain about the next person who takes over.
I did notice that even though there was plenty of opportunity for a complainer to take over, none were willing to do it. The reason why is it is a lot of hard work, and not a big financial reward.

You just might be too smart to be a member of an internet forum. Too much logic and reason. :D

Charles Nungester 1/11/24 12:25 PM

Dick Trammel laid out what GC did to me when he still worked the gate. Been told the same by others and at other tracks. That without a lot of sponsorship sales. Weekly shows don't make a dime and may make or lose a little based on attendance.

The Specials if well attended can do well for the till. Not attended well and you can take a bath on em.

Yeah, there's a lot of hard work, investment etc. But who the hell gives the promotor a atta boy for doing it at all? All I see is getting it from about six sides. Fans, Competitors, sponsors, bills, insurance. employees.and probably some things like the CITY or Township I don't even think about. EPA etc.

Dirtfan 1/11/24 8:58 PM

Charles,his name is/was Dick Trammel?

Charles Nungester 1/11/24 11:28 PM

Richard.

Dirtfan 1/11/24 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 571541)
Richard.

Trammell or Terrell?

Charles Nungester 1/12/24 12:09 AM

Terrell

So sorry, was a great guy, would give the shirt of his back.

Wasn't intentional.

Jerry Shaw 1/12/24 12:11 PM

I don’t think I ever met a person that knew more about open wheel racing than Dick Terrell. I really miss that guy. But, so do many other people.

Jerry

Dirtfan 1/12/24 12:29 PM

Dick Terrell,Bill Walls & Paul Westfall,when you saw one the other two were close by,Rest in Peace Gentlemen🏁🏁🏁

Charles Nungester 1/12/24 4:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtfan (Post 571557)
Dick Terrell,Bill Walls & Paul Westfall,when you saw one the other two were close by,Rest in Peace Gentlemen🏁🏁🏁

And who was the guy who worked IMS Museum a lot. I really hate that Im forgetting these folks names but they were great to be around at the track.

Moreland76 1/12/24 4:37 PM

Charles, your not thinking of Dwight Clock are you?

Charles Nungester 1/12/24 4:42 PM

Bingo Talked to him every time he could make GC when I went, Once for the whole evening.

OnTheHammer 2/6/24 5:04 PM

Been almost a month. Where is the 'official' announcement and a schedule?

DirtTrackTherapy16J 2/7/24 10:32 AM

OnTheHammer your right, it has almost been a month since the now former promoter publicly announced on Gas City Speedway Facebook page (very shortly after I started this thread mind you) that he was stepping away from the track and moving on and that the track would be under new management. Comments were blocked and no announcements have been made since.

I dont own the property, I dont promote the track, I am not employed by the track, I dont make the decisions. I simply support the track all I can. I also like you and many others would love for an announcement to be made on who is taking over and see a schedule for 2024. However, just like I told my brother who wasn't happy about no schedule yet, why? What's the rush? Its the first of Feburary. USAC posted their schedules and it shows 3 races at GC. Midget Week, Sprint Week, James Dean Classic. Never seen a person schedule their vacation nor racing life and schedule around weekly shows.

If you want more answers, faster answers, maybe try calling the track or reaching out to them on social media. Maybe comments have been turned back on. Maybe they will respond and have answers when and if they respond. If you dont like my answers, sorry. If you dont like me, sorry not sorry.

Speedmax3 2/7/24 4:15 PM

There is no official announcement coming yet as Gas City Speedway is still in limbo. There is a group that is ready to take over promotion and they asked the owner to provide a contract about a month ago. So far no contract has been provided so as time goes on this certainly doesn't help the possible new promoters put a schedule together even though I'm sure they have some idea of what it might be.

BrentTFunk 2/9/24 10:31 AM

I am surprised that none of the experts, who did nothing, but bash Larry have stepped up. Would have been a great way to show us how to do it.

The Old Coyote 2/9/24 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrentTFunk (Post 572113)
I am surprised that none of the experts, who did nothing, but bash Larry have stepped up. Would have been a great way to show us how to do it.

Now, now, Brent. Don't be an agitator:D Otherwise, you will have change your name to Maytag:5::5:

B99 2/9/24 5:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrentTFunk (Post 572113)

That might have required intelligence, hard work and money, not just typing skills.

TQ97 2/25/24 11:07 AM

Last year the non USAC portion of the schedule was announced on Feb 28th. Facebook postings and other whispers are that one of the financial backers of the new promotion has backed out. Seems like if something was to happen in regards to any sort of regular schedule we’d find out within the next week. Seems like GC is on life support unfortunately.

OnTheHammer 2/26/24 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQ97 (Post 572397)
Last year the non USAC portion of the schedule was announced on Feb 28th. Facebook postings and other whispers are that one of the financial backers of the new promotion has backed out. Seems like if something was to happen in regards to any sort of regular schedule we’d find out within the next week. Seems like GC is on life support unfortunately.

Both GC and Montpelier seem to be on life support this season.

mc/rider 2/26/24 6:07 PM

With Kokomo just doing special events there seems to be a dirt track void in that section of Hoosierville.

BrentTFunk 2/27/24 2:01 PM

Why would anybody with money want to get involved, and deal with all that complaining? And on top of it probably lose money. A lot of the same people who complained raced at Gas City, and Montpelier. Am I the only one noticing a pattern?