IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Honest Abe Roofing Winged Mavericks Sprint Car Series (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=124190)

Maverick Winged Sprint Series 9/13/23 6:47 PM

Honest Abe Roofing Winged Mavericks Sprint Car Series

1 Attachment(s)
Today, Kevin Newton, the President, and CEO Honest Abe Roofing Company in conjunction with Joe and Jill Spiker of JS Promotions announced the formation of the Honest Abe Roofing Winged Mavericks Sprint Car Series. The inaugural event will be held on Friday, October 6 at Lincoln Park Speedway in Putnamville, Indiana. A $32,000 purse will be posted with a $6,000 top prize going to the winner of the 30-lap main event.
In 2024 it is anticipated that the new wing 410 series will offer a ten-to-twelve-week schedule with races slated at Lincoln Park and Bloomington Speedway’s with additional dates and venues to be determined. Jill Spiker of JS Promotions noted, “we felt the time was right to move in this direction. We remain committed to traditional sprint car racing but see this as a natural landing spot for drivers interested in moving up from 305 wing sprint cars.” Spiker also notes that many drivers who race traditional sprint cars “have shown an increased interest in expanding their horizons.”
Kevin Newton of Honest Abe Roofing remains an active competitor in wing and traditional sprint cars and has lent his support to a wide range of racing ventures. “I enjoy wing racing and our State doesn’t have that,” Newton says, “We are strong in the non-wing realm, and it will remain strong, but there is plenty of bandwidth for wing racing to have a spot here. I reached out to JS Promotions with the idea, and they said let’s do it. I am excited to give drivers who came through the micros and 305’s the chance to progress in their career.”
The October 6 race schedule is as follows.
Pit Gate opens 3pm
Pit Admission $40/10 & under free
Main Gate opens 5pm
General Admission $25/10 & under free
Hot Laps 6:30
Group Qualifying 7:15
Racing 8:00
2024 Top 10 Point Fund - 3000,2000,1500,900, 800, 700, 650,625,600,575
For more information check out our facebook page which is under construction or info@mavericksprints.com

IndianaSprintFan 9/13/23 9:15 PM

So as a causal fan who doesn’t know much other than the obvious between wing/ non wing. How hard would it be for local non wing cars to run both ways if they so desire.

Charles Nungester 9/13/23 9:37 PM

Re: Honest Abe Roofing Winged Mavericks Sprint Car Series

Non Wing has a wider front axel. Rear Ride height is lower on Non Wing. More stagger on Non Wing
I've seen the same car run both in one night but if the classes run back to back, Forggetaboutit.

Twister17 9/13/23 9:47 PM

To be competitive there’s far more differences then a front axle. Wheel offsets, birdcages, shocks, engine heights, torsion bars, front arms and engines. That being said it’s fantastic that there’s wing racing in Indiana that pays well!

staggerman 9/13/23 9:58 PM

I pretty excited to see some more winged 410 shows in Indiana. Too bad they are running against MOWA at Jacksonville on Oct 6 with their first race at Putnamville. Would have thought the Illinois cars would help the car count. If they ran Putnamville on Saturday that would be a great 2 day weekend.

cmakin 9/14/23 9:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 568482)
Non Wing has a wider front axel. Rear Ride height is lower on Non Wing. More stagger on Non Wing
I've seen the same car run both in one night but if the classes run back to back, Forggetaboutit.

Yup. Just shot the USAC/Elite Outlaw show last weekend. Paul White ran both classes and had different cars for each.

767 9/14/23 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmakin (Post 568488)
Yup. Just shot the USAC/Elite Outlaw show last weekend. Paul White ran both classes and had different cars for each.

Let's face it there are far more high paying winged races. We need more races for drivers here in Indiana.

Charles Nungester 9/14/23 10:23 AM

I wish em well, I just don't see it. take a base and dilute it further.

motorhead748 9/14/23 1:02 PM

There hasn’t been many to judge from but How was the fan attendance at the wing shows in Indiana the last couple years other than the WoO shows? Didn’t FAST have a couple this year? And ASCOC last year?
That may be an indicator of how this may do.

Rpracing1 9/14/23 1:52 PM

If this is a standard purse per event, then it is significantly larger than an upper ASCS event purse.

I think Abe has pretty deep pockets.

flagboy55 9/14/23 2:50 PM

As I’ve said plenty in the past, I am not and never was a wing hater. I’m dang proud to be an Indiana wingless Sprint Car fan. Isn’t the problem everyone complains about is that there’s not enough money in real Sprint Cars? I wish Abe would just spend more money on wingless exposure and race’s. But it’s his money he can do what he wants. I personally don’t think it’s going to be a big success, but I don’t wish bad luck to them. Circle City was going to reinvent the wing in Indiana and that didn’t go so well. I was at Kokomo for the 26k Allstars show and you see as many people on fireworks night. I understand that there are people, even in this state that might prefer wings, but for me and many others, I’m happy to be the state of Sprint Car racing, the way God created them

The Old Coyote 9/14/23 3:00 PM

:D:D:D..."the way God created them"...

That's right. They weren't born with a wing on them!!!:D:D:D

Vookie 9/14/23 6:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Old Coyote (Post 568495)
:D:D:D..."the way God created them"...

That's right. They weren't born with a wing on them!!!:D:D:D

The first sprint cars did have wings on them but a mohel was brought in and gave those cars a circumcision. ;)

Stevensville Mike 9/14/23 7:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick Winged Sprint Series (Post 568478)
Today, Kevin Newton, the President, and CEO Honest Abe A $32,000 purse will be posted with a $6,000 top prize going to the winner of the 30-lap main event.
In 2024 it is anticipated that the new wing 410 series will offer a ten-to-twelve-week schedule with races slated at Lincoln Park and Bloomington Speedway’s with additional dates and venues to be determined.....

....2024 Top 10 Point Fund - 3000,2000,1500,900, 800, 700, 650,625,600,575

Taking a couple of splices out of the initial post (above):

I see the big payout for the initial race on 10/6. But the last part of the post.... $3000 to the champ or $3000 to the winner per race? If it is the latter, yes - DEEP pockets!

brian2h 9/14/23 7:56 PM

I’m excited for it! I’ve wanted to get Ivan in a 410 wing I bought a car before the fast race at paragon and we ran at ozark speedway a couple weeks ago. Was going to sell it because of to much travel but not now. I think it will take off just fine it will take a couple years to build car counts and a fan base. We will back it 100%!

TQ97 9/14/23 9:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike (Post 568498)
Taking a couple of splices out of the initial post (above):

I see the big payout for the initial race on 10/6. But the last part of the post.... $3000 to the champ or $3000 to the winner per race? If it is the latter, yes - DEEP pockets!

I took it as saying $3000 to the champ since it references point fund.

Stevensville Mike 9/14/23 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQ97 (Post 568500)
I took it as saying $3000 to the champ since it references point fund.

Me, too.

Maverick Winged Sprint Series 9/15/23 8:37 AM

The Honest Abe Maverick Winged Sprint Series Purse Information

The purse for October 6th is as follows: 1) $6,000.00 2) $5,000.00
3) $4,000.00 4) $2,000.00 5)$1,900.00 6)$1,800.00 7) $1,600.00
8 )$1,400.00 9)$1,200.00 10)$1,000.00 11)$900.00 12)$800.00
13)$700.00 14)$650.00 15)$550.00 16)$500.00 17)$500.00
18)$500.00 19)$500.00 20)$500.00

Now the standard purse for the races in 2024 is as follows:
1)$5,000.00 2)$4,000.00 3)$3,000.00 4)$1,500.00 5)$1,300.00
6)$1,200.00 7)$1,100.00 8 )$1,000.00 9)$800.00 10)$750.00
11)$650.00 12)$600.00 13)$575.00 14)$525.00 15)$500.00
16)$500.00 17)$500.00 18)$500.00 19)$500.00 20)$500.00

Stevensville Mike 9/15/23 9:21 AM

Wow!

snowdrift 9/15/23 12:38 PM

This will pull cars from Ohio/Michigan/Illinois cause the wing guys will travel

deadhorse30 9/15/23 1:20 PM

The fans are going to make or break this series, not the teams. There are plenty of wing teams in the Indy area and with a purse like that, teams will travel a little.

WingedFan2019 9/15/23 3:26 PM

I’ll definitely be attending as many of these shows as possible. Will be nice to have more winged racing in Indiana. Pull some USAC/non wing guys and see if they can keep up!

Andrew S. Quinn 9/15/23 6:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadhorse30 (Post 568513)
There are plenty of wing teams in the Indy area and with a purse like that, teams will travel a little.

Who are all the wing teams in the Indy area that dont race with WoO or the All Stars etc?

Asking for a friend......

brown11b 9/15/23 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadhorse30 (Post 568513)
The fans are going to make or break this series, not the teams. There are plenty of wing teams in the Indy area and with a purse like that, teams will travel a little.

As someone just said most of the wing teams in Indy area are already out on tour with WoO & ASCOC.

Circle City tried to make themselves Indiana's wing track and could not get any car count to support it.

I hope this works out, and wish Kevin the best of luck with it, but think it will take several seasons of funding to get anything going.

opnwhlmnd 9/16/23 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagboy55 (Post 568494)
I’m happy to be the state of Sprint Car racing, the way God created them

If "god" created a sprint car without a wing why did he realize his/her mistake and create a wing for them?

captrat 9/16/23 1:07 PM

Oh yeah let's divide the competitor base and fan dollars even further. Will work in the self-interest of a few, but doubt it will serve the overall health of Sprint car racing in a positive way. The alphabet is already suffering from overload!

flagboy55 9/16/23 1:34 PM

God created wings on birds, satan on sprint cars

Nobody 9/16/23 4:04 PM

Would everyone with the negative comments just shut up…. Quit ********!

Somebody comes along to help the sport and build something and people cant do anything but ***** and moan, except for Hayden.

Im nobody but a dad. I have raced since the age of 9. Raced sprint cars way back in the day. I raced non wing mostly but also raced wing too, not only dirt but pavement too wing and non wing.

My kid Shane O’Banion races sprint cars. We raced a year and a half non wing 410, a year and a half with a 305 RaceSaver, and now were racing wing 410 and he loves it! We have to frickin travel a minimum of 3.5 hours to race anywhere and have had to also travel 12.5 hours a few times this year. It sucks but it is what it is. We dont ***** or whine about it. We enjoy wing 410 racing and really appreciate Kevin Newton for this amazing opportunity to race close to home and growing the sport of sprint car racing for fans and racers too. I bet you there will be a lot of non wing guys giving wing racing a shot. Paragon, Bloomington, and Warsaw was my shot for wing racing way back in the day and the sport was frickin awesome!

Kevin Newton and Honest Abe Roofing I thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you have done to make our sport better in the state of Indiana!!!

Jeff “Auggie” O’Banion. aka nobody…

The Old Coyote 9/16/23 4:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd (Post 568531)
If "god" created a sprint car without a wing why did he realize his/her mistake and create a wing for them?

Maybe it wasn't God who created the Winged Sprint Car:D:D:D

The Old Coyote 9/16/23 4:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagboy55 (Post 568533)
God created wings on birds, satan on sprint cars

Sorry, flagboy55, I responded to opwhlmnd before I read your post.

Blackduce 9/16/23 5:49 PM

Feels good to see a racer put his money where his mouth is!

Lynn

captrat 9/16/23 8:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobody (Post 568537)
Would everyone with the negative comments just shut up…. Quit ********!

Somebody comes along to help the sport and build something and people cant do anything but ***** and moan, except for Hayden.

Im nobody but a dad. I have raced since the age of 9. Raced sprint cars way back in the day. I raced non wing mostly but also raced wing too, not only dirt but pavement too wing and non wing.

My kid Shane O’Banion races sprint cars. We raced a year and a half non wing 410, a year and a half with a 305 RaceSaver, and now were racing wing 410 and he loves it! We have to frickin travel a minimum of 3.5 hours to race anywhere and have had to also travel 12.5 hours a few times this year. It sucks but it is what it is. We dont ***** or whine about it. We enjoy wing 410 racing and really appreciate Kevin Newton for this amazing opportunity to race close to home and growing the sport of sprint car racing for fans and racers too. I bet you there will be a lot of non wing guys giving wing racing a shot. Paragon, Bloomington, and Warsaw was my shot for wing racing way back in the day and the sport was frickin awesome!

Kevin Newton and Honest Abe Roofing I thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you have done to make our sport better in the state of Indiana!!!

Jeff “Auggie” O’Banion. aka nobody…

Do we have to agree with you or can we have an opinion that differs from yours? Asking for a friend.

azsprintfan1 9/16/23 9:07 PM

I wonder if there will be any streaming of these races?

cmiracingvids 9/17/23 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsprintfan1 (Post 568546)
I wonder if there will be any streaming of these races?

Spiker doesn’t stream anything. I would say no.

Kart#51 9/17/23 1:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captrat (Post 568532)
Oh yeah let's divide the competitor base and fan dollars even further. Will work in the self-interest of a few, but doubt it will serve the overall health of Sprint car racing in a positive way. The alphabet is already suffering from overload!

Any time anyone is willing to increase their level of financial investment in the sport its a positive. Although this may not suit your self interest, it’s still growth of the macro sprint car world, which you seem to dismiss.

This sport has been in a contraction for the last 20+ years. There are way more outbound trains than inbound in this sport these days.

Rpracing1 9/17/23 2:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captrat (Post 568532)

Do you really think that Spiker would partner in a project that is going to hurt his other weekly events? They probably are more versed in the bottom line than you are. But I’m sure I’m probably wrong.

captrat 9/17/23 7:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rpracing1 (Post 568580)
Do you really think that Spiker would partner in a project that is going to hurt his other weekly events? They probably are more versed in the bottom line than you are. But I’m sure I’m probably wrong.

The Sprint car world is wider than the Spiker fiefdom.

captrat 9/17/23 7:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kart#51 (Post 568575)
Any time anyone is willing to increase their level of financial investment in the sport its a positive. Although this may not suit your self interest, it’s still growth of the macro sprint car world, which you seem to dismiss.

This sport has been in a contraction for the last 20+ years. There are way more outbound trains than inbound in this sport these days.

How do you come up with the idea it is in contraction. Actually I would posit the problem is that the talent pool and fan base are being stretched too thin because of the unbridled spread of too many formulas and sanctioning bodies. As to money always being a positive consider what happened to Indy car racing and NASCAR when monied entities moved in. Want to see it in action checkout college sports as it destroys its rivalries and conferences because TV money demands it. There is a delicate balance between money being a positive and the potential it has to damage the very thing it purports to improve.

Rpracing1 9/17/23 8:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captrat (Post 568591)
The Sprint car world is wider than the Spiker fiefdom.

Really? Thanks for you clarifying vision. Sigh……

Kart#51 9/17/23 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captrat (Post 568592)
How do you come up with the idea it is in contraction. Actually I would posit the problem is that the talent pool and fan base are being stretched too thin because of the unbridled spread of too many formulas and sanctioning bodies. As to money always being a positive consider what happened to Indy car racing and NASCAR when monied entities moved in. Want to see it in action checkout college sports as it destroys its rivalries and conferences because TV money demands it. There is a delicate balance between money being a positive and the potential it has to damage the very thing it purports to improve.

Over the past 20 years there are less teams and car owners. Just look at the car count at the Knoxville Nationals over the past 20 years. Look at ISW counts. USAC get 30 cars for a regular show on average vs what used to be40. Lawrenceburg can’t get 20 on a weekly basis. Central Pa and Knoxville have less cars on a weekly basis than ever.

In Indiana I would agree that it’s all spread too thin because the product is the same. The fact that this series is different is why this series will provide opportunities for people to grow and make money vs doing the same and getting a very small slice of the pie. Wouldn’t be surprised to see some guys grab a wing and try to make some money.

Money will drive change. Not always bad and may not always be good but it’s called change and we’ll adapt or move on from it. The market will find the correct balance and equilibrium it always does. The reason supply and demand curves exist and move to find the equilibrium point at each move.

In regards to college athletics we can debate that for days and not get to the same place most likely.