IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Kyle Larson (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=113074)

PJ Wright 4/13/20 1:55 PM

Kyle Larson

In this screwed up world of political correctness I suspect his NASCAR career is over.

nathans1012 4/13/20 2:10 PM

Re: Kyle Larson

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ Wright (Post 527034)
In this screwed up world of political correctness I suspect his NASCAR career is over.

Like the old adage someone is always listening. So is his iRacing career as they suspened him as well. Ganassi also suspended him without pay. I seen a small video come across my Facebook via YouTube yesterday evening of the accident. Honestly I'm surprised nothing was posted on Indiana Open Wheel sooner. Stupid but it is what it is. Sometimes you just got to bit your tongue and stick a sock in it and watch what you say. How ever I do believe in second chances. He did issue an apology on twitter though.

hoosier race fan 4/13/20 3:34 PM

Rough month on the internet for Kyle. I’m sure there will be plenty of apologists as well as many that will call for the end of his career. If sponsors bail, and they will probably have pressure to do so, it will be tough for Chip to keep him. I’m sure he’ll have a second chance somewhere. I would not expect that second chance to be with Hendrick Motorsports taking over Johnson’s ride as some had speculated. He has talked in the past about wanting to run with the World of Outlaws before his career is over, and he may be with them sooner than he planned.

See apologists’ responses below:

Jonr 4/13/20 6:21 PM

No doubt, Kyle screwed up. No doubt, he is in a tough spot. The one item that I found interesting was IRacing dropping him so quickly. He had IRacing sponsorship on many of his dirt cars for years. He seemed to be one of the big advocates. I would have thought that his relationship with them would have helped him more.

sw1911 4/13/20 6:47 PM

All this political correctness crap sucks. “People are human” They make mistakes. Kobe Bryant was forgiven. Jesse Jackson was forgiven. Al sharpton is beyond repair. Bill Clinton was forgiven. Why pummel this young biracial fellow so hard? I hope Bubba will publicly forgive and support him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sw1911 4/13/20 6:50 PM

Also, why can non 100 % whites use the negro word without quarter while anyone else can’t?

hoscalecody 4/13/20 7:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonr (Post 527047)
No doubt, Kyle screwed up. No doubt, he is in a tough spot. The one item that I found interesting was IRacing dropping him so quickly. He had IRacing sponsorship on many of his dirt cars for years. He seemed to be one of the big advocates. I would have thought that his relationship with them would have helped him more.

Kyle is a spokesperson for iRacing, Kyle using a derogatory/racial term on iRacing as a spokesperson is a very big no no. Anyone using that word and gets protested (Reported) gets their chat banned or account suspended for a few months. With being a spokesperson it's worse.

Scott Speed had the same problem a few months ago. Scott Speed was a spokesperson for iRacing, iRacing even has his VW Beetle RallyX car. Scott Speed was intentionally wrecking people, which iRacing frowns on. iRacing then indefinitely suspended Scott Speed. Scott Speed was finally allowed to come back to iRacing, but if he does it again he will be terminated.

Kinser11 4/13/20 7:58 PM

I wonder when the Virus, is over and people figure out that watching IRACING, is about as exciting as watching any racing on TV. How long will the NASCAR people be pushing it. Race tracks and especially, local ones do not need anything to keep fans away. Let alone real artificial racing.
Kyle is getting kicked pretty hard today. And maybe he deserves it, I just hope all the band wagon jumpers. Remember they live in glass houses.

sp6967 4/13/20 8:18 PM

sticks and stones will br...…….never mind.

racefan20 4/13/20 8:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinser11 (Post 527055)
I wonder when the Virus, is over and people figure out that watching IRACING, is about as exciting as watching any racing on TV. How long will the NASCAR people be pushing it. Race tracks and especially, local ones do not need anything to keep fans away. Let alone real artificial racing.

Not even close to the real thing

IndianaSprintFan 4/13/20 9:53 PM

I don’t like how you can sing (or what ever they call rap) that with an “a” at the end and win awards but say it during a video game with an “r” at the end and ruin ur career. What a strange world we live it. Hate it for him he is having to deal with this but maybe he will be at more dirt tracks this summer. We shall see

Terry Porter 4/13/20 9:54 PM

My wife, whose not a race fan, just asked a valid question.

Kyle used a derogatory term, no doubt. But to the offended group, “do they even watch racing, much less televised video games?”

She has a point.

Political correctness, whether right or wrong, is killing civilization.

This word can be used in everyday conversation by the “correct” designation of people yet others are vilified for the same use???

Fortunately for Kyle there’s enough other **** going on in this world that this blip on the radar will be soon forgotten.

He made a mistake. He apologized. His career will continue.

polecar 4/13/20 10:32 PM

how did Tiger Woods come through his mess. in time I think Kyle will be o.k.

Griffittsmotorsports 4/14/20 12:59 AM

I dont by any means agree with what he said but I feel they are going way over board with losing sponsors and stuff I’ve seen others say and do things just as bad if not worse and suffer way less. jmo

Chief Wahoo 4/14/20 8:11 AM

I've already forgotten what he said. Let's move on.

Terry Porter 4/14/20 9:02 AM

Best post yet👍🏻

Longtime sprinter 4/14/20 9:16 AM

Very well said. I feel I Racing is bad for racing in general. It isn’t going to make young people get into racing, as much as being at the track would. It just makes them want to sit and play more video games. I would like to see the real racers turn their backs to it, go out and work on the race car.

sprint29 4/14/20 10:47 AM

Guess I'll have to find something else to mix with my Jack Daniels.

davidm 4/14/20 11:07 AM

Did he get caught shooting dope? No. Beat his wife and kids? No. Murder or **** someone? No. Oh he said a bad word, THAT bad word. Well that changes everything.

The Old Coyote 4/14/20 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Porter (Post 527060)
My wife, whose not a race fan, just asked a valid question.

Kyle used a derogatory term, no doubt. But to the offended group, “do they even watch racing, much less televised video games?”

She has a point.

Political correctness, whether right or wrong, is killing civilization.

This word can be used in everyday conversation by the “correct” designation of people yet others are vilified for the same use???

Fortunately for Kyle there’s enough other **** going on in this world that this blip on the radar will be soon forgotten.

He made a mistake. He apologized. His career will continue.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Unknown

flagboy55 4/14/20 12:24 PM

Well folks the country I love is skinless. This PC stuff is way too much. Absolutely he chose the wrong word, without question but in this case it was just a word among friends as if he would have said stupid, or idiot. It was just a jab at his spotter, no malice, no racism, just a terrible choice of words. Which is a mistake, which I’m pretty sure most of us have done. David I agree, he could have beat his wife and got off easier. I just hope the short track community is smart enough to accept his apology and welcome him to the track if we ever get back to the track. I’ll say this, I’ve learned a valuable lesson over this. A couple mistakes I won’t make anytime soon is buying a Chevy, getting a Credit One account, and going to McD’s. Now I’m off to look up Plan B sales and see what I can buy

ThrowbackRacingTeam 4/14/20 12:53 PM

The only people sensitive about the word are white people. Blacks call each other that all the time and if you are friends with them or hang around them much you end up using the word too. It's a really unfair double standard in my opinion and it only promotes racism rather than suppress it.

Slider20 4/14/20 1:05 PM

I never thought it would end like this... Maybe he will come back to open wheel full time and try to make a run at an Indy car ride eventually, kind of like Shane Hmiel did. At this point, it seems far fetched.

Stevensville Mike 4/14/20 3:10 PM

I know where I stand on this but I am going to refrain from tossing my opinion out there.....

.... but does anyone know who he was aiming this comment at, or was it no one in particular and he was just shooting into the air? Was there a specific black guy/girl on board at the time in the game?

JarrettFarms73 4/14/20 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike (Post 527089)
I know where I stand on this but I am going to refrain from tossing my opinion out there.....

.... but does anyone know who he was aiming this comment at, or was it no one in particular and he was just shooting into the air? Was there a specific black guy/girl on board at the time in the game?

My understanding is he was talking to his spotter. If it was said in haste or frustration, i certainly didn’t get that from it.

Personally, i thought it was said out of shock value for a laugh, which is unfortunate because if so, he could’ve called him a “stupid mother f@$#er b!*#h wh%&e” and gotten a much much different response.

This whole thing is prime example of why my opinions on where the word fits in todays society is held in a completely different place than my belief and hope that it will never slip out of my mouth for any reason. emphasis on hope. i’d be lying if i said my sense of humor and control of my tongue when i’m mad is perfect and never crosses a line.

Stevensville Mike 4/14/20 3:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JarrettFarms73 (Post 527091)
My understanding is he was talking to his spotter. If it was said in haste or frustration, i certainly didn’t get that from it.

Personally, i thought it was said out of shock value for a laugh, which is unfortunate because if so, he could’ve called him a “stupid mother f@$#er b!*#h wh%&e” and gotten a much much different response.

This whole thing is prime example of why my opinions on where the word fits in todays society is held in a completely different place than my belief and hope that it will never slip out of my mouth for any reason. emphasis on hope. i’d be lying if i said my sense of humor and control of my tongue when i’m mad is perfect and never crosses a line.

Thanks, '73. I was kind of getting that spotter vibe reading another article associated with this event.

55fan 4/14/20 3:46 PM

Men who live in glass houses shouldn't cast stones. This is for Kyle and all those who fired him. 94.67 pct of us have used the same word more than once.

hoosier race fan 4/14/20 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 55fan (Post 527093)
94.67 pct of us have used the same word more than once.

Speak for yourself.

Radicle 4/14/20 3:56 PM

Get Over It

jdull99 4/15/20 1:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike (Post 527089)

One story had it down to most certainty that it was Parker Kligerman (sometimes racer...TV talking head most of the other time...I really can't stand him)...he is as Caucasian as one can be...

Another story I read, it appeared some on "Twitter" (which is un-credible as anything...), that it was aimed at Truck/Xfinity driver Anthony Alfredo...who Mike Waltrip calls smthn about "pasta" everytime he is on TV. I'm guessing Twitterville, didn't realize Kyle had biracial (or of two different races, I don't mean to say it the wrong way) parents and Asian descent...like he was even in the NASCAR Drive for Diversity program! (We all know he didn't need to be in that program, but HE WAS...NASCAR pushed it when it benefitted them!)

I wouldn't be surprised if all of them have listened to the mentioned rap/hip-hop music that was made popular from b4 they were born...IF one were to hear just a few tracks from the guy the NFL hired to run their Half-time shows (Jay-Z he goes by...), they would have the term almost stuck in their head...& like 6 years ago a popular song was like even radio play and had an "edited" substitute to refer to one's friend as "My Hitta"...everyone knew what the song was saying...& its taken as a (poor) term of endearment if anything! & I'm sure there are MANY more examples, but off the top of my head, that's what comes to my mind...(& the one mentioned song just says it over and over and over again - maybe some of these "artists" would be up for owning or sponsoring a racing team??? Like I said, the NFL encourages it...)

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...erm=my%20hitta

revjimk 4/15/20 2:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw1911 (Post 527049)
Also, why can non 100 % whites use the negro word without quarter while anyone else can’t?

Easy... you're allowed to punch yourself in the face, but not anyone else

revjimk 4/15/20 2:25 AM

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kyle-la...004521985.html
Key sentence in there is "If he's saying it casually in a IRacing race, when else is he saying it?" I don't think Kyle is a bigot or a hate monger, just guilty of either (A) Unconscious mild prejudice that many of us ignore, or (B) Casual use of a word used indiscriminately by rappers & "gangsta wannabes", that makes it seem OK to some people. Self respecting black people don't say it, & often criticize rappers for using it. A few folks here asked "if its OK for black people to use it, why not white people?" Perfect example of why its so stupid for rappers to use it, makes it seem OK. I answered that question before with, "You're allowed to punch yourself in the face, but not somebody else". I could have added "But its stupid"

The whole thing is a shame, Kyle shouldn't have said it, but I bet the owners of the corporations who dropped him live in all white gated communities. Race issues in the USA are MUCH bigger than an offhand remark by a race car driver. Its easy to make an example of him

Lets face it, we all wanted him to race dirt anyway, and not only Kyle but the whole dirt track community will miss the big NASCAR $$$... who knows what will happen to his team? I hope he eventually drives again on dirt, & I suspect he will

revjimk 4/15/20 2:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Old Coyote (Post 527075)
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Unknown

No, Political correctness is a half ass attempt to sweep serious issues under the rug by speaking politely. If you know anything about US history or everyday life today, racism is a horrible problem (in both directions) & crucifying one race car driver won't end it :41::

DAD 4/15/20 8:28 AM

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...Y2yOnXbt_Qt-h0

racenut69 4/15/20 9:21 AM

If and when he comes back to NASCAR,it will be in much better equipment!...JMO!

chop 4/15/20 11:35 AM

Let his punishment be he has to spend two weeks trying to get Michigan unemployment.

Stevensville Mike 4/15/20 3:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chop (Post 527140)
Let his punishment be he has to spend two weeks trying to get Michigan unemployment.

Or working with my wife and pirating garden supplies from South Bend.

flagboy55 4/15/20 7:31 PM

Just a couple I hope final thoughts. I want to make it clear I don’t in anyway condone the use of the word. However if it was said to a black man in a derogatory way I certainly could understand the sponsorship exodus. In my world, I’ll forgive lack of vocabulary skills if I understand the intent. The intent of him making this mistake was to take a poke at his spotter who was white. I don’t know about you guys but me and my buddies call each names in jest frequently, in jest, the same way this was said. If the sponsors and Chip would have dealt fines and sensitivity training and so forth with a suspension, I really wouldn’t be too concerned, but the fallout from this doesn’t come close to the proper punishment for the crime. Almost as if they were looking for someone to make an example of. By the way I did go to Plan B Sales and place an order. You should too

ISF 4/15/20 7:44 PM

Some baseball player from New York says Kyle should be banned from NASCAR racing forever and he wants to beat up Larson for saying the bad word.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...f-racial-slur/

chop 4/15/20 8:15 PM

You have free speech. But when you are a spokesperson for a company that pays your income you live by their rules. This web site is not mine. I have to post views that do not make them mad, break the rules they want. McDonald's wants to sell Happy meals to everyone, not just white families that go to NASCAR races. Is this the end of his racing career. I would say no. If it was a drug, wife beating event. I would it would have been the end.