IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   USAC Purse--someone please explain. (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=34571)

cowboyhar69 7/13/10 11:56 AM

USAC Purse--someone please explain.

Just a comparison (this is from the USAC entry blanks)

USAC Purse----Feature-----Point fund------Total

July 24-LPS----$19,350-----$1500----------$21,100
July 31-KC-----$22,350-----$1500----------$24,100

Sprint Week---$19,650------$750-----------$20,650

LPS---------------KC----------------Sprint Week
1st $5000------------$5000--------------$5000
10th $600-------------$725---------------$625
22nd $400-------------$600--------------- $425

From D.O.'s quote in a post "the most intense racing of the year"...and we all know the biggest crowds of the year (SRO at Gas City),big crowds at Lburg and Kokomo.

I understand a bigger purse at KC to get a decent car count...Heres my question...Why isn't the purse bigger for Indiana Sprint Week? There obviously is more money coming in from the size of the crowds...so why isn't more of this spread around to the car owners and drivers? I don't own a car, I'm not a driver...I just don't understand why the purse is lower at the biggest events of the year

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

staggerman 7/13/10 12:21 PM

Re: USAC Purse--someone please explain.

The purse is still a standard USAC purse. I guess I will stand up for the promoters here. Why should they not benefit and for heaven sakes make some money off putting on a big time event. I would guess these sprintweek shows help pay for the nights when the crowds are light or they cancel a show right when the gates open losing a few thousand dollars. Look at it this way, if the promoter got a terrible weather forcast and had a small crowd and lost $10k after expenses USAC would not allow the promoter to cut the purse so why should they not take a little money home and put it in the bank if they make some money.

Sure everyone would like to run for a higher purse but you have to look at both sides.

6565 7/13/10 12:45 PM

As a KC regular, I can tell you that the little bit extra purse money for KC (while appreciated) isn't anywhere near enough to get me to go spend roughly $600 on a head and neck restraint, just to run one USAC show. About like the Outlaws requiring everyone to buy a full membership this year for $125, even if only running one show. Just ain't worth it to me. If it wasn't for that (and maybe buying a DT-3 tire), I'd probably run it. A word of advice-don't let the turn 3 wall get you!

cowboyhar69 7/13/10 3:53 PM

I'm not knocking the promoters making the money,I'm glad they do well...but if it is a "BIG TIME EVENT" then shouldn't the participants be paid more? Seems as if every other race is whether it is Indy, Daytona, U.S. Nationals, Kings Royal,Belleville Midget Nationals or Knoxville Nationals. As far as a bad weather forecast it seems as if most cancel before the event starts...and I don't blame them one bit for doing that.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

USAC Fan 7/13/10 3:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6565 (Post 182999)
As a KC regular, I can tell you that the little bit extra purse money for KC (while appreciated) isn't anywhere near enough to get me to go spend roughly $600 on a head and neck restraint, just to run one USAC show.

So your life isn't worth 600 bucks? :7::26::15:

And FWIW, there's plenty of head and neck restraints for $300 and under.

hogan6 7/13/10 4:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staggerman (Post 182996)
The purse is still a standard USAC purse. I guess I will stand up for the promoters here. Why should they not benefit and for heaven sakes make some money off putting on a big time event. I would guess these sprintweek shows help pay for the nights when the crowds are light or they cancel a show right when the gates open losing a few thousand dollars. Look at it this way, if the promoter got a terrible weather forcast and had a small crowd and lost $10k after expenses USAC would not allow the promoter to cut the purse so why should they not take a little money home and put it in the bank if they make some money.

Sure everyone would like to run for a higher purse but you have to look at both sides.

Big time event? Please. I'm lookin' at both sides. This is USAC's most popular "event". Wanna make it an event? OK. Pay $10,000 to win each nite. Run 40 lap features. Thats a start. I'll gladly pay a couple more bucks to get in to see a real event. ISW is nothing more than racing on consecutive nites for a standard purse. With pretty much the standard USAC field. Hardly no travelers. Its embarrassing. The Lucas Oil Late Models and both classes of WoO don't unload for less than 10k. With various "events" throughout the year that pay 50k on up. A National sprint car race that pays 5k to win is not an event.

sp6967 7/13/10 5:05 PM

no wings or tin tops=event

dant 7/13/10 5:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAC Fan (Post 183035)
So your life isn't worth 600 bucks? :7::26::15:

And FWIW, there's plenty of head and neck restraints for $300 and under.

Please list the sfi certified head and neck restraints avalible at $300 or under....

hogan6 7/13/10 6:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sp6967 (Post 183057)
no wings or tin tops=event

Sure.

#1jackhewittfan 7/13/10 6:33 PM

if i remember correctly when the all stars sanctioned the freedom 40 it paid 10000 to win.
Posted via Mobile Device

chrismattlin 7/13/10 7:38 PM

I'll never understand why some of you sprint car drivers won't buy a head and neck restraint system. Your life is on the line every time you go on the track, why not minimize the risk for injury? $600 or dead? YOU PICK

USAC Fan 7/13/10 8:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dant (Post 183059)
Please list the sfi certified head and neck restraints avalible at $300 or under....

It's a lifesaving device for your driver and this is your response? :17:

Tim Watson 7/14/10 9:00 AM

I wish all the Sprintweek shows paid $10,000 to win, even if the tickets were bumped up to $25.

cowboyhar69 7/14/10 9:22 AM

How did a thread about the purse end up talking about hans devices? If Indiana Sprint Week is a big deal then shouldn't we expect to pay a little more to see it? Do you think an NFL playoff game, an NBA playoff game or a Major league playoff game ticket cost the same as a regular season game?....NO!! If this is a big time event and a guy only gets $25 more than a regular USAC race and the winner gets the same...Thats ridiculous.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

wezternotto 7/14/10 10:10 AM

No neck restraint,You need not worry my friend there apparently is nothing above your neck worthy of protecting when you make a statement like that.What ? pray tell do you wear and where do you race? Just do it like the old days and wrap the the motel bath towel around your neck and pull up that bandito bandana and put that old BMX helmet on and wah lah a race car driver.. Please get a certified Hans type device and use it before you ever,ever climb into a race car again we know you love racing and it takes each one of you to have a race so do it for yourself please and tell us when you do so we can cheer for you,you have added countless years to your life.

9racing 7/14/10 11:00 AM

lol, heres one that starts around 295.00 havent heard much about it.. It is the choice of the racer if they want to wear it or not.. Who are you to criticize about it? You watch these drivers race, you dont watch them put there Hans devices on, R3s or whatever device they are running if any.. my .02 and yes i do race, i do own a hans.. it is uncomfortable.. i like my belts as tight as i can get them, and when u go sliding a carbon fiber piece in between your belt and your shoulders it does make things uncomfortable.. to me, its the easiest to exit the car with and that means alot to me, IF I HAVE TO WEAR ONE.. Thats why i have a hans..

apexonephoto 7/14/10 11:17 AM

UMP Summernationals pay $5,000 for weekday shows, $10,000 for weekend shows. $500 to start, Special Olympics sponsors their tow money, drivers go in the stands and pass the helmet for Special Olympics in return. 30 races in 32 days is a little extreme. Oakshade has the finale this weekend, $12 front gate, $20 for pit pass. I wouldn't imagine that many people can follow the whole tour. Overall winner gets $25,000.
Posted via Mobile Device

S_Meekhof 7/14/10 11:55 AM

what is the point fund money for isw?

VSneader2 7/14/10 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apexonephoto (Post 183255)
UMP Summernationals pay $5,000 for weekday shows, $10,000 for weekend shows. $500 to start, Special Olympics sponsors their tow money, drivers go in the stands and pass the helmet for Special Olympics in return. 30 races in 32 days is a little extreme. Oakshade has the finale this weekend, $12 front gate, $20 for pit pass. I wouldn't imagine that many people can follow the whole tour. Overall winner gets $25,000.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thats where I will be this saturday.

Diggsy 7/14/10 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apexonephoto (Post 183255)
Posted via Mobile Device

Summernationals is a helluva show each night, too. With only a handful of races left the top four are within 66 points of each other. No doubt each of them wants that $25k pot at the end of the hell tour rainbow...

apexonephoto 7/14/10 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diggsy (Post 183264)
Summernationals is a helluva show each night, too. With only a handful of races left the top four are within 66 points of each other. No doubt each of them wants that $25k pot at the end of the hell tour rainbow...

I shot the last two shows last year. Couldn't believe how beat up the top 4-5 cars, drivers and crews were after 30 days on the road.

little500 7/14/10 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Watson (Post 183227)
even if the tickets were bumped up to $25.

HELL NO!!!!!!! Real simple, take the bogus fee's out for the drivers so we can get 60+ cars again, then I will agree. You can pay $20,000 to win each of these races and no more cars are going to show. :14:

Diggsy 7/14/10 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apexonephoto (Post 183265)
I shot the last two shows last year. Couldn't believe how beat up the top 4-5 cars, drivers and crews were after 30 days on the road.

Color me jealous. I've been trying my hand at racing photography and don't have the knack (read: skills and knowledge) for it. Learning more about the camera would help...

We've tried to incorporate a few SN races into our vacation plans the last few years. We were worn out after 3 nights a couple years ago. How these guys last for a month I'll never know. But if I ever find myself in the position of being able to afford a month off, following the Hell Tour is how I'd like to spend it.

Tim Clauson 7/14/10 3:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by little500 (Post 183270)
HELL NO!!!!!!! Real simple, take the bogus fee's out for the drivers so we can get 60+ cars again, then I will agree. You can pay $20,000 to win each of these races and no more cars are going to show. :14:

What bogus fee's do you speak of ?
Posted via Mobile Device

AustinSprinter 7/14/10 8:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Clauson (Post 183316)
What bogus fee's do you speak of ?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hmmm'...W.W.B.K.D.???........