IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   J.O Memorial, Lawrenceburg. Sat April 13th (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=125336)

Charles Nungester 4/10/24 9:37 PM

J.O Memorial, Lawrenceburg. Sat April 13th

Was looking forward to a Richie Murray masterpiece but here's the info.

USAC Amsoil Sprint Cars

Justin Owen Memorial Paying $54JO to win + $400 bonus for 2nd fast qualifier, 2nd fast hot lap time and hard charger. Also special award for the highest finishing 2023 Lawrenceburg Speedway top 10 points driver.
The support classes competing are KFI Modifieds and Impact Sports Pure Stocks

Tickets
Adult General Admission $25.00
Kids 7-12 $8, 6 and under are free $8.00
Pit Pass $35.00

Tickets available on the website or thru Myracepass. and at the gates.

EldoraMark 4/11/24 7:15 AM

Charles r they getting the rain that we r getting her near Eldora? Been raining all night and suppose to rain more today and tomorrow.

PJ Wright 4/11/24 8:24 AM

IMO, $25 for a USAC show is the best deal in motorsports.

Charles Nungester 4/11/24 8:37 AM

Re: J.O Memorial, Lawrenceburg. Sat April 13th

Quote:

Originally Posted by EldoraMark (Post 573109)
Charles r they getting the rain that we r getting her near Eldora? Been raining all night and suppose to rain more today and tomorrow.

Yeah, we're getting a lot of rain. Not supposed to rain on raceday, in fact sun and 70 Rain to stop fri evening. All I know is he's got a big grader, two big steamrollers, one thats also a sheepsfoot steamroller and a bobcat And what used to be the green floater tire water truck

Charles Nungester 4/12/24 8:46 AM

After drenching rains Wed's thru Thur's morning. It spotted out to a few showers here or there. today is off and on sprinkles till afternoon then winds and the dryout begins.

THERE'S PLENTY OF PARKING that isn't on grass. SO BE HERE! See ya tomorrow for JO!

PLEASE SHARE
FRIDAY MORNING UPDATE….
We are racing!!!
The Justin Owen Memorial (USAC AMSOIL NATIONAL SPRINT CARS along with MODIFIEDS and Pure Stocks) is on as scheduled. The parking areas are still wet but we will have updates about parking as we get closer tomorrow.
General Admission is $25 for adults and $8 for kids 7-12 and the gates open at 4:30. We are anticipating a big crowd so we are opening the pit gate at 2:00. Pit passes are $35.
It’s going to be a great night of racing and more importantly an evening to honor Justin with his friends and family.

Charles Nungester 4/13/24 9:26 AM

YAY for RACE DAY! Gates 4:30
Hotlaps 6pm

Woohoo! Go Bacon......... And Blu!

It’s RACE DAY! USAC Amsoil National
Sprint Cars, UMP Mods and Pure Stocks
We can’t wait to see everyone.
Tickets can be bought online or at the gate.
General Admission $25
Kids 7-12 $8
Pit pass $35
Small coolers are allowed but NO CARRY IN ALCOHOL
Pit gate opens at 2
All other gates open at 4:30pm

Ilovedirttrackracing 4/13/24 9:40 AM

Our racing family will be in the house tonight for this special racing event. Looking forward to seeing everyone and probably making some great Kodak moments and life time memories together again. Lol. God bless America and go Blu. Have fun and enjoy.

Charles Nungester 4/13/24 12:05 PM

The Trophy is hella cool. Wish I could post a pic of it.

dkdorkboy 4/13/24 5:51 PM

23 nw per usac Twitter

leftrear 4/13/24 6:09 PM

Last week trey osborne was there in his own car and anton hernandez was there in a 5 car. Was that the baldwin 5 or some other 5 ? Looks like trey is out after the florida wreck which is a shame but that is baldwins M.O. I guess.

captrat 4/13/24 6:33 PM

As usual LPS in competition.

Moreland76 4/13/24 8:01 PM

Osborne is in Burtons car at Lps tonight!

BrentTFunk 4/14/24 11:11 AM

Pretty good race. Seavey was exciting up top. Liked the slight changes to the shape of the track. Best race I have seen there since the new track was built. Maybe the biggest crowd I have ever seen there. Nice of the Owen family to work with the promoter. Think they will build this into a big deal. Had fun. Off to Anderson.

Charles Nungester 4/14/24 11:53 AM

Honestly, I went to the top of the grandstand, Looked around, Grabbed my buddy Dan Shaw and said look there and there and at them ball fields. The Rodeo rink and holding area were under water. The motorcycle track was under water. the ball fields were just at the point of becoming mud again.

And we had a pretty good race track until about halfway into feature where a couple spots were getting so soft they dug out into ruts. Old track, would not have been able to run at all.

II thought there was a lot of two and three wide racing and not so much run away and hide racing last night. KTJ went up and took that win With Seavey running four in the fluff and bacon catfishin. Track bit several. Leary while leading biked into something I was suprised he saved. Ballou and Pursely's contact put Ballou into a position the rut dumped him. And Grant was in if you don't win be spectacular mode.

The crowd was spectacular! Bigger than the three WoO shows I attended.

The trophy was even more spectacular in person.

The bonus's and such were awesome.

Only thing I'd of changed was more cars but it was sufficient.

And the Cheeseburger for $5 beats almost anything out there. Got mine when I came in and avoided the lines and fast food joints.

Got to meet two people. Pete Abel introduced himself. told him I watched him for years and Rock Steady ended up winning again. Also Matt Waldeck who I haven't seen for 35yr. We both worked Michael Tire and on Staabs car some.

Great night, I guess Im a back stretch Rowdy for awhile till I can kick this habit. Also not liking driving home on highways full of idiots thinking Tokyo Drift is to be played on highways full of regular people commuting from place to place.

BrentTFunk 4/14/24 12:01 PM

I was all over the place. Never saw you Charles. Even walked to the bike track, but couldn't find the racing family. It was a big crowd.

tdt636 4/14/24 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captrat (Post 573151)

If LPS wasn't running you would probably gain 3 or 4 cars 🙄

WinglessLovers 4/14/24 1:55 PM

Enjoyed the evening at Lawrenceburg last night. Crowd was spectacular and for all the rain over the past week track held up well and they were not afraid to touch it up and dig it up during down times. With the wind and sunshine it was dusty early but once the sun went down it was much better and the wind died down. The banking cutdown was noticeable and the right thing to do. Made the track more racing with two and three wide and as Charles said no runaways. It is ironic but the more progressive banking now makes it closer to its "clone" track, Bridgeport Motorsports Park in New Jersey. The racing was much better. The tribute to Justin Owen was very nice and the bonuses handed out were awesome especially the $4004 to the top finisher of the Lawrenceburg regulars which makes for loyalty in the future. Hoping that things continue to move forward at the Burg and the new promoters are off to a good start!!! Hopefully some sprint car drivers and teams will hear of the good things happening down in the southeast corner of Indiana and come out and suppport this track. Best wishes and good luck to the new regime.

Bruce and Pat Eckel :6::8::22:

Stevensville Mike 4/14/24 10:35 PM

Can anyone explain the invert/format? I understand the Top 6 in each heat were inverted. There were 23 cars. Everyone made the feature with no B Main. How did they set the grid for the A Main?

I watched it after the fact a day later, while avoiding the provided spoilers presented by Richie on IOW mind you, and maybe I FF-d though a pill draw?

But anyone in the know.....?

You guys knock no inverts but trust me, after watching the Lucas Oil Late Models where they run straight up, there is no confusion. Botta bink, botta boonk. We all know where everyone should be and why.

Charles Nungester 4/14/24 10:50 PM

Top six times inverted. Everyone else straight up by time trials.

I hate straight up lineup racing. BTW, Bacon came from 9th to second.

cowboyhar69 4/15/24 12:30 AM

Heat winners when there are 4 heats start 7,8,9 and 10. Last night with 3 heats it was 1st heat winner KTJ 7th, 2nd heat winner Chase Stockon 8th and 3rd heat winner Brady started 9th. Then the balance of the field lined up by qualifying time.

hoscalecody 4/15/24 10:57 AM

Seemed like a pretty good night.
Minus Ballou throwing a fit and getting physical with a tow truck driver. As usual nothing will probably be done about it.

hsracer577 4/15/24 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captrat (Post 573151)

And if they had taken the night off the Burg would have had 28 instead of 23. Let's not gripe at a track for running a regular weekly traditional sprint car program 2hrs away. It's almost the last track in the country that runs them every week.

Charles Nungester 4/15/24 2:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoscalecody (Post 573190)
Seemed like a pretty good night.
Minus Ballou throwing a fit and getting physical with a tow truck driver. As usual nothing will probably be done about it.

Did you tell the whole story or just going to bash Robert?

I'll agree he shouldn't have touched him. But a hell of a lot more than your telling went on.

Stevensville Mike 4/15/24 2:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 573180)
Top six times inverted. Everyone else straight up by time trials.

I hate straight up lineup racing. BTW, Bacon came from 9th to second.

Oh, I will not deny that the action was good, Charles. :6:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboyhar69 (Post 573182)
Heat winners when there are 4 heats start 7,8,9 and 10. Last night with 3 heats it was 1st heat winner KTJ 7th, 2nd heat winner Chase Stockon 8th and 3rd heat winner Brady started 9th. Then the balance of the field lined up by qualifying time.

Thanks, Tim. Like I said they may have explained it on Flo but I was FF-ing a lot of times.

hoscalecody 4/15/24 2:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 573197)

I'll agree he shouldn't have touched him. But a hell of a lot more than your telling went on.

What all went on? Everyone I talked that was there when it happened, including ones down in the work area said he's upset about the tow truck passing his work area. Which wouldn't be an issue if he wasn't hanging off the side of the car, which is in it's self a serious safety issue. Some members of the safety crew are even ones saying Roberts the one that made it smoke the exit. All he had to do is ask them to lift the whole car up.

Touching an official or tow/push truck driver should be an automatic multi race suspension and fine. The guy was barely out of truck and Roberts laying his hands on him.

cowboyhar69 4/15/24 2:40 PM

I often wonder how many people would have handled going to sprint car races in the 50’s, 60’s and early 70’s. The norm back then was 20-25 cars entered and USAC only started 14 cars in the feature . My 1st Hoosier Hundred in 1968 only started 18 cars.

Dirtfan 4/15/24 2:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 573197)

So Charles,how about filling in the blanks for those of us that weren't in attendance,any videos,gotta be one somewhere?
Thanks!

nodramazone20 4/15/24 2:59 PM

All and all it was an enjoyable evening of racing. My only critique, and it's a small item, is the time it takes to purchase tickets. Moving up the gate time to 430 pm was a good move, but there were still people waiting in line to get in when hot laps started. There has to be a better and quicker way to sell tickets???? I think the normal weekly shows this will not be a problem, but when a traveling series comes to town, it does seem to be an issue.

Dirtfan 4/15/24 3:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodramazone20 (Post 573202)
All and all it was an enjoyable evening of racing. My only critique, and it's a small item, is the time it takes to purchase tickets. Moving up the gate time to 430 pm was a good move, but there were still people waiting in line to get in when hot laps started. There has to be a better and quicker way to sell tickets???? I think the normal weekly shows this will not be a problem, but when a traveling series comes to town, it does seem to be an issue.

We usually get there early & go buy GA tickets @ the Pit Gate,eliminates the standing in line.

Charles Nungester 4/15/24 3:28 PM

https://www.facebook.com/reel/435492709057599

Don't know if that worked

TQ29m 4/15/24 3:32 PM

Dint!

Charles Nungester 4/15/24 3:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 573204)
https://www.facebook.com/reel/435492709057599

Don't know if that worked I guess it does if you have Facebook

Word Im seeing is the car hit the wall as the tow truck was pulling him sitting on the nerf off the track. Doesn't look like any punches were thrown, driver is getting out as Robert walks up cussing him out.

Kind of a bum wrap on both sides. Hurry up, get me to my work area............

And no, I've never seen a track worker intentionally do anything to a competitor except maybe the water truck running across a just waved green heat at Brownstown.

Charles Nungester 4/15/24 4:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodramazone20 (Post 573202)

This s far from the first time It's happened and my uncle using a walker (He's 83) cannot stand and wait for thirty minutes to a hour.

Im not blaming anyone because it's a before current operator problem as well.

But first thing I'd do is get rid of the arm bands except for pit passes.
Four tickets, Here's four tickets. NEXT.............

Maybe a extra table to the other side of the entry also selling or just scanning pre purchase. Maybe a Banner for that line about 10ft n the air.

Charles Nungester 4/15/24 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboyhar69 (Post 573200)
I often wonder how many people would have handled going to sprint car races in the 50’s, 60’s and early 70’s. The norm back then was 20-25 cars entered and USAC only started 14 cars in the feature . My 1st Hoosier Hundred in 1968 only started 18 cars.

Tim when I started going to the burg we'd have two heats and a fast car dash. and the feature most nights that I can remember. wasn't until the 80s where we'd get some 30 plus. Then wings went way of do-do and we were in low teens at best till they took wings off.

Don't know about USAC, Staab said he tried to make turkey nght several times and they qualified. if you didn't make the show, you didn't make it.

mlamb 4/15/24 7:54 PM

I gotta say, that crowd at Lburg looked awesome. And I actually think the reconfiguration races well. Lburg has been ridiculed and beaten up and had all kinda negativity of late. I for one am happy Lburg finally achieved some positives. Kudos to the new staff, job well done. I wish you nothing but success. If this guy hadn’t of stepped up, where would Lburg be today?

Charles Nungester 4/15/24 8:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlamb (Post 573224)
I gotta say, that crowd at Lburg looked awesome. And I actually think the reconfiguration races well. Lburg has been ridiculed and beaten and had all kinda negativity of late. I for one am happy Lburg finally achieved some positives. Kudos to the new staff, job well done. I wish you nothing but success. If this guy hadn’t of stepped up, where would Lburg be today?

Closed possibly never to reopen Shane and wife were the only ones to put in a bid.

Charles Nungester 4/15/24 11:09 PM

More upgrades today. Turn two concession building. More shavings in the pits for a smooth not coarse gravel area and more porta jons for the back stretch on the way.

Oh and Fountain coke machines installed. in main concessions.

hoscalecody 4/15/24 11:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester (Post 573206)

Guy is barely out of the truck and Ballou is already shoving him. Tow truck guy said he was going to drop the car and leave it there and let them figure out what to do with it, but the USAC official told him not to.

Hubie48 4/16/24 5:10 AM

I saw the incident on television. It wasn't good and before it happened I kind of wondered why Robert was hanging out the side of the car. The car rubbed the barrier on the opposite side but Ballou was in a rather unsafe position IMO.

The tow truck driver kind of messed up as he drove thru the gap like he didn't have anything in tow. He was favoring barrier side as it was plus there was a car on the hook which increased the length. They did not show the "altercation" on the TV but I figured there would be something.....

Can't win them all as this sure wasn't intentional.

I am not a fan of "work area's" but have zero skin in the game.

ROSCO 4/16/24 8:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoscalecody (Post 573199)
What all went on? Everyone I talked that was there when it happened, including ones down in the work area said he's upset about the tow truck passing his work area. Which wouldn't be an issue if he wasn't hanging off the side of the car, which is in it's self a serious safety issue. Some members of the safety crew are even ones saying Roberts the one that made it smoke the exit. All he had to do is ask them to lift the whole car up.

Touching an official or tow/push truck driver should be an automatic multi race suspension and fine. The guy was barely out of truck and Roberts laying his hands on him.

It was not that far from his pit work area, as I had watched the whole thing from the pit stands. He should have not touched the tow truck driver as he was trying to get out of his truck then back in his face again. Lost a lot of respect for Ballou that night as plenty of young fans got to see his over reaction. Will USAC do anything?