IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Who would you pick? (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=116196)

flagboy55 2/24/21 2:40 PM

Who would you pick?

Great news coming down the pike that Big Daddy Chris Windom is going to get a NASCAR Cup start on the dirt at Bristol. I hope he spanks their A$$. But it got me to wondering if he’s the best pick to succeed from our current crop of USAC racers. My thoughts are it’s not going to be anything like what a dirt track fan really wants to see. I hope hope I’m wrong but I’m guessing the only thing resembling a cushion will be under the fans butts. I expect it will be slick and black and probably take rubber, and end up being more like a pavement race anyway. Let me again say I wish Chris the best and I along with my boys will cheering him on with a NOS ENERGY DRINK in hand. Looking forward to hearing from you all, would he be your pick?

JarrettFarms73 2/24/21 3:01 PM

i hope and think he’ll do well. USAC has some studs right now so i’m not sure i’d pick anyone “over” him. That said, i think Robert Ballou would be good in one. Willing to run the top but seems to be really good with being patient enough to run the bottom. One of the guys capable of finding a line nobody else is running.

Dirt Track Cowboy 2/24/21 3:11 PM

Re: Who would you pick?

Chris is a solid choice and it's awesome to see a USAC guy get the shot. If we are strictly limiting it to USAC then I'd add maybe the likes of Bacon, KTJ or Stockton to the mix.

ISF 2/24/21 3:52 PM

Logan Seavey would be my pick of the current USAC drivers who would have the best chance of running well in a Cup car on the dirt at Bristol. In 4 ARCA Stock Car starts on dirt Logan started 4th and finished 3rd at Springfield. His second start just 2 weeks later at Du Quoin he won after starting 4th. His other two starts at Springfield & Du Quoin the following year Logan finished 4th again at Springfield and 2nd at Du Quoin. We were in the stands at all 4 and the kid looked very good in all 4 starts.

Windom, back in 2013, drove an ARCA Stock Car at both Springfield & Du Quoin and ran 6th at Springfield and 5th at Du Quoin. Again, we were in the stands at both tracks and Windom also looked pretty good on the dirt in an ARCA stocker.

One thing is for sure, Windom isn't shy about using a guy up and that stuff is half of what NASCAR Cup fans are interested in.

Good luck to Windom along with Briscoe, Bell & Larson.

mc/rider 2/24/21 4:37 PM

Macho Man

jim goerge 2/24/21 7:05 PM

I"m kinda thinking SUNSHINE.or Ballou :D

Stevensville Mike 2/24/21 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagboy55 (Post 537423)
....My thoughts are it’s not going to be anything like what a dirt track fan really wants to see. I hope hope I’m wrong but I’m guessing the only thing resembling a cushion will be under the fans butts. I expect it will be slick and black and probably take rubber, and end up being more like a pavement race anyway.

Not to stray too far off from the thread but I guess it is going to be 250 laps. There is concrete under the dirt. I feel it will essentially turn into a rubbered in/paved track, also. There might be a cushion but not for for long.

UNLESS they take advantage of their stage breaks and re-do the track in some fashion?

I'd like to see Frank Kimmel come out of retirement and run it, myself.

Chief Wahoo 2/24/21 9:31 PM

After watching last weeks winged nation episode, I’d say David Gravel. He would love a shot.

Jbaldwin 2/24/21 9:36 PM

Kody Swanson.

Tqcrazy 2/24/21 10:09 PM

Justin grant!!!

DRFan87 2/25/21 7:27 AM

Kody Swanson is the only correct answer here. Still unbelievable that no one has given him a shot.

opnwhlmnd 2/25/21 9:40 AM

Super happy for Chris. Thanks Brody Hayward, Lauren Albano from @NosEnergyDrink, and the Byrd family for making it happen.

Others who could do well, Buddy Kofoid the kid runs up front in everything he jumps into.

Blacksheep 2/25/21 10:29 AM

I would choose Kyle Cummins, just because I know he has past modified experience. But I believe Chris will do a great job.

JarrettFarms73 2/25/21 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacksheep (Post 537450)
I would choose Kyle Cummins, just because I know he has past modified experience. But I believe Chris will do a great job.

That’s a great point. Didn’t Brady Short come from the modified world as well?

Blacksheep 2/25/21 12:12 PM

I honestly don't know whether he did or not.

Dirt Track Cowboy 2/25/21 2:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JarrettFarms73 (Post 537452)
That’s a great point. Didn’t Brady Short come from the modified world as well?

Yes, he use to run them regularly at Bloomington

jim goerge 2/26/21 8:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacksheep (Post 537450)

Kyle ran a four cylinder mod, before jumping up to sprints. Brady Short was a big winner in the UMP mods before he moved up to sprints.

bighd0522 2/26/21 8:02 PM

Kody swanson

flagboy55 3/3/21 9:07 PM

Great response folks. I like how someone pointed out that Chris ain’t afraid to use the bumper. Also someone pointed out Logan Seavey success in ARCA cars on dirt. I forgot about that and that’s a point well taken. I was a bit surprised how long it took someone to mention Kody, but more than a couple eventually did. Now I see that Shane Golobik is now the teammate to Big Daddy for the Bristol cup race. I’m trying not to be negative and I wish him well, but don’t tell me he’s the best choice, especially when Mr Swanson is still without a ride as far as I know. But Kody aside, has Shane even run a Crown car? Again best wishes, but sure a head scratcher for me

Racefan12 3/4/21 6:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagboy55 (Post 537563)
Now I see that Shane Golobik is now the teammate to Big Daddy for the Bristol cup race.

Not teammates. One is driving for Rick Ware. One is driving for Live Fast. Chris has NOS backing. Shane has Matt Wood backing and is married to Matt’s daughter. The 2 things in common here are money.

JarrettFarms73 3/4/21 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racefan12 (Post 537565)
Not teammates. One is driving for Rick Ware. One is driving for Live Fast. Chris has NOS backing. Shane has Matt Wood backing and is married to Matt’s daughter. The 2 things in common here are money.

I saw a $100 bill once. I was just a kid but i remember it like it was yesterday. Then i had a daughter... 😂 😂

flagboy55 3/4/21 2:30 PM

As the great Randy Newman sang, “It’s Money That Matters” and perhaps nowhere more than the sport we love so. I obviously know it’s a money thing. I figured they’re both NOS guys and getting some help from them. By the way I am doing my part to help as I picked up a couple cans of NOS Turbo yesterday. As previously stated, I wish them well. I absolutely appreciate everything that NOS and Matt Wood and everyone else that supports short track racing are doing. I once heard the great Mario Andretti on a podcast say that “ if you’re fast they will find you”. Don’t hold me to that as an exact quote but it was something like that. Yet we have a guy who continues to prove over and over to have the proper skill set for the subtleties of racing in what’s considered the top ranks of Motorsports and others seem to be “found “ before him.

flagboy55 3/4/21 3:29 PM

Thanks to the Dirtrackr podcast, I found out today that Shane does have some stock car experience from like 2013 out west. Long time ago but I’m sure it’s better than none