Indiana Open Wheel
Page 3 of 6 Last

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   More Midget Races Cancelled (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=52672)

TQ29m 9/8/11 6:25 PM

Re: More Midget Races Cancelled

Spect-acles?:)

Charles Nungester 9/8/11 6:27 PM

I got no beef with C47 Im sure Racing isn't cheap for him either although there are many rules in that book that make things more sustainable than the unlimited series.

As for Quinn. See rule 6. in that little forum rules

Andrew S. Quinn 9/8/11 6:32 PM

I've just asked specific questions,Chuck,right down to the year,and you cant answer them. I figure anyone with 4600 something posts should be quite knowledgable.

Charles Nungester 9/8/11 6:38 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn:
I've just asked specific questions,Chuck,right down to the year,and you cant answer them. I figure anyone with 4600 something posts should be quite knowledgable.

Why should I even talk to you, Your the one starting with the talks about it and never goes to races stuff, And BTW, Im not the only one with 4000+ post and probably half of that is friendly banter with friends made from this site. Either be one, or not is all I gotta say.

STP 9/8/11 7:28 PM

Wouldn't it be cool to have an event with quarter, half, tq, and full midgets?
Posted via Mobile Device

TQ29m 9/8/11 7:36 PM

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
Why should I even talk to you, Your the one starting with the talks about it and never goes to races stuff, And BTW, Im not the only one with 4000+ post and probably half of that is friendly banter with friends made from this site. Either be one, or not is all I gotta say.

Did you guys have any words, before you fell out? Bob!:5:

Rpracing1 9/8/11 7:41 PM

All of Mr.Moores posts always end up as entertaining as this one. Really tickles my funny bone. Some peoples children. :deadhorse: :20:

bgbrd 9/8/11 7:44 PM

Originally Posted by STP:
Wouldn't it be cool to have an event with quarter, half, tq, and full midgets?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds like you have a plan???:32:

STP 9/8/11 8:22 PM

Originally Posted by bgbrd:
Sounds like you have a plan???:32:

More like a thought. LOL If there is enough interest, perhaps it could become reality.

c47 9/8/11 9:01 PM

Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
I got no beef with C47 Im sure Racing isn't cheap for him either although there are many rules in that book that make things more sustainable than the unlimited series.

As for Quinn. See rule 6. in that little forum rules

the only rule that i can think of is motor restrictions. that rule was made to keep the same thing from happening to ardc as what happened to usac, nema and, i guess you could throw most everyone else in there as well.....the obsolescence of the pushrod midget motor.....and the manufacturers changing the rules when something faster comes along. (read as cost savings and more racers at the track)
the only restrictions on motors are that the esslingers have to be small blocks and nothing over 166ci. that leaves it open for mopars, hawks, and yes, even the toyota (so far)

as far as mr buckwalter....the motor he runs in the midwest is not the same as the one he runs with the club. he probably couldnt afford to run it at the club level cause with the extra HP comes less reliablity and more frequent rebuilds and, frankly, he doesnt need the extra HP to win with the club.....he wins with his setups, driving and smoothness.

i personally dont see the point in having a field of cars where 95% of them have the same chassis and motor....plug in a driver and bolt the right pedal to the floor and see who wins.....racing is suppose to be about staying within a certain set of guidelines but having the latitude to make changes and be a little different. i dont see a whole lot of that anymore. and its a shame.

team3521 9/8/11 9:43 PM

WOW! This topic is way off course! I know that's why Don has given up here! I applaud him for trying to make a difference! No one else has the balls to hang their name out there and tell it like it is! This topic is about Midgets and getting them back on track. NOT opening the rules for TQ or a mini sprint to join in for the namesake of "midgets" You have your own classes to run.

c47, Where do you get your information? Esslingers are 161 cubic inches. They were allowed 6 extra cubic inches I don't know, 5 years ago? because Dan had lobbied USAC for it. Then shortly after he got the ci's, he said oh, look what I found, a new head for my motors and the rest is all well known. Fontana also at that point got some ci's too and that was good for them because it made them more competitive. Anyway, push rod motors are NOT obsolescent! Toyota is still a push rod motor? Fontana is still push rod motor? Mopar is a push rod motor? They are all still competitive with the Esslinger and are all winning races. Do I feel the playing field is fair in USAC midgets? Hell no! They need to make further corrections like the failed attempt with their rev limiter but make it work this time to even thinhs up a little bit.

Now, the motor restrictions would be a good start, and yes, I think that is where they should start. That and the weight issue, but like I said in a previous post. The tires are what in my opinion need to be attacked. USAC needs to eliminate the tire deal they have established and NO! I do NOT think those deals are good for the sport! USAC needs to go to Hoosier and tell them, this is what we are going to pay for these tires and not one penny more. If you choose to say no, then there are many many other companies that would love to have the deal that Hoosier tire does. American Racer, Goodyear, etc... and I'm talking all three divisions of USAC, pavement and dirt. Drive the prices down and you will see more cars race again. USAC also needs to curb their greed as well in my opinion. (Like what JDull99 I believe posted) stop making the driver buy a pit pass and pay an entry fee too? All of it adds up!!.... That's just part of reasons for what keeps me in the stands or at home and not out racing, doing what I love!

By the way, I agree with every single post that Don has posted on this subject.

mortboyz 9/8/11 10:03 PM

Attention in the pit area........Attention in the pit area........

Will Kevin Miller, Kenny Brown, Jim Siner, and a representative from BADGER please report to the beer stand please!!

F5 Racer 9/8/11 10:25 PM

This all is the reason I am probably sticking with racing crate late models. I was super excited about racing midgets next year but there's no way I can afford to be competitive. Please I hope they get this figured out!
Posted via Mobile Device

PAW 9/8/11 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by DonMoore10:
I see that Montpelier has cancelled the remaining D1 midget races. When are the midget orgs going to decide that the present formula for midget racing is not working? There are new generation midget engines available right now for $10-12,000 that last for up to 3 years without a rebuild. Over two years ago I heard Kevin Miller on the D.O. radio show say that this is what is needed. So why aren't these engines IN THE CARS RIGHT NOW??? Spending $7900 for a current engine rebuild isn't far from spending $10-12,000 for a brand new cheap engine. When will all the midget orgs put ******** aside and start wilh a clean sheet of paper for midgets?

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

Give it up

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

Give it up,damm

c47 9/8/11 11:41 PM

"c47, Where do you get your information? Esslingers are 161 cubic inches."

please re read my post carefully. you completely missed facts AND the point.

DonMoore10 9/9/11 12:01 AM

I won't be giving up anytime, thanks. For those that read the NATIONAL PARTS PEDDLER NEWSPAPER, you may want to check out the ad by Tobias Speedsters of Myerstown, PA. Rich Tobias has always been on the innovative side of life and here is what is tooted in the ad: There is a pic of one of Tobias' "speedsters" which looks a lot like a dirt midget with a wing. If fact it really does look like a midget. Now you can buy one of his open wheel cars for $16,900 and it includes everything.. yeah.. everything ready for the track, IOWheelers. Furthermore, he says you can afford this!! Hm... I'm adding up the cost of a new midget ready for the track and I'm coming up with $38,000 for a new Spike with the $22,000 (please buy me so we can drive midget racing further into the ground) exotic engine. No rev limiters, BTW mentioned in the ad. Well....Apparently he's not buying the nonsense that a $22,000 engine is going to revive midget type racing. Would you please stand up and take a bow, Rich!!!

And it gets better: If you're the winner of a race, you get $2000!!! hahah Nice! Another home run here. Hang on now.. it still gets better. They have 22 USA races... and... and.. 18 Canadian shows plus 5 new races at New Egypt, NJ Speedway. Mind you, this has all developed in the last few years while the midget brains have been telling everyone that the $22,000 engine is a bargain. Congrats to Rich Tobias!!!! Obviously he's not being lead by the nose by all the midget parts manufacturers. Congrats again, Man!!

ThrowbackRacingTeam 9/9/11 2:14 AM

As long as we're changing all the rules let's get rid of down tubes and all the ugly body work on the side if the cages and open up the **** pits! You may laugh but we had ten times the amount of fans talk to us afterwards in the pits than we ever did once we switched to the modern style. The show is for the fans not the owners or sanctioning body. You have to keep in mind the crowd you're playing to or they'll just stop coming. I know I don't get as excited about going to see them as I used to for asthetic reasons alone. Then throw in dismal car counts and the same three USAC guys always win and it just isn't a must see for me like it used to be and that's depressing. As a competitor I'm willing to run the car however the fans like but I'm about the only one left and I don't have a ride now because most of the owners either quit or are too old or dead. Not enough new ones to replace the oldtimers from the 50's and 60's. USAC needs to seriously reform midget rules but they won't because they think it'll be fine again when the economy comes back. Good luck with that.

Charles Nungester 9/9/11 7:53 AM

Originally Posted by c47:
the only rule that i can think of is motor restrictions. that rule was made to keep the same thing from happening to ardc as what happened to usac, nema and, i guess you could throw most everyone else in there as well.....the obsolescence of the pushrod midget motor.....and the manufacturers changing the rules when something faster comes along. (read as cost savings and more racers at the track)
the only restrictions on motors are that the esslingers have to be small blocks and nothing over 166ci. that leaves it open for mopars, hawks, and yes, even the toyota (so far)

as far as mr buckwalter....the motor he runs in the midwest is not the same as the one he runs with the club. he probably couldnt afford to run it at the club level cause with the extra HP comes less reliablity and more frequent rebuilds and, frankly, he doesnt need the extra HP to win with the club.....he wins with his setups, driving and smoothness.

i personally dont see the point in having a field of cars where 95% of them have the same chassis and motor....plug in a driver and bolt the right pedal to the floor and see who wins.....racing is suppose to be about staying within a certain set of guidelines but having the latitude to make changes and be a little different. i dont see a whole lot of that anymore. and its a shame.

Thanks for that reply. I was wrong to say Spec but the series does open it up a bit and make things more reliable. The last time I seen Steves Car at Sprint week he was running a Don Ott plant, Somewhat unknown around here but not unheard of.

Someone else said that USAC set the limiters near what the tracks toppped out at anyway. Well I heard em going off at all three tracks I went too. I also noticed a lot less detinations going on and more cars finishing the races. I don't know for certain but whose to say the top teams wont or don't try a taller gear and wind em a bit tighter?

The good drivers and teams won anyway for the most part, So whats the big deal on not running them if they'll cut down a rebuild or two a season.

backitin 9/9/11 8:32 AM

Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam:
As long as we're changing all the rules let's get rid of down tubes and all the ugly body work on the side if the cages and open up the **** pits! You may laugh but we had ten times the amount of fans talk to us afterwards in the pits than we ever did once we switched to the modern style. The show is for the fans not the owners or sanctioning body. You have to keep in mind the crowd you're playing to or they'll just stop coming. I know I don't get as excited about going to see them as I used to for asthetic reasons alone. Then throw in dismal car counts and the same three USAC guys always win and it just isn't a must see for me like it used to be and that's depressing. As a competitor I'm willing to run the car however the fans like but I'm about the only one left and I don't have a ride now because most of the owners either quit or are too old or dead. Not enough new ones to replace the oldtimers from the 50's and 60's. USAC needs to seriously reform midget rules but they won't because they think it'll be fine again when the economy comes back. Good luck with that.

I dont agree with losing the downtubes, but the rest of your thinking is like mine. My car was originally without downtubes and all I could see happening was me laying on it's side in the middle of the track and have someone hit the cage in the front. With downtubes the force gets skipped over the cage, without your cage can be sheared off. I'd probley still like modifieds if it wasnt for all the bodywork, sail panels, ect.

c47 9/9/11 8:42 AM

don ott is HUGE when it comes to sprint car motors. he does steves winged car stuff and they are friends so he builds steves midget motors as well.....but unless you have a huge checkbook to make it worthwile, he generally wont touch midget motors.

DonMoore10 9/9/11 9:02 AM

Here is an ad from an internet classified:

2007 Beast (XXXXXXXXX motor) for sale.Leading XXXX Points, second in 2010. All the best stuff, tons of spares.
Motor was rebuilt in March by XXXXXXXXX, eight races on motor so far. Motor was updated with all the latest and greatest stuff ( $9200 )worth.

So.... $9200 to rebuild the $22,000 engine.....:7::7: This is totally insane.

backitin 9/9/11 9:25 AM

Originally Posted by DonMoore10:
Here is an ad from an internet classified:

2007 Beast (XXXXXXXXX motor) for sale.Leading XXXX Points, second in 2010. All the best stuff, tons of spares.
Motor was rebuilt in March by XXXXXXXXX, eight races on motor so far. Motor was updated with all the latest and greatest stuff ( $9200 )worth.

So.... $9200 to rebuild the $22,000 engine.....:7::7: This is totally insane.

Yep, somebody is making out like a bandit, maybe the parts manufactuer, or the engine builder. Probley both. By the way Ott engines are some of the best, probley cost twice what they should be but you cant go wrong with one.
My bud is a supreme car builder/restorer/money maker. He says if you got the money and arnt so vain that you need new everything a ardc competitive car can be had for under 10gs ready for the track, same for a 410 nonwing sprinter. Now I will say we run smaller tracks and a good engine can last quite awhile. Getting a car is the easy part. Tires, fuel, shocks, engine rebuilds, fuel for the hauler thats what we cant afford. If your real good at getting sponsors you can make out ok. Thats my problem I never ask anybody for anything, never had, so my sponsor seeking skills suck, hell I wont even try.

DonMoore10 9/9/11 9:43 AM

Note that the engine in that ad has 8 races on it. The big buck teams will be sending that piece of gold back to the state of CXXXXXXXXX for a rebuild.. more $$$$$$$$$$$$..... $$$$$$$$$$ for shipping cross country......... :7::7: some of these teams yank 'em after 4 races...

Hamby812 9/9/11 9:48 AM

Just sitting here reading through this thread and its obvious why midget racing will die. For every positive idea theres 2 people to tell you how dumb it is and that it wont work. EVERYONE has to work toward the same thing or it wont change.....
Posted via Mobile Device

DonMoore10 9/9/11 9:59 AM

You are 100% correct. And the midget org execs are sitting in their offices right this very minute reading every word of this thread and not doing a thing about it. They have not done one thing since the decline started in 1999 to get midget racing back on track. It's been all about keeping the manufacturers in business.

backitin 9/9/11 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Hamby812:
Just sitting here reading through this thread and its obvious why midget racing will die. For every positive idea theres 2 people to tell you how dumb it is and that it wont work. EVERYONE has to work toward the same thing or it wont change.....
Posted via Mobile Device

You guy's can make it work.
Bottom line is in midget racing you have to get the wealthy involved if your sole desire is to win. Let the big buckers run the midgets, let us small timer's have fun with our mini's and such. Listen you aint gonna run at the front of any midget race inless your well financed, the same cant be said for minisprint racing. Thats why I keep saying it's rediculous that most tracks wont let me run my old 1200 against the new 1000's. Jeepers it's just a freakin minisprint race, who cares ? I believe if you want good midget racing again you need to have a weight limit and safety tech, the only two rules. I'd rather see 16 of the baddest midgets around then a full field of cookie cutters. As far as midget's They've always been a upper class ride, a premiere race car, the common class need not apply. Maybe thats why thay were so special in the first place.

R.Drang 9/9/11 10:14 AM

I think Don is right on most of the rules, and a few others have mentiooned it too. On top of tires, you need a good weight rule, the top cars can easily bolt on weight. If you upped the weight rule you could get back some of the iron block engines( the ones sitting in barns and garages). But with this im sure that someone will say that they will not have the same performance, and ill agree with that to a certain extent, but if you were to mandate a tire co. and use the Hardest tire made for a midget, the top of the line engines may not hook up

Hamby812 9/9/11 10:14 AM

16 of the best midgets dont pay the guy putting on the show or the casual fan. You cant just think about the people involved now.....we have to get new people out and intrested in racing. But if i take a guy intrested in paying for my ride to the track and he see 16 cars and 1000 fans needless to say he wont be impressed......
Posted via Mobile Device

racerjim2 9/9/11 10:17 AM

There was nothing any more beautiful than a Kurtis Kraft midget and the sound of an Offy....period! I could even deal with a rollcage. Look at the cars now. That should tell you what's wrong with midget racing at a glance.:14:

DonMoore10 9/9/11 10:38 AM

The fans on this web site have spoken over and over and over again that they want to see substantial car counts at a race. That's not going to change. It's at the top of the topic list on here along with dusty race tracks. The fans have been forgotten in all of this. The manufacturers are running what we know as midget racing today and the midget orgs have let them do it. The result is about 13 well funded midget teams and a few outsiders showed up at LaSalle. 16 cars total when there should have been 30-40 signed in and apparently the show consisted of two heat races and a feature. Hardly what the fan wants to pay to see in this current society. Once again the decline has been gradually happening over the last 12 years.

Smart business men and corporations follow closely the trend of society and their needs. Why do you think that McDonalds will tear down one of their buildings and build a new one? Society these days are attracted to the "new", something fresh. That sells and attracts customers. Something current and with the times sells products and this is dictated by the customer, not the manufacturers who build equipment for restaurants or the contractors and designers. This is why midget racing is F##### up today. The model is operating for all the wrong reasons. Again, the result of all of this is 16 cars showing for a premiere event.

16 cars for what is billed as a premiere midget race in the heart of the midwest with a few hundred midgets within 200 miles is not acceptable for the discerning fan today.

backitin 9/9/11 12:40 PM

You guys are spoiled, I'd take 16 of the the best nonruled midgets over a field of great, good and junk throw together just to have a full field. Have time trials for cash, points or whatever. Fast guy's start in the rear. Thats what makes for the most boring race's, you start the fastest guy up front, then in order, slower and slower and wonder why its a frieght train. Back at Flemington the fastest guys would start in the rear, and as a pack charge they're way thru. As much as I love Sprintcars today as a kid I didnt like em that much cause the modifieds were almost as light and small plus they ran Big Blocks with injectors. At the time I knew of some guys that were running 1500 or so horsepower and could use every bit of it at the square, which was know as modified country usa for a reason. Now we were just small block wanna be's BUT we won some of the biggest races of the season the 100 lap specials. We'd start out with so much fuel the rear end would be draggin but we didnt have to pit like the big blocks. There pretty much were no rules at all back then and guys were still racing with just tee shirts running probley close to a 100 gallons of fuel, lol. Anyhow the reason we didnt like the sprintcars was they had to push start the dang things. Everytime there was a red and there would be (flemingtons other knickname was flip city) You had to sit around too long to see a small block car that was basically the same as the modifieds with a 1000 less hp. Know I'm much more knowledgable now and know you guys have the best racing anywhere, them 410 sprints, the ultimate in race cars, sorry midget guys.

Hamby812 9/9/11 1:00 PM

Everything you stated was fine backitin except where u said were spoiled. Yes i love to watch midgets and especially quality midgets but what u obviously dont realize is no one is gonna keep promoting these cars and tracks will stop bringing them in if there only gettin 16 cars, thats the point. And IMO id rather see so simple rules to even it up and bring the cost down than to just say run what ya brung. The main reason.....if the cars are fairly equal then guys will actually be driving to a victory not buying their way to victory......im done on this to many people that dont grasp the big picture....to bad for midget racing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Revolution Racing 9/9/11 1:47 PM

Revolution Racing Engines builds a nice little engine that sells for under 11k, complete from the air filter to the muffler and from the pumps to the U-joint. This engine is not fully competitive with traditional Midget engines costing three times as much, but most people who have seen it run agree that its not that far off. We have finished many short track races with this engine in the top 5 with regional Midget clubs around the country - earlier this year, one of our cars ran wheel to wheel at Chico with the likes of Clauson, the Swanson boys, etc in a USAC event. But more important than all of this, is that after three years of racing this engine we have found it to be extremely durable. Three full years of competition, with no internal maintenance whatsoever, is what you can expect from this engine. Most people want to talk purchase price when discussing the cost of Midget racing but the cost of KEEPING AN ENGINE RUNNING is even more important. I feel we score well on both counts.

Cost and upkeep issues aside, as I said this package is admittedly not fully competitive against current engines. We are developing a 'Stage II' engine that we feel will close this gap for short track applications. Our initial tests of this package have been positive but we have a little more work to do. As you all know, nothing is for nothing in racing - the stage II engine will cost more and be less durable than the original package, but we are talking about perhaps 15k and two years with no internal maintenance - still IMO far better than the average today.

Kenny Brown with POWRi has welcomed this formula, as has the SOWS group down south. BCRA here on the coast features 3 RRE ECOtec Midgets at every show, and one of them is currently second in overall Championship points (this car also finished second in points last year). Many other Midget groups around the country are aware of our program, and are I believe prepared to accept the formula. Granted, it is different from what we are all used to. But I believe our package can solve some (many?) of the problems the sport currently faces regarding car counts.

I am not opposed to traditional engines. My best friend in racing runs a Gearte and I help him with it every chance I get. Our problem is that we just don't have ENOUGH new racers - for WHATEVER reason - who are willing to get into Midget racing with a traditional engine. The proof of this statement is in the car counts, we can't deny it. There are thousands of young drivers across the country right now running quarter midgets and micros, and Midget racing simply is not attracting enough of them to remain viable, with the overall program we currently offer. To those new guys who do come to the sport and choose an Esslinger or a Fontana I say 'God Bless You'. But we are not going to save this deal with those guys alone. We need to drag this port - kicking and screaming apparently - into the 21st century.

:32:

Brolzy 9/9/11 1:59 PM

I've been out of the open wheel game for a while now, but I hate what's happened to midget racing. One of my first stops when I moved out here to Indiana was 16th Street Speedway, which I miss. With that said, since people are throwing all sorts of ideas out there, here's mine. Hopefully with all of the ideas out here, somebody with the passion, power and money can put something together that makes sense.

1. I don't think we can rely on the current sanctioning bodies to change things, it's going to take someone creating something new that will hopefully pass the old guard in time. Today, if you're not changing with what the market wants, you're being left behind quicker than ever.

2. We all agree that the cars need to be cheaper, and there's all sorts of ideas out there for that. Something like the 1 tire per position a night could work bring the tire bill down...but as for engines, the other huge expense, we need wholesale changes. Not just to bring the motor cost down, but to bring some interest from other manufacturers. There are so many 4-cylinders out there that can do the job with minimal modification. Sure, they might be a bit slower, but wouldn't that help the tire bill, too? Oh, and weight limits, exotic metal ban, etc., are interesting ideas that technical experts can argue about.

3. I mentioned other manufacturer interest. They won't come unless there's a reason...a large fan-base to market to. For that, and forgive me for using this as an example, but look at what Feld has done with supercross and monster trucks. You could build a decent and safe temporary dirt circuit (sorry, I live in sports car racing world now, LOL) inside of stadiums that have huge capacities compared to the tracks midgets currently race at. Then it takes some marketing dollars/skills and business to business deals to fill the place. The financial outlay would be much more for the promoter, but the rewards could be huge, too. This would help field size, too, because who wouldn't want to racing in front of that many people, especially if they aren't spending $30k on an engine? Oh, this could breed a tv package, too. I know, I dream big. With more money coming in, a promoter can maybe provide more support to their teams that are supporting them, and not have to make such a high percentage of money off of the back gate.

4. Looking at this through a marketing geek's eyes like I do, if you are running a show like above, I'm sorry traditionalists, push trucks either have to go, or each team has to provide one for their car. Since the latter sounds like a nightmare, you can guess where I stand. But, if you're not spending $30k on an engine, some of that money can go to a simple clutch and tranny, right?

Midget racing needs a complete game changer at this point...and like I said earlier, I don't think any of the current sanctioning bodies will do any of the above, or the other great ideas I've read. That's why we need someone or a group of someones to come in and save it. History has shown that the status quo won't.

Man, I haven't typed this much about short track racing in a while...that' felt good! :)

Rpracing1 9/9/11 2:15 PM

Originally Posted by Brolzy:
That's why we need someone or a group of someones to come in and save it. History has shown that the status quo won't.

I believe the two guys for the job are right here................TQ29m and DonMoore10...................

DonMoore10 9/9/11 2:37 PM

The Revolution racing type midget engine for 11K is exactly what the midget sport needs. I'm all for it. My question is: Does that come with a self starter/clutch? As much as I love the push trucks, we are living with ancient technology, guys, with the pushing. It needs to go to grow this sport. Like I said earlier, there is not a promoter in the country that would not welcome the midgets without the push trucks. It needs to go.

I vote no on the $15,000 version midget engine that Keith talked about. To me it's just the start of higher costs again... spending more money when not needed. I personally think the current midgets are too fast. I'm sure there are drivers that won't agree with that, but it's not how fast you are going but how much competitive racing can you generate for the fans. I did an informal survey a few years back on here and IOWheeler's overwelmingly stated that it wasn't the speed but the competition that gave them the racing high. Once again, we all need to put aside the way things have always been done and build the sport based on the fans and not those internally involved with the sport.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Rpracing1:
I believe the two guys for the job are right here................TQ29m and DonMoore10...................

Not gonna happen. I already have several hundred thousand dollars at stake here that I fear will be wiped away soon if something doesn't change. That's enough to keep me busy. I'm not only an owner but I'm a long time fan of the sport also.

Revolution Racing 9/9/11 2:58 PM

Don,

The bell housing / starter / clutch components are all tooled up and I have six sets machined on the shelf, ready to go. We don't currently run them because right now we are competing against engines that don't carry that extra rotating weight and we are trying to reamin as competitive as possible. But to answer your question, yes we could provide the engines with starter and clutch for just about the same money. They already do come with a starter.

As for the 'stage II' engine, I agree it would be awesome if we could somehow avoid this slippery slope. Most of the guys who have seen the cars run agree that they put on a good show just as they are, and the only reason we are leaning on them is becuase under the current circumstances, we need to try and compete agianst engines that are a lot bigger, a lot more expensive, and require a lot more upkeep.

If we could develop a program that welcomed engines equivalent to our standard package, we would open the door to virtually every engine manufacturer on the planet that produces a twin cam, four valve, four cylinder automotive engine. That is a LOT of potential involvement. Honestly, I can't fully get my head around the reasons why the Midget racing community seems to have turned its back on this opportunity. These type of engines represent the cutting edge of current automotive technology, and embracing these designs would leap frog Midget racing from the back of the pack to the front in terms of technology and relavance to the marketplace.

:deadhorse:

backitin 9/9/11 3:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hamby812:
Everything you stated was fine backitin except where u said were spoiled. Yes i love to watch midgets and especially quality midgets but what u obviously dont realize is no one is gonna keep promoting these cars and tracks will stop bringing them in if there only gettin 16 cars, thats the point. And IMO id rather see so simple rules to even it up and bring the cost down than to just say run what ya brung. The main reason.....if the cars are fairly equal then guys will actually be driving to a victory not buying their way to victory......im done on this to many people that dont grasp the big picture....to bad for midget racing.
Posted via Mobile Device

I didnt mean it as a put down, but you have no idea, although how bad it is now it can be. I'll trade you 1/2 of your racing for the crap we have around here. Really the only nonwing racing we have is Hamlin PA. A great little track, they run nonwing 600's which are nice but they're micro's on ten inch wheels. Besides that you have to sit threw 20 spinouts in the 270 winged micro's to see any 600 racing. I know I'm getting a bit off topic here but somehow poeple tend to think a 270 is a good starter car cause they dont have horsepower, when just the opposite is true a car is easyier to handle if you have ample horsepower and dont have to rely on spinning the guts out of a hand granade to keep up momentum, which is a great thing to learn but momentum comes with time. I understand totally about midgets, they cost alot of money.

DonMoore10 9/9/11 3:32 PM

Thanks for the great info. I'm actually speechless here and wondering why all of this is not being implemented right now. Well, I should say I do know why. In the meantime we are all sitting by watching midget racing implode.

DonMoore10 9/9/11 3:34 PM

Thanks for the great info. I'm actually speechless here and wondering why all of this is not being implemented right now. Well, I should say I do know why. In the meantime we are all sitting by watching midget racing implode.