IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Trend?
2/27/14, 12:58 PM   #1
Trend?
RacingFan

Race Count This Year: 1

Another sprint/midget guy in Nascar, yet pages and pages of "news" ignore the success of former drivers (http://usacracing.com/news). For those of you who are sick of DW saying "we have the best drivers in the world" - as the landscape is now populated with more open wheel veterans, maybe his statement is becoming more true. The next time you go to Lincoln Park or Kokomo, just remember you might be watching Nascar's next new stars:

Conley Joins RCR’s Nationwide Roster
by NSSN Staff
WELCOME, N.C. – Cale Conley has joined Richard Childress Racing’s 2014 NASCAR Nationwide Series driver lineup in the No. 33 Chevrolet Camaro.
Conley will run a limited schedule, making his Nationwide Series debut at Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway in March.
“I am very grateful and anxious for the opportunity to race with Richard Childress Racing,” said Conley. “My goal, at this point, is to get past these anxious feelings, do what I know best on the track and learn as much as possible from the team. Opportunities like this don’t come along often, so I am going to do my best and learn as much as possible.”
Conley, 21, raced full time in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East in 2013 finishing with four top-fives, five top-10s and one pole award. He cut his teeth as a teenager, racing winged sprint cars on dirt and USAC midgets on pavement.
The Vienna, W.Va., native will team up with crew chief Nick Harrison, who joined RCR in 2013. Harrison’s crew chief experience spreads across 131 races in NASCAR’s top-three series and includes a Nationwide Series victory at Daytona Int’l Speedway in July 2012.
“We look forward to getting Cale in our car and seeing him take the next step in his career,” said Richard Childress, president and CEO of RCR. “He’s done a good job on the K&N Series level and we’re pairing him up with a solid race team. It’s going to be a bit of a learning curve, so that’s why the limited schedule works perfect for him and allows him to progress at a comfortable pace.”

2/27/14, 1:14 PM   #2
Re: Trend?
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

When Childress said he hired John Wes Townley (aka John Wrecks Weekly) on his talent I knew he would lie to anyones face. I know Cale has raced a variety of cars, and I think his father raced in ASA. I get the feeling a lot of these guys (Tyler Reddick comes to mind) who come from wealthy, often hard working families know all along they are just passing through USAC, so I don't consider them to be an open wheel racer. Just diversifying for a nice looking resume, looks better then racing Detroit Iron for 10 years.

3 members like this post: Bostonian, jdull99, Speedwrench
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Trend?