IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Shout Out -
2/20/14, 11:50 AM   #1
Shout Out -
Tim Clauson

Just wanted to give a shout out to the announcer last night on the USAC live feed from Ocala. For the first time I feel like I was really entertained by a live feed. The announcer was well informed and did a great job of talking up all the drivers and educating the audience on not only the "stars" but everyone who was on track last night. My pet peeve when watching these broadcasts are hearing from announcers who can not pronounce names or don't know who is in what car or the worst, blaring music. This guy obviously did his homework and worked his tail off all night to keep the audience well informed and entertained. And it was only practice night !!

Thanks !!

Tim Clauson
Last edited by Tim Clauson; 2/20/14 at 11:51 AM. Reason: .

2/20/14, 4:34 PM   #2
Re: Shout Out -
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

Correct me if I am wrong, is the announcer Ozzie Altman? I agree whoever it was did a fantastic job.

2/20/14, 7:24 PM   #3
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Clauson View Post
Just wanted to give a shout out to the announcer last night on the USAC live feed from Ocala. For the first time I feel like I was really entertained by a live feed. The announcer was well informed and did a great job of talking up all the drivers and educating the audience on not only the "stars" but everyone who was on track last night. My pet peeve when watching these broadcasts are hearing from announcers who can not pronounce names or don't know who is in what car or the worst, blaring music. This guy obviously did his homework and worked his tail off all night to keep the audience well informed and entertained. And it was only practice night !!

Thanks !!

Tim Clauson
Tim, as a former announcer, I feel that it is a position often overlooked by many tracks, and filled by the ones who were too slow to get away. A bad announcer can make a good show mediocre and a bad show completely unbearable. It just takes a bit of homework and leg work. That is the situation down here in Texas. This is really great to hear.

1 member likes this post: billw
2/20/14, 7:24 PM   #4
MWestfallfan54

Yes that was Ozzie

2/20/14, 7:40 PM   #5
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWestfallfan54 View Post
Yes that was Ozzie
Where's he from? AFAIK, I never heard him before. I really like him.

2/20/14, 8:34 PM   #6
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

I've announced with Ozzie and was supposed to announce with him for the broadcasts this weekend, he is top shelf and WELL INFORMED. He has literally announced every class of cars under the sun and currently does NASCAR for New Hampshire, Atlanta, and Charlotte motor speedway. He also does the dirt track at Charlotte and Eldora special events. He's one of my idols as far as announcing goes. USAC definitely nabbed a good one this weekend. I'm highly disappointed I needed to make an emergency trip home and miss this opportunity to work with him again.

1 member likes this post: racegal
2/20/14, 9:42 PM   #7
miledirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmakin View Post
Tim, as a former announcer, I feel that it is a position often overlooked by many tracks, and filled by the ones who were too slow to get away. A bad announcer can make a good show mediocre and a bad show completely unbearable. It just takes a bit of homework and leg work. That is the situation down here in Texas. This is really great to hear.
Very true

2/20/14, 9:47 PM   #8
smith19

ozzie is well known in the south. he announced late models for years and is very sharp. probably second to james Essex in knowledge. (lucas oil announcer) and long time brownstown speedway announcer...

2/20/14, 10:05 PM   #9
treecitytornado

A great announcer is not only well informed, he is passionate about what he is doing too! Best Sprint Car Announcer Ever is Terry Baltes, Hands Down! He knew the drivers, cars, stats, and made it exciting for the fans!
Jack Miller was pretty great too, R.I.P.
Last edited by treecitytornado; 2/20/14 at 10:13 PM.

3 members like this post: cmakin, dkdorkboy, tim brown
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Shout Out -