Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cole Whitt
7/29/10, 5:43 PM   #1
Cole Whitt
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

From the Redbull Racing site:

MOORESVILLE, N.C. — Cole Whitt went from racing an open-wheel car four or five nights a week to driving a stock car once or twice a month. That schedule change all happened in less than a year. How’s he handling it, you ask?

“I miss racing. Period,” said Whitt, Red Bull Racing Team’s development driver of the No. 84 in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East. “If this series ran twice a weekend, or even just once a week, I’d be fine with that. This just isn’t enough racing for me. Just kills me in the heart. I need more racing, for sure.”

Until more race dates surface, however, Whitt will have to settle for Friday’s K&N East race at Lee USA Speedway in Lee, N.H. The seventh date on the 10-race calendar comes at the .375-mile paved oval in southeastern New Hampshire — the shortest track on the circuit.

“We’ll go to a new track again and try to learn it as quickly as possible,” Whitt said. “It’s a short track, going to be a little like South Boston (Va.) where we’ve been to earlier this year. We’ll go there with a similar setup and a similar mindset. But the mindset is to go for it from the green flag.”

Whitt’s coming off a second-place finish in the season’s lone road-course race at Connecticut’s Lime Rock Park. He led 12 laps that day before giving way to Canadian road racer Andrew Ranger in the closing stages. Before that, in Whitt’s last trip to “The Granite State” on June 25, he ran into a rear gear problem at New Hampshire Motor Speedway and finished 26th.

All totaled, Whitt has finishes of third, second, ninth and second. But laced in between those four finishes are showings of 22nd (Iowa, transmission) and 26th (New Hamsphire). He’s 146 points behind leader Ryan Truex, but only 93 behind second place and 46 behind third.

“We still have our eye on the championship, don’t get me wrong, but we’re going for wins,” Whitt said. “We’ve brought a car to every race and have been in contention. People know we are one of the faster cars. We’ve done our job so far, and we have to keep doing that. Unfortunately, we have two races where we didn’t finish well. Two tough breaks, but other than that, we’ll keep running like we know how to do.”

Qualifying is scheduled for 6 p.m. ET, with the green flag set for 8:30. The race will be televised on a delayed-tape basis at 6 p.m. Aug. 5 on SPEED.

2 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, mowerman
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cole Whitt