IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Anyone remember this Sprinter?
7/25/10, 7:20 PM   #1
Anyone remember this Sprinter?
cars5752

Back some time ago I posted a request trying to get info on a driver named Bill Teeters, who I believed lived in Muncie, In. I've obtained a photo of the car and thought I'd try again. It's a 1972 Lloyd Shores chassis. I'm trying to get history, but cannot locate Mr. Teeters.
Attached Images
Teeter Sprint.jpg (358.3 KB, 575 views)

7/25/10, 10:03 PM   #2
Re: Anyone remember this Sprinter?
Speedwrench

Out of curiousity, since the car appears to be a spring front, does it have provision in the front end of the frame for parallel torsion bars?

7/26/10, 10:32 PM   #3
cars5752

Don't see any provisions in it's current state.

7/28/10, 10:13 PM   #4
Speedwrench

I never heard of this Teeters before but I think that I can supply some history of the car before he got it.

Lloyd Shores took me to my first sprint car race and I hung around his shop on an off and on basis for years. Unfortunately the car was built when I wasn't hanging on a regular basis. Hopefully this will help you and I will apologize in advance for any inaccuracies.

In the time frame you mentioned Lloyd built two cars that were of a cross rear/parallel front configuration similar to Paul Leffler's cars. One car was taken car of by Lloyd's brother Jack and was driven by Allen Barr. The other car Lloyd took car of and was driven by Danny Bowlen of Bloomington, Indiana. As I remember both cars started out in this configuration but must have had some problems as they were converted to spring fronts. This is why I asked if the mounts for the front torsion bars were still on the car. I don't think the mounts were removed when the cars were converted and I don't think one car was a four bar and the other a spring front when originally built. Also I'm not aware that Lloyd built any other spring fronts similar to your car, eliminating the possibility of a third car.

That I am aware of, these were the last non four bar sprint cars that Lloyd built and they were not customer cars. This is before Lloyd went into the car building business.

Somewhere along the line the deal that enabled them to run two cars must have fallen apart and I don't think the Shores brothers ran them a full season. I don't know what happened to the cars after things went South.

As you may be aware, Lloyd has been dead for several years and the last I heard Jack was living in Brown County Indiana but I don't know if he is still around either.

I hope this helps you in tracking down the history of your car. If I remember anything else that might be of help to you I will keep you informed.

Good luck with your project.
Last edited by Speedwrench; 7/28/10 at 10:36 PM.

7/29/10, 9:24 PM   #5
cars5752

Smokey, that's awesome information. Many thanks for taking the time and interest in providing me with your feedback.

Regards, Dave Hatcher

11/14/10, 8:43 PM   #6
old timer 38

I have a Shores Car that was supposed to have been built in the early 80's. built for Frank Faurote from Lafayette In would you know anything about this car.

11/14/10, 9:24 PM   #7
TQ29m

Allan Barr drove for Jack Cookson, out of Columbus, In about that time frame, Jerry Castor, who helps put the Columbus Old Timers get together, together, may be able to shed some light on this car, he frequents this website, worth a chance. Good luck! Bob may be Cooksen, but I think it's Cookson.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Anyone remember this Sprinter?