IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Sandy Lowe (Offline)
  #1 8/17/16 8:52 PM
13th Annual Dick Gaines Memorial Saturday at Lawrenceburg Speedway

The 13th Annual “Dick Gaines Memorial,” featuring the Kelsey Chevrolet Sprint cars, will be held on August 20th at the Lawrenceburg Speedway in Lawrenceburg, Ind. Saturday night’s race honors the memory of one of Indiana’s greatest sprint car heroes, who was inducted into the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame in 1992.

Dick Gaines was nearly unbeatable in the early 1960’s, then won the prestigious “Little 500” at Anderson Speedway in 1973 and 1976. In 1974 he won the “Knoxville Nationals,” beating Jan Opperman on the final lap. Gaines was often seen competing at the Lawrenceburg Speedway where he won track championships in 1963, 1965 and 1976.

Gaines retired in 1977 from a racing career that spanned thirty years and included an association with such celebrated car owners as Red McCord, Dizz Wilson, and Karl Kinser. In all, he amassed over 600 victories in fifteen states.

Since its inception a dozen years ago the “Dick Gaines Memorial” has included some of the best drivers in Indiana dirt track racing. In 2004, then rookie Bryan Clauson captured his first win at “The Burg” after battling wheel-to-wheel for 30-laps with Dick’s son Dickie.

After a caution flag late in the race bunched the field, Gaines’ last ditch charge off of turn four at the checkered wasn’t enough. “I want to thank Dickie for racing me clean the entire race. He had chances where he could have put a wheel under me, but he didn’t,” Clauson said in victory lane.

Although Dickie has multiple wins on the Dearborn County oval, and a 2003 track championship, his runner-up finish in 2004 has been his best to date in the race honoring his father. Gaines has also finished fourth (2010), sixth (2006 and 2015), seventh (2011) and ninth (2007).

Amazingly, in twelve runnings of the “Dick Gaines Memorial”, there has never been a repeat winner. In fact, only Hunter Schuerenberg has been able to score a win (2008) and a runner-up finish (2011). Jerry Coons, Jr., Dave Darland, Justin Grant and Joss Moffatt are the only other drivers with a pair of podium finishes under their belts.
DICK GAINES MEMORIAL WINNERS
2004 Bryan Clauson
2005 Kevin Briscoe
2006 AJ Anderson
2007 Jimmy Light
2008 Hunter Schuerenberg
2009 Jerry Coons, Jr.
2010 John Memmer
2011 Coleman Gulick
2012 Jonathan Hendrick
2013 Justin Grant
2014 Chase Stockon
2015 Jon Stanbrough
The 2016 running of the “Dick Gaines Memorial” will once again pay $3,000 to win and $300 to start the 25-lap feature. As was the case last year, this event is part of the Jackslash.com “Summer Series” presented by Weld Racing and will be taped for future airing on MAV-TV as part of the Dirty 30 series.

With only three Kelsey Chevrolet Sprint car races left in the 2016 race season, points are at a premium. DNF’s by both Joss Moffatt and Shawn Westerfeld two weeks ago have given Jarett Andretti a little breathing room in his quest for his first Lawrenceburg Speedway track championship. Andretti holds a 140-point advantage over defending champion Moffatt, with Westerfeld another 70 markers back and himself engaged in a tight 5-point battle with Garrett Abrams for third place.

General admission gates are set to open at 5:00 pm Saturday with hot laps at 6:00 pm and opening ceremonies scheduled for 7:00 pm. Adult general admission is $18, children (7-12) are $7, and those 6 and under are free. Pit passes are $30 for all ages.

Saturday is also “47025 Night at the Races” and any resident with a 47025 zip code who presents a valid driver license at the gate will receive free general admission. The Lawrenceburg Speedway is also hosting a Pet Food & Toy Drive in conjunction with their friends at Kroger. For each item you bring to donate you will receive a chance to win a $100 Kroger gift card.

For more information please visit www.lawrenceburgspeedway.com or the “Lawrenceburg Speedway” Facebook page.

August 20, 2016 – 13th Annual Dick Gaines Memorial
Lawrenceburg Speedway, Lawrenceburg, Ind.

Racing to feature:
• Kelsey Chevrolet Sprints ($3,000 to win/$300 to start)
• Budweiser UMP Modifieds
• Impact Sports Pure Stocks
• Bessler’s U Pull & Save Hornets

General Admission:
• Adults $18
• Children (7-12) $7
• Children (6 & under) FREE

Pit Passes:
• All Ages $30

Times
• Pit Gate 4:00 pm
• Front Gate 5:00 pm
• Hot Laps 6:00 pm
• Opening Ceremonies 7:00 pm

For More Information – www.lawrenceburgspeedway.com
7 Likes: ARG, Charles Nungester, Gregg, jim goerge, RynoK1999, smith19, SPRINTCAR
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #2 8/17/16 9:35 PM
Dick Gaines was one of my childhood hero's along with Wilkerson, Millburn, Gillstrap, Krebs, Solominto, Marvin Deputy and a few others. if he was there. He was the man to beat and only a couple could do it with any regularity. If he was on, You couldn't touch him. It was a "GAINES CRUISE" and there wasn't nothing you could do about it.

I've been to almost all of these and I wasn't aware that it was the first one in 2004 but I do remember BC beating Dickie and that quote from victory lane is exactly what he said. He was stoked as it was one of his first sprint wins and I was happy for him. He made a fan out of my dad, Who would always ask is the number 7 going to be there Later I would have to tell dad that BC was in the 39 or the 20 or the 63 but he was a avid follower and I grew just to totally respect in awe of Bryan's talent and the humbleness which with he carried himself.

Anyway, Look forward to this race every year and this year is no exception. Dick Gaines SR was one hell of a driver and Im proud to have seen him race on several occations in my younger years.

See you Saturday!

Charles Nungester
7 Likes: ARG, davidm, EPSpeed, FALCONEDDIE, jim goerge, Sandy Lowe, wallbanger II
Sandy Lowe (Offline)
  #3 8/18/16 7:00 PM
Don't forget about your chance to win a $100 Kroger gift card by participating in the Pet Food & Toy Drive.

Blacki-Suede (Offline)
  #4 8/18/16 8:41 PM
Gaines, Wilkerson, Milburn, Gilstrap, etc were your "childhood heroes". Damn I'm old.

Black Suede
3 Likes: Charles Nungester, jim goerge, tirespinner
FALCONEDDIE (Offline)
  #5 8/18/16 8:52 PM
Charlie & johnnie, WE ARE HERE AND WAITING. HAVE RV PARKED IN OUR USUAL SPOT. HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL SATURDAY NIGHT. PRAY FOR NO RAIN.
btg1963 (Offline)
  #6 8/19/16 12:03 AM
Sandy, Did Dick Gaines fully retire from racing in 1977? I thought he raced at Haubstadt later than that, but I could be mistaken. Either way, he was one of the greats!
Sandy Lowe (Offline)
  #7 8/19/16 6:00 PM
Originally Posted by btg1963:
Sandy, Did Dick Gaines fully retire from racing in 1977? I thought he raced at Haubstadt later than that, but I could be mistaken. Either way, he was one of the greats!
The information I have found stated that in 1977 he drove for Karl Kinser, winning about 75% of the races they entered. He was seriously injured in a crash in Champaign, Ill. that summer and he announced his retirement over the winter as he was slowly recovering from the accident.

He did un-retire in 1978 and teamed up once again with Dizz Wilson as Karl had hired his cousin Steve to pilot the #11. Although he was still recuperating from his accident Gaines did manage to win a few races before he finally retired for good.
Sandy Lowe (Offline)
  #8 8/19/16 6:04 PM
ROAD CONSTRUCTION

State Road 1 is closed at Nowlin Avenue in Greendale, Ind. until October 7th. Cars will be able to navigate a small detour but trailers will not due to a tunnel with low clearance.
ARG (Offline)
  #9 8/19/16 9:54 PM
I so love hearing stories of a father in law I never knew. Dickie loves hearing stories about his hero and loves sharing them too. I know he has told me several times of watching his dad get in a car when he was in his late 50's/early 60's. He said he drove the car like he hadn't missed a season. He has a photocopied picture on the fridge in our shop of that race. The only wheel on the ground was the right rear. 😊
6 Likes: cj02, jim goerge, Sandy Lowe, smith19, streetglider, tirespinner
btg1963 (Offline)
  #10 8/19/16 10:26 PM
Thanks Sandy! I read the same. Found some additional info today about him racing later. I appreciate your response.