IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > THAT track prep
7/15/15, 8:50 PM   #1
THAT track prep
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Or lack there of. One of the worst I've seen in 20 years. Biggest crowd I've ever seen here for USAC and the track sucks. Par for the course, I guess.

7/15/15, 9:10 PM   #2
qwert

Track isn't great but it's a race and not a rain out.

7/15/15, 9:20 PM   #3
Re: THAT track prep
xoxide

Maybe you shoulda gone out there and done it better......

7/15/15, 10:50 PM   #4
bmemmer

Dunno what track you was at. Yes it was dusty but the racing was great. Can't tell me there wasn't no passing. Ballou put on a show first heat and tmez went 17th to 1st in the bmain. Plenty of sliders in a main also

7/15/15, 11:07 PM   #5
Rpracing1

I've seen a whole lot worse at THAT.

I thought it was decent. Same track for everyone.

2 members like this post: Jerry Shaw, Pat O'Connor Fan
7/15/15, 11:12 PM   #6
wrtracing

I thought The track prep was great for a hot windy sunny day in mid July. There was passing from start to finish. Passing in the heats. A ton of passing in the semi. And lots of good passing an action in the feature. I think the only problem was with the wind direction. Tonight it was blowing directly at the grandstands. I don't think you can blame that on track prep. The entire show was over around 10:45 PM. Congratulations USAC and Bob Sargent & crew for a job well done!

There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way.

Christopher Morley

7/15/15, 11:50 PM   #7
Re: THAT track prep
Jerry Shaw

I don't know what more you could ask for in a racing surface, than what we had here, tonight. The heats all had passing in them. 7 out of the top 9 qualifiers transferred into the feature. Then, in the B-Main, as the other poster said, everybody watched T-Mez put on a show, coming from back to front and on many laps he was so high in the turn 2 cushion that his right rear was scraping the wall. Bouncing off of it on a few laps. Then, in the feature, the track was still obviously just as fast as it had been during qualifications, as the eventual winner Aaron Farney, Robert Ballou and Chad Boespflug all logged in multiple laps in the sub 22 second range. You had a winner that was so fast that he actually drove away from Robert Ballou, as the laps counted down. Think about that. Driving away from The Madman on a big, fast track! It was a powerhouse performance. And there was even some late race drama in Aaron's run, as he smacked the turn two wall quite hard a couple of times before he took the checkered. And Ballou was flying, himself, to the point that Chad never really threatened him. And the race also featured some hard chargers and some great battles. Shane Cottle was on the move, from the drop of the green, gaining many spots. That part of the field that featured Jerry Coons, KT Jr, Dave Darland and Jon Stanbrough was just a non-stop battle, for nearly all the race. And pretty soon, they were joined by Chase Stockon who started aggressively moving through the field from about the 10th lap on. Chase ended up 5th! And the way Dave Darland went on a tear, especially in the last 10 laps to fight his way to a podium spot. It was a skillful move he used to wrestle third away from Chad, who was strong himself, all race. And the "if life gives you lemons, make lemonade" award goes to Brady Bacon, who was well back in the field for most of the race and some how ended up in 7th.

Good job to Bob Sargent and his crew!

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 7/16/15 at 12:05 AM.

7/15/15, 11:51 PM   #8
Joey Woods

Those that complain about track prep have obviously never fought a race track all week in July and August

7/16/15, 12:43 AM   #9
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Nope guys. Robert Ballou apologized for the ****** track prep after his heat win if you could hear it on the dilapatated PA system. The wall hadn't been cleaned since the last race and the lights in the corners were pointed down in the infield. It was hard to see the action up high. I've been going there since 1981 and know what the hell I'm talking about. There was a lot of people I talked to making their first visit and weren't impressed. The place needs some help and I would love to see that happen so I can enjoy another 30 years. On the Positive side, thanks to Bob Sargent for footing the bill and Aaron Farney for an absolutely amazing drive for his first win in a sprint car! If I had the dough I would gladly promote lots of USAC races and field 30 cars myself but until then, when I see incompetence at an event that could have been better and showcase USAC racing better I have to complain, I guess. If you were thoroughly thrilled, then disregard my thoughts and we'll enjoy Putnamville.

1 member likes this post: stealth43k
7/16/15, 2:49 AM   #10
Re: THAT track p
ISF

I'm not sure exactly how the racing could have been made significantly better. Beautiful weather, a great field of cars, all kinds of action in the heats and B main, no damned support classes and a dominant performance up front in the A main with plenty of action throughout the field of cars.

We've been to a lot of races at THAT and this one was a long way from a bad one. No support classes and the B main made the 6 hour round trip and the price of admission worth it all by themselves!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > THAT track prep