IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
8/12/08, 3:15 PM   #241
Re: UNION COUNTY - Midget Week
D.O.

Boys and Girls this horse is DEAD !

Tony is a event promoter, he doesn't just have a race. He reaches out at each event and trys to bring new fans to the show. Racing need event promoters like him. He tryed to make things right after USAC looked at the track and he gave a list to the owner.

USAC took the blame without pointing fingers. If you heard what USAC had to say they are going to make sure this doesn't happen again. MCS isn't a regular USAC track.

Tony stuck it out and paid the full purse for those who choose to stay and race and refunded fans money.

SO get off the horse it's on it's way to the glue factory.

The one thing I see wrong with the whole deal is why wasn't the promoter brought into the USAC meeting with the teams at the track. He was out fixing the problems only to find out afterwards that the plug was pulled.
USAC is addressing that and other stuff so it doesn't happen again.

You all can pound away on this thread but the horse is now a bottle of Elmer's Glue !

:dologob:

8/12/08, 3:21 PM   #242
Let'sGoRacin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrottleHead View Post
AH yes!! There it is!!! I remember when someone had this pic on their signature and at times thought it was a little offensive but couldn't think of a more appropriate time to break it out!

Thanks ThrottleHead!

8/12/08, 5:09 PM   #243
Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Clauson View Post
……
Tim -

I have the utmost respect for you, but as Tony has pointed out numerous times ….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Barhorst View Post
The facts are that we fixed the problems...cut off the rebar that I ordered the track owner to remove months before. After they were fixed, even more problems were dug up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
Now the real reason comes out as to why the USAC officials didn't inspect the track prior to race day. Too much traveling!!
Very poor scapegoat excuse. USAC had weeks to inspect the track. This is fact. Thus leaving Tony as the person made to bear the blame. Sadly, he’s the whipping boy in all of this, being made to suffer in their place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerrob View Post
Members of this board are well aware of your feelings toward USAC and taking them to task because you were not consulted on this matter seems like a reach.
Rob -

With all due respect, Don’s personal feelings towards USAC are an aside on this topic. Every USAC midget member in good standing, every USAC midget team owner, and every USAC midget driver, in attendance, SHOULD have been consulted with, as a membership group. This did not happen. Only a select FEW were asked to participate in said consultation. If one thinks this is the appropriate way to conduct business, one might consider to rethink their business perspectives and beliefs.

8/12/08, 5:38 PM   #244
Dano959

Look, I know that this thread is pretty much dead, but I am shocked that this point has not been mentioned (or at least I didn't see it) in the previous 240 posts:

Quote:
...Mr. Barhorst, the promoter, is not in charge of inspecting race cars, for example. He hired the United States Auto Club to deal with the racing, safety issues, track issues, etc etc. Plain and simple, the United States Auto Club did not do their job. Mr. Miller has already admitted that. It doesn't matter whether there were palm trees growing in the middle of the track surface or whatever. It's the job of USAC, hired to oversee such matters, to see that the racing plant is correct for conducting a midget racing program. USAC failed to do that prior to race day...
It seems to me that it is ALSO the promoter's job "to see that the racing plant is correct for conducting a midget racing program." It is my understanding that the track WAS in fact inspected by USAC last fall, and that a list of safety concerns was presented to the promoter to be corrected. It is also my understanding that USAC did not follow up on this list to ensure that the corrections had been made prior to the night of the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Barhorst View Post
...The facts are that we fixed the problems...cut off the rebar that I ordered the track owner to remove months before. After they were fixed, even more problems were dug up.

I was shocked that the track owner had not removed that rebar...I told him about your experience in 04...and was livid when the changes were not made...

BUT, it seems that the promoter ALSO did not follow up on this list to ensure that the corrections had been made prior to the night of the race. I find it interesting that the majority on this thread are blaming USAC, but are giving a pass to the promoter, who had the very same list of safety concerns well before this unfortunate event transpired.

I'm not trying to cause trouble, just pointing out something that jumped out at me while reading this thread. As I stated earlier, I was not there and have not spoken to anyone who was. I have no motives for or against either party.

8/12/08, 6:00 PM   #245
DonMoore10

Doesn't matter!! The promoter hired USAC to deal with those matters!! The promoter is NOT in charge of the racing and safety issues. It's real simple: Kevin Miller or one of the USAC VP's drives the 18 (maybe 20.. not sure) wheeler to Union County Speedway before the day of the race and inspects the place. DIDN'T HAPPEN.

8/12/08, 6:06 PM   #246
Mike McCormick

Quote:
Doesn't matter!! The promoter hired USAC to deal with those matters!! The promoter is NOT in charge of the racing and safety issues.
The promoter is not in charge of safety issue of his OWN track, whether he's leasing or an owner?

That's just about the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board. Considering who posted it and what the topic is does not surprise me in the least.

8/12/08, 6:15 PM   #247
DonMoore10

Doesn't matter what you think. Mr. Miller said from the beginning that USAC xxxxed up. When did you ever see a promoter inspecting race cars? NOT HIS JOB and neither are the other issues. You learn that in PROMOTING EVENTS 101.

8/12/08, 6:17 PM   #248
hacksaw

From all the different posts, it appears no one at USAC is doing anything. I was there and stayed for all. What an embarrasment for all groups. The novice fan doesn't understand what happened and probably won't come back to UCS or a USAC event.

8/12/08, 6:25 PM   #249
DonMoore10

Well Hacksaw, it takes quite a skill to drive that USAC 18 wheeler. So they are doing something. Not sure which one of the dozen or so "officials" did that. If it's anything like parking a motorhome at a campground, it probably took all of them to get it in the pit area and squared around.......

8/12/08, 6:30 PM   #250
dkdorkboy

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 52

On another note ,I just saw the 2 MSCS events scheduled at Union County this year are cancelled due to safety issues.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > UNION COUNTY - Midget Week