IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Montpelier Set to Host Midget Doubleheader Sat. Sept 13
9/9/14, 10:47 AM   #1
Montpelier Set to Host Midget Doubleheader Sat. Sept 13
BrianBSU23

Montpelier Motor Speedway Set to Host Midget Doubleheader Saturday, September 13th

Last week it was the Outlaws of the Buckeye Outlaw Sprint Series that brought down the house in a front of an absolutely packed grandstand. This week the Midgets will take their turn with a Midget Doubleheader program featuring the Montpelier Motor Speedway full Midgets and the three quarter Midgets of the MTQRL.

The MTQRL has proved to be a tremendous proving ground for open wheel racers as the previous two MTQRL Champions, Tate Martz and Nick Speidel, both stepped into full Midget rides and have both picked MMS feature wins with both series. Kokomo TQ winner, Logan Arnold, and Alex Watson have also made Montpelier starts with both series. The MMS officials will make running order adjustments to make sure that drivers (with a both a full Midget and TQ Midget) wishing to run double duty will have ample time between features.

Justin Peck (DRC/Esslinger) picked up his first career Midget dirt win on July 26 and promptly followed that up with a second score on August 30th over a 21 car field. Lynsey Ligouri (FSC/FSC Buick) is the other lone winner in the rain shortened Midget season at MMS. Former MTQRL TQ Champion and MMS Midget winner in both a TQ and Midget, Tate Martz (Beast/Esslinger), will enter the weekend as the point’s leader for the series. While Gary Gipson currently leads the chase for rookie of the year honors.

The event will feature the Montpelier’s Midget Series which features full size Midgets and power plants and allows a platform for other engines including Focus, Ecotech, and Motorcycle powered entries to compete utilizing an unlimited weight break and additional tire width. The Montpelier Motor Speedway Midget Series features an open tire brand and compound rule.

The series' schedule and competition will heat up for the remainder of the season with 3 consecutive weekends of Midget racing scheduled through early October (September 13, September 20, September 27, and October 11) heading towards the culmination of a series champion. The Leaders Edge of Indianapolis is the presenting title sponsor for the Midget series.
General Admission will be a great value for fans at only $12 with Kids (12 and Under) - FREE!

Full Series Information and Payout can be found on our website at:
www.MontpelierMotorSpeedway.com

Classes
Midgets
TQ Midgets
UMP Modifieds
Super Streets
Thunder Cars
FWD

Top 10 Points

1. 2 Tate Martz
2. 41 Alex Watson
3. 5X Justin Peck
4. 6RR Lynsey Liguori
5. 5 Gary Gipson -*R
6. 97 Jim Jones *R
7. 7K Robby Parish
8. 91 Austin Nemire -*R
9. 22 John Heydenreich
10. 43 Logan Arnold

Rookie of the Year Award Leaders
1. Gary Gipson
2. Jim Jones
3. Austin Nemire
4. Tyler Kendall

2014 Series Winners
April 26 - Lynsey Liguori
July 26 - Justin Peck
August 30 – Justin Peck

Overall Series Winners
85 Shane Hollingsworth - 4 Wins
6RR Lynsey Liguori - 2 Wins
5X Justin Peck - 2 Wins
21 Nick Speidel - 1 Win
7 Critter Malone - 1 Win
10 Brandon Matus - 1 Win
17 Michael Koontz - 1 Win
3 Darren Hagen - 1 Win
10 Billy Wease - 1 Win
52 Isaac Chapple - 1 Win
9P Parker Price-MIller - 1 Win
2 Tate Martz - 1 Win
17E Blake Edwards - 1 Win

Upcoming Midget Dates
September 13
September 20
September 27
October 11

Times
Gates Open - 3:00 PM
Hot Laps – 5:00 PM
Racing - 6:30 PM

Admission
General Admission - $12
Kids (12 and Under) – Free
Pit Pass - $25

Montpelier Motor Speedway
700 South Jefferson
Montpelier, Indiana 47359
I69 Exit 264

- If coming from I69, please note road construction and a detour on Highway 18 between Highway 5 and Highway 3. From the South, please consider accessing the speedway from either (Highway 26 to Highway 3 to Highway 18 or Highway 26 to old 303). From the north, please consider using Highway 3 to Highway 18.

Web & Media
Official Website: www.MontpelierMotorSpeedway.com
Facebook – “Home of the Montpelier Motor Speedway: www.facebook.com/MontpelierMotorSpeedway
Twitter - www.twitter.com/MontpelierTrack

2 members like this post: cwfan08, jjones752
9/11/14, 10:34 AM   #2
BrianBSU23

We will be making a slight change to the running order this weekend. We will run the Midget feature first, then the Modifieds, followed by the TQ feature. This will give the guys pulling double duty with a full Midget and a TQ Midget some time to have everything ready. It appears at this point we have at least three guys attempting the double.
Last edited by BrianBSU23; 9/11/14 at 11:21 AM.

1 member likes this post: Geoff Kaiser
9/11/14, 12:09 PM   #3
Midget18

Need to allow the top 2 or 3 out of each heat to re draw for starting position in the feature

1 member likes this post: Geoff Kaiser
9/11/14, 12:33 PM   #4
Re: Montpelier Set to Host Midget Doubleheader Sat. Sept 13
BrianBSU23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget18 View Post
Need to allow the top 2 or 3 out of each heat to re draw for starting position in the feature
With 20 car fields their should be a redraw from the heats. Let me check on that.

9/11/14, 12:47 PM   #5
Midget18

even without 20 car fields you should have a draw....If you have 2 heats have the top 3 re draw if you have 3 heats have the top 2 re draw...Makes the fast guys work harder to win.

1 member likes this post: jjones752
9/11/14, 3:22 PM   #6
BrianBSU23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget18 View Post
even without 20 car fields you should have a draw....If you have 2 heats have the top 3 re draw if you have 3 heats have the top 2 re draw...Makes the fast guys work harder to win.
Correct. Our procedural rules regardless of class is:

Redraw

Any class with more than 2 heats or more shall redraw for their starting position for the A Main event. Depending on the size of the field the top 2 or 3 finishers in each heat will be required to redraw.

I will follow up with this and see what is going on.

9/13/14, 9:38 AM   #7
DAD

Brian

How is the weather looking up there. We probably be leaving late, we got another guy off with Saturday morning fever again this morning. I sure am glad I'm so healthy.

Save us a spot Patrick?

Midget

I guess I am old school? I think if you finish first or second place in the feature event that you should be "GUARANTEED" a starting spot on the tail of your next feature race. I think that there is nothing more exciting than watching a hard charging car and driver working traffic on the way to the front. Instead of waiting until the last few laps of the race to watch them work some lapped traffic (usually the most dangerous part of racing). They will still probably finish up front but they will have given the fan's a show in the process and worked for their money.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 9/13/14 at 10:18 AM.

2 members like this post: jjracer636, Xflagman
9/13/14, 10:33 AM   #8
BrianBSU23

Warming up and the Sun is out here in Montpelier.

2 members like this post: cwfan08, DAD
9/13/14, 2:14 PM   #9
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Brian

How is the weather looking up there. We probably be leaving late, we got another guy off with Saturday morning fever again this morning. I sure am glad I'm so healthy.

Save us a spot Patrick?

Midget

I guess I am old school? I think if you finish first or second place in the feature event that you should be "GUARANTEED" a starting spot on the tail of your next feature race. I think that there is nothing more exciting than watching a hard charging car and driver working traffic on the way to the front. Instead of waiting until the last few laps of the race to watch them work some lapped traffic (usually the most dangerous part of racing). They will still probably finish up front but they will have given the fan's a show in the process and worked for their money.

Honest Dad himself
On our way from Ohio. I'll save a spot for ya.

9/14/14, 8:36 AM   #10
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Stout field last night despite the absence of a number of heavy-hitters on another well-prepared racing surface. Congrats to DAVEY Ray on a hard-fought win in the Don Moore 10. Pat Mead had a Tommy Tipover in the middle of 3 & 4 on a restart but the hard luck award (if there was one) would probably go to Shane Hollingsworth, who pulled into the work area under caution for a flat right rear, relinquishing the lead in the process.
My personal journey ended with a ninth in the Semi, struggling to find grip on a chilly, damp evening, but it was a happier ending than Clayton Gaines, who took a wild ride after finding my right rear in his way on a late-race restart. It was good to see he was stiff but OK afterwards, but watching his in-car video made MY neck hurt!
The evening started off much better for me with a 7th in my heat. That may not sound too impressive but it marked progress in my logbook, as I was able to pass a car and avoid getting lapped, both firsts for me. Somewhat ironic was that the car I passed was the same young Mr. Gaines, after a fun 3 or 4 lap battle.
Thanks again to Harold, Lori, Brian and the whole Montpelier staff for giving us an awesome place to come out and do what we love to do.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 9/14/14 at 1:31 PM. Reason: Wrong Ray. Sorry Davey.

3 members like this post: DAD, Pat O'Connor Fan, PatrickMead#13
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Montpelier Set to Host Midget Doubleheader Sat. Sept 13