IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
rcf123 (Offline)
  #1 2/11/14 11:32 PM
I borrowed a friends balancer to balance a few tires and I am wondering how much weight it typically takes to get a tire and wheel balanced? Some of these tires and wheels are taking up to 4.5oz of weight to get them balanced and I am wanted to know if this was normal. I have tried the same tires on different rims and its the same thing so the wheel are definitely not the problem. If you could provide a range of weights it would be helpful. Thanks in advance for your help.
TQ29m (Offline)
  #2 2/12/14 11:14 AM
JMHO, but if you are running dirt, I wouldn't worry about it, they will get dirt in them anyway, and be bad outa balance, mount em up! Pavement might be a different story, but I really doubt it, unles you're running Indy or some place! Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
Tony74 (Offline)
  #3 2/12/14 1:53 PM
Not sure on a min/max range of weight but you will be happy with balanced tires, especially if you are running a faster track. It is well worth the time... your teeth will thank you
darnall (Offline)
  #4 2/12/14 7:29 PM
On a hardpack dryslick track balanced rear wheels/tires help the car hook up better... minimizes tire shake and keeps em planted a bit more consistently... it takes a pretty good driver to actually feel the difference but there is a difference albeit a slight one.
diana (Offline)
  #5 2/12/14 8:12 PM
what kind of balancer did you use and how do you attach the weights
sprntr (Offline)
  #6 2/13/14 1:01 AM
Originally Posted by diana:
what kind of balancer did you use and how do you attach the weights
We used a Bubble Balancer (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4379_200514379)
when I worked on Nix's Silver Crown car.

And these weights: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...eyword=+300360

We covered the weights with duct tape for insurance.

Watch for interference between weights & brake caliper!

steiny
rcf123 (Offline)
  #7 2/13/14 6:20 PM
Sprntr thanks for the reply. How much weight did you have to add to the rear tires and wheels? I am using an HRP spin balancer but that shouldn't make any difference.
sprntr (Offline)
  #8 2/13/14 6:52 PM
Originally Posted by rcf123:
Sprntr thanks for the reply. How much weight did you have to add to the rear tires and wheels? I am using an HRP spin balancer but that shouldn't make any difference.
Sometimes 6-7 oz. Did have an American Racer 34.0/18.0-15GTW once that needed nothing, which was a surprise considering the size of that monster!

steiny
TQ29m (Offline)
  #9 2/13/14 7:06 PM
I'd say considering the size of the tire, the fact it's a bias ply, the overlap that goes with that, there could be no way to measure, I ran a left front for seemed like years, so bad out, it'd almost would roll itself to the heavy side, but, it didn't seem to bother anything, unless that shock came loose. Bob!

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
Go Fast (Offline)
  #10 2/17/14 8:43 PM
I started balancing dirt tires after shaking the drivers teeth loose at Terre Haute. Balancing made a huge difference, not only there but the car was smoother at most other tracks. Right rears took anywhere from 3oz to 6 oz. Left rears took 2-3 oz. Fronts were usually about 2 oz. The bigger the tire diameter the more weight it takes because of the increased moment of inertia.

Gary Ooley

I never had a bad day, just some more challenging than others!