IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Midwest Connection (Offline)
  #1 9/13/13 5:55 AM
Hello IOW Racing Friends,

A few years back on 13 September 1969, Baldy Baker wins supermodified feature at Lorain County Speedway, Ohio.

Many veteran open wheel and supermodified racing fans will recall the feature top ten finishers below:

1. 22 Baldy Baker
2. 75 Don Albrittain
3. 61 Lou Moll
4. B-4 Ernie Lowe
5. 38 Pete Foltz
6. 85 Les Olexson
7. 53 Joe Martincic
8. 5 Bob Hayduk
9. 57 Woody Wright
10. 28 Bob Smith

Have a good Friday 13, and see you at the races,

Rich
4 Likes: EBookerFan, johnnythunderhead, Mud Packer, Puppy
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #2 9/13/13 8:46 AM
Rich,

Were these races run under the direction of a sanctioning body or were they totally "outlaw" type events? I don't believe that ISMA was in existence then and I know for sure that MSA wasn't thought of yet either. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
davidm (Offline)
  #3 9/13/13 9:04 AM
ISMA did hold it's first race until 1974.
unclebuck (Offline)
  #4 9/13/13 10:06 AM
I don't belive there was any sanctioning body other than some tracks had clubs. These guys raced weekly at Lorain County weekly also. For a short time they raced at the paved track called Greater Pittsburgh in Clinton, outside of Pittsburgh. Remember Jinx Allbrittion and Ernie Lowe. The were televised weekly on Channel 11 in Pittsburgh.

Remember the 70's and the "Ohio State 500". guys from Texas like John McLaren in a rear engine, #13, green car. Saw Page Reynolds and one of the Otts family. They had enclosed trailers, somewhat of a rarity in the day.
johnnythunderhead (Offline)
  #5 9/13/13 2:52 PM
remember baldy baker et al quite well
Midwest Connection (Offline)
  #6 9/14/13 7:43 AM
Mud Packer,

I would have to research further, but back in the 60's it was pretty much non sanctioned supermodified races to my knowledge. I say this because I am from Oswego, and the supermodified races there were open to anyone. I say open to anyone, because when they first started there back in the 60's many of the guys were still racing a modified (1930 to 1940 modified cars). But, it didn't take before it became all open wheel. Many of the cars that raced in the Oswego Classic for supermodifieds were from Ohio, and also raced at Lorain County Speedway, Ohio.

One quick comment: at Oswego Speedway two Michigan drivers came to the 1961 Oswego Classic with their supermodifieds, which ushered in the supermodified era there. The two drivers were Gordon Johncock who went on to USAC and is a two time Indy 500 winner. Art Bennett went on to win the 1961 supermodified Oswego Classic.

Have a good day...see you at the races,

Rich