IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Let's Talk About Jacksonville Speedway This Friday Night
9/11/13, 9:28 PM   #1
Let's Talk About Jacksonville Speedway This Friday Night
kdobson

Let's sit down and think about this...

Only 2-1/2 hours West of the Indiana state line, 4 lane highway, beautiful corn and soybean scenery all the way, forecast of 71 degrees and sunny.

Lucas Oil POWRi midgets with names like Darland, Abreu, Chris Bell, Felker, Daum and many more getting thrown around on twitter saying they will be here...

MOWA 410 winged sprint cars, with the great MOWA regulars, a few travelers and one or more of the above mentioned names maybe putting a wing on too..

Then we hear that we have to deal with this darn Clauson guy that's wanting to buy one pit pass to maybe race three classes of cars and I'm thinking.... he's just going to put the hammer down, turn left and try to walk out of here with all of our money.

So what's a promoter to do? I know what I'm doing... I'm calling in some extra help, grabbing a tenderloin, popping a cold one and grabbing a seat in the grandstand for this show.

I just wish another fella named Clauson who drives a motor home with California plates and smokes brown cigarettes was going to be here to sit down and watch it with me.

Come on over to Jacksonville Friday night. It's not that darn far. Plenty of camping and plenty of cold beverages in the walk-in. It's going to be a stomp and steer, rim riding, driving off the wall kind of night! See you here!

P.S... you can do it all over again Saturday night up the road at Spoon River Speedway. But find somewhere to stop and buy some more breath along the way because you will have run out of it Friday night.
Last edited by kdobson; 9/11/13 at 9:46 PM.

9/12/13, 12:25 AM   #2
Re: Let's Talk About Jacksonville Speedway This Friday Night
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Wouldn't miss it. Should be a great show!

1 member likes this post: KENDALLRACING
9/12/13, 6:00 AM   #3
Andrew S. Quinn

Zach Daum going for 4th straight victory in POWRi National Midgets at Jacksonville

Zach Daum will be going for a single-season record-tying fourth straight victory Friday in the POWRi Lucas Oil National Midget Series in the Herb Barlow Memorial at Jacksonville (Ill.) Speedway. The quarter-mile track has been far from his favorite this season.

The POWRi Midget championship leader finished a season-worst 16th in the opener on April 26 and second-worst 15th on June 6. It was part of a slow start, three top-fives in the initial eight features, for the 22-year-old from Pocahontas, Ill., but has charged in his Toyota-powered Eagle to the top of the points with four wins, four runner-ups and 11 top-fives in the past 15 events.

Daum leads Andrew Felker, the 2012 POWRi National Midget champion, by 240 points, 3,500-3,260, with eight events remaining. Following Jacksonville, the series races Saturday at Spoon River Speedway in Canton, Ill., in the Tom Knowles Memorial.

"We've been horrible at Jacksonville this year, but we've really got things rolling now, everything is clicking," Daum said. "I feel like I'm driving a lot smarter, not putting myself in the position to crash. I think winning four in a row would be cool, definitely. It would be something to hang our hat on and be proud of doing.

"I didn't think about winning four features before this season started and we've got a chance at four straight. I hope we can do it."

Daum would become the second driver to win four in a row in a single season, joining three-time POWRi National Midget champion Brad Loyet, who did it in 2008. New Zealand and Australian national Midget champion Michael Pickens holds the record for consecutive starts with five, two in 2011 and 2012 and one this season..

Felker finished second in the first stop and ninth in the second at Jacksonville. The 20-year-old from Carl Junction, Mo., went through a difficult period of failing to start three features in five events because of mechanical problems on the grid, but has been rebuilding momentum with six straight top-eights including a second to Daum at Angell Park Speedway in Sun Prairie, Wis., on Aug. 31.

"We have a little more than a one event lead in the points," Daum said. "We have to keep doing what we've been doing. I'm not going to feel good about the championship until the end of the year. It's racing and anything can happen. We need to run every lap like it's the last lap.

"Andrew is a friend and I like racing with him. He's a guy you can trust not to crash you. I hope he can keep it going in the direction he's been going and we can race for the championship all the way to the end. That's the way it should be."

The POWRi Speedway Motors 600cc Outlaw Micro Series races its 14th event at Jacksonville. Fifteen-year-old Cale Thomas of Fairland, Ind., has 140-point lead (2,140-2000) over Nathan Benson of Concordia, Mo., with five events remaining. Jeremy Camp of Blue Mound, Ill., the 2010 POWRi Micro champion, is third with 1,725.

Thomas has four wins this season and Benson three. At Jacksonville, Benson was third and Thomas fourth on June 6 and Benson was 20th and Thomas 21st on April 26. Joe B. Miller of Millersville, Mo., the 2012 POWRi Micro champion who is running a partial season, also has three wins this season.

POWRi Lucas Oil National Midget Series top-10 points standings (after 23 of 31 events): 1. Zach Daum 3,500, 2. Andrew Felker 3,260, 3. Brad Kuhn 2,270, 4. Jake Blackhurst 2,265, 5. Tyler Thomas 2,135, 6. Austin Brown 1,965; 7. Parker Price-Miller 1,865, 8. Garrett Aitken 1,590; 9. Terry Babb 1,065, 10. Chett Gehrke 1,040.

POWRi Lucas Oil National Midget Series feature winners: Jacksonville, Ill.-Shane Cockrum; Belleville, Ill.-Chris Bell; Macon, Ill.-Brady Bacon; Sun Prairie, Wis.-Michael Pickens; Jacksonville, Ill.-Kyle Larson; Lincoln, Ill.-Michael Pickens; Macon, Ill.-Andrew Felker; Sun Prairie, Wis.-Rico Abreu; Bloomington, Ind.-Zach Daum; Belleville, Ill.-Darren Hagen; Belleville, Ill.-Bryan Clauson; Wilmot, Wis.-Brad Kuhn; Sun Prairie, Wis.-Darren Hagen; Pontoon Beach Ill.-Terry Babb; Cameron, Mo.-Austin Brown; Grain Valley, Mo.-Zach Daum; Belleville, Ill.-Bryan Clauson; Lincoln, Ill.-Rico Abreu; Macon, Ill.-Chris Bell; Sun Prairie, Wis.-Bryan Clauson; Wayne City, Ill.-Zach Daum; Sun Prairie, Wis.-Zach Daum; Sun Prairie, Wis.-Zach Daum.

POWRi Speedway Motors 600cc Outlaw Micro Series top-10 points standings (after 13 of 18 events): 1. Cale Thomas 2,140, 2. Nathan Benson 2,000, 3. Jeremy Camp 1,725, 4. Joe B. Miller 1,550, 5. Aaron Andruskevitch 1,455, 6. Jake Neuman 1,425, 7. Jason Harms 1,220, 8. Dereck King 1,055, 9. Max Pozsgai 1,035, 10. Kyle Schuett 985.

POWRi Speedway Motors 600cc Outlaw Micro Series feature winners: Jacksonville, Ill.-Dereck King; Belleville, Ill.-Joe B. Miller; Macon, Ill.-Dereck King; Jacksonville, Ill.-Mike Dicely; Lincoln, Ill.-Nathan Benson; Macon, Ill.-Cale Thomas; Bloomington, Ind.-Nathan Benson; Belleville, Ill.-Joe B. Miller; Belleville, Ill.-Cale Thomas; Belleville, Ill.-Cale Thomas; Belleville, Ill.-Nathan Benson; Lincoln, Ill.-Joe B. Miller; Macon, Ill.-Cale Thomas.

POWRi Racing Sponsors

Auto Meter - "The Official Instrumentation" of POWRi Racing

Afco - "The Official Shock" of POWRi Racing

Ford - "The Official EcoBoost Challenge" of POWRi Racing

Hoosier Tire - "The Official Race Tire" of POWRi Racing

Impact Racing - "The Official Motorsports Safety Equipment" of POWRi Racing

Lucas Oil Products - "The Official Oil" of POWRi Racing

Speedway Motors - "The Official Performance Parts Store" of POWRi Racing

Team POWRi Racing

Advanced Racing Suspensions, Aggressive Graphics, Bell Helmets, BT Machine Inc., Butler Built Seats, Competition Suspension Inc., Edward Jones, Engler Machine & Tool Inc., Esslinger Engineering, Factor 1 Racing, Fontana Automotive, Hyper Racing, Kitchen Cooked, Leading Edge Composites, Millennium Components, MPD Racing, MoMo's Racing Engines, OSR Bikes & Motors, Purpose Wreckers, Race Bumpers.com, Racers for Christ, Rod End Supply, Schoenfeld Headers, Spike Chassis, Stanton Race Engines, SuperShox, The Engine Heater, Ti64, Total Power, TOYOTA, 600 Scene.com

For more information, go to www.POWRi.com.

9/12/13, 6:01 AM   #4
Andrew S. Quinn

If work doesnt get in the way,I am hoping to make it over as well.

2 members like this post: billwill7, dirtnonwingfan
9/12/13, 6:02 AM   #5
mr nobody
Banned

It would be really nice to see Darland and Clauson at both of these tracks this weekend. This is definitely the can't miss weekend for racing. Got my rooms booked and half a day of work tomorrow. It's about time for some really good racing.

Side note: Mr. Dobson, I thank you for taking over Quincy Raceway. I know you will do a great job there. Can't wait to see what you have in the works for 2014 at Quincy as your Jacksonville plans are already turning heads.

9/12/13, 8:40 AM   #6
El1teBr33ze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr nobody View Post
It would be really nice to see Darland and Clauson at both of these tracks this weekend.
As much as I wish this as well, you definitely won't be seeing Darland and Clauson at Spoon with Sprints running at Haubstadt Saturday night.

9/12/13, 9:47 AM   #7
kdobson

Heck, I totally forgot about 2 Fike cars with Darren Hagen and Hunter Schuerenberg.

Which brings up another thing I want to mention and I hope I'm not speaking out of school. Mr Fike owns group homes in Jacksonville for persons with serious mental and physical disabilities. Over the past few midget shows at the request of Don and his staff, we have started having the residents at the race track to cheer on the Black number 3's. Tomorrow we will host over 40 residents. If you get a chance Friday night, pay close attention to how Don and the staff of the facilities truly care about these folks and genuinely are motivated to provide great life experiences for them. Last time after the races Don requested that many of them come to the pits and meet Darren, see the car etc. To watch Darren get pictures taken, sign autographs and make every effort to make them feel special spoke volumes as to the fact that these special individuals are far more than just tenants. And all of this happened without the desire to have any attention called to it. The residents had the time off their lives. We were beyond impressed with the whole RFMS team and how the racing operation can be used as a great tool for the benefit for some very special individuals. If you get a chance Friday night, go out of your way to make these special guests of the race track feel welcome. And thank Don and his staff for going above and beyond the call of duty in showing true care and compassion for them.
Last edited by kdobson; 9/12/13 at 10:15 AM.

9/12/13, 10:28 AM   #8
racing2bwithu2

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 63

Gail an I are planning our 1st trip to the track. Plan on leaving early an hopefully make a day of it. By chance are there any registered covered bridges in the area? We enjoy them as well. Speaking of Don Fike, he also has a group home in Danville,Ill. which I worked at as a maintman. great racing team to get to know. Hope to meet some IOW folks while were there. Lloyd & Gail

1 member likes this post: racegal
9/12/13, 1:01 PM   #9
SDHill89

I'll be heading there after work, hopefully in time to see most of the heats. I might get suddenly too sick to work and leave an hour early. I guess I'll have to do my part to help the track make money and drink a few beers too.

9/12/13, 4:38 PM   #10
SpfldMile

There's a covered bridge in Glenarm, a little south of Springfield.

1 member likes this post: racing2bwithu2
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Let's Talk About Jacksonville Speedway This Friday Night