IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Racing t-shirt technology?
6/18/13, 7:34 AM   #1
Racing t-shirt technology?
hoosierhillbilly

I purchased a danny smith tshirt saturday as tss. I bought it because sales were going towards lefflers son.

Upon receiving the shirt, i remembered why i dont buy shirts much anymore. It seems like over the years, they have gone to the heavy platic or vinyl transfers or designs on the shirts. My biggest complaint is that those shirts are hot. When i am at the races on a warm muggy july night, i dont want a layer of print trapping in the heat. They also tend to smell pretty bad too.

I will frankly say that i miss the older style shirts. I would assme that those screen printed.. The look good as they fade.

My problem extends beyond racing shirts. I basically dont buy these types of shirts period.

I was wondering if others feel this way. Do you prefer the new shirts or the old? Does this affect your purchasing? Was cost the reason for the shift to the newer style?

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: jerrydt, smith19
6/18/13, 8:09 AM   #2
Re: Racing t-shirt technology?
illinisprintfan

I prefer the older style screened shirts as well. While we are at it, I wish the designs on shirts would go back to a big picture of the car and driver name on front, with a large car number, driver name and sponsers on the back. On some of the shirts these days, from the front you can barely tell it is a racing shirt, much less who it is.

1 member likes this post: darnall
6/18/13, 8:13 AM   #3
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

I think the newer shirts are still screen printed, but with the trend towards dark shirts there's an additional under-layer of white, and the graphics are generally much larger and more complicated, with more colors than the older styles, which also adds layers. I'm with you, I don't like 'em; they're stiff and they don't breathe at all on a hot day. If somone could come up with a process that could print the modern graphics but were more lightweight and breathable (like "perforating" the design) they'd be onto something...

6/18/13, 8:24 AM   #4
PAW

The old ones were much better,cooler,and you could read them.

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: jerrydt, Wayne Davis
6/18/13, 11:29 AM   #5
nitrofunny

Damn you sound like Frank! Just kiddin' bro! I agree!!

6/18/13, 12:49 PM   #6
darnall

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinisprintfan View Post
I prefer the older style screened shirts as well. While we are at it, I wish the designs on shirts would go back to a big picture of the car and driver name on front, with a large car number, driver name and sponsers on the back. On some of the shirts these days, from the front you can barely tell it is a racing shirt, much less who it is.
That is exactly the same thing I have been gripin about for the last several years....the back should have all the sponsors/thank yous in one or 2 colors...the front should have the huge loud 5 color big pic of the car

6/18/13, 1:11 PM   #7
illinisprintfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnall View Post
That is exactly the same thing I have been gripin about for the last several years....the back should have all the sponsors/thank yous in one or 2 colors...the front should have the huge loud 5 color big pic of the car
My all time favorite shirt I owned was a Lealand McSpadden shirt from when he ran the Reid's Diesel Service 6R at Baylands in California in the mid/late 80s. The back of the shirt had a HUGE 6R on the back with sponsor information and I think a tornado on it. I know the front had "the Tempe Tornado" with a picture of a tornado printed below the picture of the car. I loved that shirt!

6/18/13, 1:37 PM   #8
ThePurple73

I remember the first racing shirt I had was given to me by Jan Opperman. Seems back then shirts never wore out.
Every year at the Nationals Carrera had shirts for that specific year, different colors for different years.
Seems there was a Shirt maker in Phoenix that was popular, seems we went to the shop when at the Western World years ago.
One of my all time favorites had to be a dark blue ASCOT shirt.

1 member likes this post: dirtshirt
6/19/13, 1:05 AM   #9
dirtshirt

The Tee shirt shop you mention in Phoenix was Arizona Sport Shirts . Karl moved his operation to Indy in 1988.
The reason shirts are printed heavier is the printing ink used during 80s and early 90 had some health issue for the people printing .Yes shirts need to have Drivers Names in bold letters on from .Large Car Numbers on back with sponsors names.
You have seen me across Midwest selling GOT DIRT ? Theses shirts are done on the same printer station that McSpadden shirts were printed.See y'll at the races !!!

6/19/13, 1:43 AM   #10
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Screen Printed, Ol Skool
http://www.goodsleeveaa.bigcartel.com/

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Racing t-shirt technology?