IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Wish there was away
1/18/13, 12:36 PM   #1
Wish there was away
racing2bwithu2

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 63

The thing that crossed my mind is just my thought an JMO. At Gas City I applaud them for allowing us fans to go inside the pits before racing starts. Yes it may cost a dollar a person, an you get a 50/50 ticket. And you have to get out when they call for Drivers Meeting. What better way to give fans a chance to see the cars an drivers up close. Even some drivers let fans get in the car an have pics taken. I wish all local tracks could come up with a way of doing that. I know some tracks may not sell 50/50 tickets. I understand some facts they can't do it may be due to Insurance reasons, or not enough help , or just dishonest fans who would try to stay in. Say for example, if tracks could do it. Charge a dollar a person, an at the end of the year tracks could split the money into there track points fund . Myself every time I visit a track I would go in the pits. I know a few tracks may be a little of a walk to get to the pits. Im not a photographer but I do enjoy taking pics of cars an drivers. An even enjoy getting to know them. I appreciate the work photographers do. Lots of their work shows on Picture of the day. Even though I do post a few myself, just to share. If ya have any good or bad comments to share , please feel free to do so. One side note; I wish all T-Shirts were made in the USA. Lloyd

1/18/13, 3:28 PM   #2
Re: Wish there was away
Great Scott

Race Count This Year: 48

I agree. We like to go to the pits just for a little while before racing starts to talk to a few people. Sam really likes to go talk to some of his racing friends. It does get expensive to get my 10 year old in the pits for a few minutes at most of the tracks. It would be great if more tracks could do something similar. We have no problem getting back out before the driver's meeting. We don't need to be in the pits when racing starts.

3 members like this post: nathans1012, Obie, racing2bwithu2
1/18/13, 3:46 PM   #3
CALandSurveyor8759

They've dabbled with the idea at Perris, but with no consistency. At an AMA Grand National race at Calistoga they opened the pits up for an hour or so before heat races and indicated that was normal operating procedure for that series. I was pretty impressed with the amount of fan appreciation that was displayed that day. It made it real easy to leave a lasting impression on a young race fan.

2 members like this post: nathans1012, racing2bwithu2
1/19/13, 6:33 AM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I absolutely love that Gas City does this. There is nothing more that keeps people coming back or going regularly than actually meeting the participants and crews.

Instead of that fan saying go White 16 Sh**Box. They yell and cheer and look for, Billy Puterbaugh.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Chuck
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 1/19/13 at 6:37 AM.

5 members like this post: addictedtodirt, PAW, racing2bwithu2, TheMick, tim brown
1/19/13, 9:57 AM   #5
4wheelsinthekoosh

Wow thanks Charles. Always welcome to come by the pit grab a drink although it maybe a soft one and bend my ear.

Ps. Having sticks made that say "The Ole White Sh1tbox"

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by 4wheelsinthekoosh; 1/19/13 at 9:59 AM.

1/19/13, 12:31 PM   #6
racing2bwithu2

Race Count This Year: 37

Yes that was my main point getting new young fans to the tracks. I took 2 of my grand kids last year, 15 an 17 an my grand daughter was ready to go back. She had a great time in the pits getting to have her pic taken with some drivers as well as autographs. I think it would be great if more tracks could open the pits b4 racing. Seems like most fans leave at the end of the sprint feature. An in some cases the drivers are gone after their feature. Myself we stay for the whole show no matter what track we go to. I look forward to going to Gas City to get new pics of the drivers an cars. I try to respect all drivers since they come an put a show on for us fans. Also a big Thank You to you all who do take time with the fans. I also look forward to seeing old friends an hope to meet more of you fans as well.

P.S. Billy my girl friend still talks about the 1st time she met you in the stands at Gas City. It was her 1st year around racing an you called her a rookie fan...lol..Myself I have been around it for 50 years.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
1/19/13, 2:16 PM   #7
4wheelsinthekoosh

First year is everyones rookie year right?

Posted via Mobile Device

1/19/13, 3:14 PM   #8
coondog

Western Springs in NZ has an open pit area. I think the only track there to do so. Cars are not allowed to drive through the pit area as it's pretty narrow. There are a lot of people that walk through the pits, and it gets crowded, but it's great for the fans. It would be hard to do at a lot of tracks here with cars under their own power in the pits. But I too wish more tracks would open up to the fans before the race. Angell Park has always done that and never have a problem getting people out. Times like sprint week where the teams need to get out of the track and there is another race that could take 30 to 45 minutes to run, is not good for the sport. The fans need to have more opportunity to meet the drivers, crew and see the cars.

Posted via Mobile Device

1/19/13, 4:28 PM   #9
cshuman

And sell t-shirts ; )

Posted via Mobile Device

6 members like this post: Charles Nungester, cmakin, CRA91, Obie, PAW, racing2bwithu2
1/19/13, 5:03 PM   #10
kdobson

We have spent a lot of time at Jacksonville Speedway discussing how to get fans in the pits in order to get more immersed in what goes on at the track.

This week we hired a Director of Fan Experience. (See story at www.jacksonvillespeedway.com) It's not a title we just gave to the trophy girl.. its a serious position we are investing in with the sole purpose of making sure we have an entertainment product that appeals to a broad spectrum and attempt to build some casual fans besides our hard core race fans that are there every week.

One thing we plan to have her do is find ways early in the night to upgrade a number of fans to a free pit pass. It could be selecting 20 people through a contest...it could be when she sees a parent and child that look like they'd enjoy it, or it could be where we have drivers come to stands and we pair them up to be drivers guest in the pits the rest of the night.

Regardless, once a fan has paid his grandstand admission, he wasn't buying a pit pass anyway. The upgrade doesn't cost us a dime. But they will appreciate the upgrade and will get a better experience from the night.

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by kdobson; 1/19/13 at 5:05 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Wish there was away