IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
ScottLimbert (Offline)
  #1 6/8/08 12:30 AM
Well gang here it is tony announced tonight that eldora will hold the Earl Baltes classic the week before the World 100. It will pay 3000 to win unfortunatly it will be a late model show. The good news is that there will be 50,000 $ in prizes given away each year during the race and he also unveiled a bronze statue of Earl and Bernice that will stand outside the main entrance to the speedway. Congrats to Smoke for a Classy gesture to the King and Queen of dirt :applaud:
Chris Nunn (Offline)
  #2 6/8/08 1:13 AM
lol nothing unfortunate there. Tony knows the LM pack the stands. Especially the Sunday before the World. How many posts on here were talking about the lack of butts in the stands during the Sprint races, like Kevin Besecker told his crew last night "what in the hell are we doing racing Sprint Cars?"

Im sure Tony will do something for the Sprints, I dont think he will leave them hanging
speedy1
  #3 6/8/08 12:33 PM
Well trust me nunn lamemodels dont pack the stands bc of there racing, thats the bad thing about this day and age, your shows can suck like the WoO, latmodels, napcar and for some reason they still go watch?
hoosier race fan (Offline)
  #4 6/8/08 12:55 PM
If you look at it from a promotors standpoint, late models make sense for this event. The World 100 is the next weekend and they will already have tons of late model fans camping there. They can pay $3000 to win and draw over 50 late models with no problem. This race (prior to this year it was the Johnny Appleseed Classic) often serves as a tune up for the World 100 the following week, so over 75 cars isn't out of the question either. Put up $3000, or pay even more for a USAC show, and draw maybe 35-40 sprints. More cars = more people paying to get in the gate. Why pay more money to draw less cars and less people? Plus you'll have more people in the stands for a late model show at Eldora. I'm sure it's not good to say here, but honestly, non-wing sprint car fans are a relatively small minority of the racing community. That doesn't mean sprints don't put on a great show or can't draw a crowd, but if they want to make the most money, the late models are the way to go.