IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
micahman (Offline)
  #1 6/22/12 5:16 PM
I've been following sprint/midget racing for several years, and have attended several USAC and MSCS events. I have such a passion for sprint car racing as I'm sure most of you do! I guess my question is, how do I get behind the seat and race? I've been to several open-wheel schools (Skip Barber etc.) and have been karting for years. My real background is in motorcycle road racing, which I did for several years. I'm just wanting to race 6-10 local shows a year and have some fun and be apart of the sport. Where do I start? I don't have any friends who are into the sport, so I really don't have a clue about setting up a sprinter, or anything like that. Are local racers willing to help you out with that sort of thing or are you on your own? I could sit here and ask a million questions, but hopefully some of ya'll can help fill in the blanks! God bless and thks!
rclaridge (Offline)
  #2 6/22/12 5:47 PM
I would suggest trying to find a team that needs some pit and/or shop help to get your foot in the door and start learning as much as you can.unless you have some $$$ or you're one hell of a smooth talker it's going to pretty hard to get any seat time.
backitin
  #3 6/22/12 5:53 PM
Micro Sprint racing could be a good place to start. 600's are fun. Or if you prefer you might want to consider buiying a minisprint. 1000cc's and uprite like a midget or sprintcar. Alot of times if you buy a car from someone you can get they're track notes or at least ask about gearing and blocking specifics for a few tracks. Even if that wasnt possible setting up a sprintcar for basic handling isnt the hardest thing to do. Go to the pits after a race or better yet get a pit pass and mingle around some. Ask questions, most guys will be willing to talk, especially if you start the conversation by complimenting they're car. Dont buy anything you dont love, even to save a couple bucks or you'll be unhappy with it shortly. Personally I think the minisprint is the perfect starter car, real uprite car and fast enuff to scare yourself now and then. Guys spend a fortune, but you can be surprized how you can race without spending a fortune on equipment. Bars, shocks and stuff arnt always as important as you might think. Some of the fastest guy's I know if you ask them what shocks they're running ? they say the ones that dont leak, what you running for bar's?, they answer four of the straightest ones I could find. Your other obtion is to buy a car, fly me out and we'll set her up, get you a notebook started and have you sliding the correct direction, no problem. There are also a couple great books about sprintcar setup. If your roadracing bikes you have a advantage already, you can feel the machine reacting before it actually moves. Get a car and get Please, no wings.
micahman (Offline)
  #4 6/26/12 2:28 AM
Hey guys, thks for the advice! Hopefully I'll be able to piece something together for next year. God bless and thks again.
wideopen24 (Offline)
  #5 6/26/12 2:31 AM
Where are you from?
cmiracingvids (Offline)
  #6 6/26/12 2:56 AM
Steve Smith Autosports makes an excellent book on basic sprint car handling. Search for it on amazon.com. Its extremely helpful and very easy to understand. I also agree with the other guy, get yourself in the pits one or two nights, and get around a car. Offer to lend a hand with basic stuff if they need it, and they'll more than likely give you some advice and information. But I'd start with a book. Good luck! Once you start sprint car racing...you won't stop. I promise that.

Posted via Mobile Device
2 Likes: Dalton Dietrich, micahman
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #7 6/26/12 7:25 AM
Did you hit the Lottery?
backitin
  #8 6/26/12 7:55 AM
Originally Posted by cmiracingvids:
Steve Smith Autosports makes an excellent book on basic sprint car handling. Search for it on amazon.com. Its extremely helpful and very easy to understand. I also agree with the other guy, get yourself in the pits one or two nights, and get around a car. Offer to lend a hand with basic stuff if they need it, and they'll more than likely give you some advice and information. But I'd start with a book. Good luck! Once you start sprint car racing...you won't stop. I promise that.

Posted via Mobile Device
I have the original printing of that book, it's great. You wont stop till you run out of money, keep that in mind when you choose what to race.
micahman (Offline)
  #9 6/27/12 1:35 AM
I'm actually from Nashville, TN. I drive up to Tri State Speedway just about every weekend to watch the races. Got a pit pass for the Haubstadt 100 a couple of weeks ago. Got to talk to some of the guys and they were pretty cool. Heading up there again this weekend for the MSCS sprints. I'll definately take a look at that book and do some reading. I think I've seen it posted on Amazon before. Haha, I definately havent won the lottery, but I'm familiar with the costs. A good friend of mine races late models at highland rim and advised me of his financial "hardships" haha. Just love the sport and want to run a handful of races a year...even if I am a backmarker! Its unfortunate that Tennessee doesnt have much of a sprint following, all you have out here is late model stuff. Clarksville speedway runs mini sprints, but not the big boys. Anyway, again I appreciate all of the responses.
Daddyo (Offline)
  #10 6/27/12 5:38 AM
Riverside in West Memphis has weekly sprint show. Wings but when in Tennessee beggers can't be choosers. USAC there September 8.