IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver crown format changes
5/16/12, 11:01 AM   #1
Silver crown format changes
ThrowbackRacingTeam

For the dirt miles.......

1. They will now run 100 laps straight through, without the pit stop.

2. All restarts will be double file with leader on the pole.

3. The top 6 in time trials will re-draw for line-up.

4. All cars will only be given 1 time trial lap.

USAC obviously had to make some concessions to get the 100 straight laps back, some of which I like, some I don't. I like #2 because that is how all the big time racing does it now and it provides more excitement for the fans and gives cars further back a better chance to move up. Not sure what to think about #3 although I understand their reasoning for it. #4 is where they lose me. I thought time trials were really exciting last year given the cushions they had to run on, so why would Sargent want to eliminate half of that. Especially since time trials are a major portion of the show with the lack of heat races. Hopefully it is to allow more time for track prep to maintain a cushion!!!! One can hope right? Hope to see everyone get back out to these traditional races. What's your thoughts?

5/16/12, 11:27 AM   #2
Re: Silver crown format changes
sportster1

I don't like #4 at all the restarts should be good though

5/16/12, 12:04 PM   #3
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post

USAC obviously had to make some concessions to get the 100 straight laps back, some of which I like, some I don't. I like #2 because that is how all the big time racing does it now and it provides more excitement for the fans and gives cars further back a better chance to move up. Not sure what to think about #3 although I understand their reasoning for it. #4 is where they lose me. I thought time trials were really exciting last year given the cushions they had to run on, so why would Sargent want to eliminate half of that. Especially since time trials are a major portion of the show with the lack of heat races. Hopefully it is to allow more time for track prep to maintain a cushion!!!! One can hope right? Hope to see everyone get back out to these traditional races. What's your thoughts?
#4 speeds up the show? I see it as OK, makes the drivers stay on their game, no second chances.

It's all good to me.

1 member likes this post: Shawn Harper
5/16/12, 3:40 PM   #4
dirtball

I don't mind any of it. However I did think that the 50 lap pause was O.K. Gave everyone a break too make changes. Sure would like to see them up here at the Mke Mile.

1 member likes this post: Seadog
5/16/12, 4:28 PM   #5
Jonr

People have compared watching time trials to watching paint dry. To those people, watching time trials of silver crown cars on mile tracks would be like watching concrete dry.

5/16/12, 4:43 PM   #6
EBookerFan

As a tradionalist, I would like the format to be the same in 2012 as it was in 1953, 1963, 1973, 1983, 1993, 2003. Having said that, to me the most important change is #1 where the driver needs to go fast but still save his tires for the 100th lap. Does this mean that they no longer do group qualifications?

5/16/12, 4:46 PM   #7
backitin

I love time trials, its nice to listen to each car by itself. I also like redrawing.

2 members like this post: dirtball
5/16/12, 4:56 PM   #8
sprntr

Quote:

Speaking as a Crew Member, I prefer 2 lap individual qualifying, but single lap is preferable to group qualifying.

As to "FANS" who think qualifying islike watching paint dry, come to the track after qualifying. Especially at DuQuoin & Springfield where you can go gorge yourself on Fair Food!

steiny

5/16/12, 4:56 PM   #9
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:

1) It seems no one liked the 51/49 format so this should make the masses happy.

2) Double file restarts are becoming the "in" thing in racing right now. If it makes for a better show, I have no problem.

3)Again, this is what alot of regular shows are going to. Mixes up the top dogs from qualifying so it certainly isn't deal breaker for me by any means.

4) In my opinion, this beat the heck out of group qualifying. I was never a fan of that. This will mean that drivers will need to get their line down in practice since they won't have a "cushion" (aka back up lap) to get them through. I would suspect this will hurt the newcomers more since the veterans have many laps on these race tracks.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

5/16/12, 6:07 PM   #10
addictedtodirt

I like it all. Looking forward to going to the State Fair grounds in 9 days!

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: speed bump
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Silver crown format changes