IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chevy Volt
5/6/12, 3:24 PM   #1
Chevy Volt
Bad Dad 54

While back there were some post about the Chevy Volt and an article in our locak paper tells a different story. A local person I know who is a number cruncher say's his Volt averages 120 MPG. When he charges the battery his cost figures were $15 to $20. Drving only on gas he gets 45mpg. Said he would recomend the car to anyone. Sure the other Hybrids are cheaper but the Volts mpg is higher by 15mpg. Plus the Fed's are giving a tax break for the Volt of $7500. The catching fire problem due to not following directions in case of an accident. If I was in the market for a new car I'd certainly look at this option. But more than likely I'd buy another Impala. Love the one we have now. Just sharing info

2 members like this post: PIT CART, Revolution Racing
5/6/12, 3:52 PM   #2
Re: Chevy Volt
Tony Barhorst

I like the way the car looks...The tax break and plans for the car were presented in 2007. The fire deal has been blown way out of proportion by those that hate the idea...I mean like a gas powered car CAN'T catch fire...or hasn't?....

The car isn't for everyone...right now the car goes 40 miles on the battery..about what it takes for a daily work commute..

The car if used on electric runs on American coal generated electric...
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 5/6/12 at 6:15 PM.

2 members like this post: apexonephoto, PIT CART
5/6/12, 4:02 PM   #3
Bill Gardner
Administrator

This topic has a tendency to turn into something political.

I'm personally sick and tired of seeing anything politically related so just use this as a friendly reminder about not posting political related opinions.

Thanks.

Posted via Mobile Device

5/6/12, 4:13 PM   #4
Tony Barhorst

I look forward to seeing the USAC electric midget in action down the road somewhere...The car is not a threat to traditional racing...but it will be interesting to see it progress.

1 member likes this post: DAD
5/6/12, 4:22 PM   #5
TQ29m

I sure hope this doesn't come out political, but I found it interesting last week, when Ford used their electric, as a pace car, with all those extra lights, I'm sure it was maxed out, but I also didn't know what the pace speed was, but, surprisingly it made it thru the night, which honestly, was quite surprising, I don't think an electric is for me, but there appears to be a market for them, it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out, there's a lot of fossil fuel could be bought, for the payments on one. Bob!

5/6/12, 5:16 PM   #6
I Miss Manzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gardner View Post
This topic has a tendency to turn into something political.

I'm personally sick and tired of seeing anything politically related so just use this as a friendly reminder about not posting political related opinions.

Thanks.

Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you,Bill!!

2 members like this post: big3131, speed bump
5/6/12, 6:49 PM   #7
gary curry

I'm not particularily interested in an electric car, (my Mystique still gets 'tween 32 and 35 mpg) but I would be interested in a pick up that would be capable of pulling my 28 ft 5th wheel about 400 miles a day on one charge. Right now I have a big old V10, (which I love) but it has yet to meet a gas station that it doesn't like. Does anybody have an idea as if they are even working on something like this, and would it be affordable if there is one?

5/6/12, 8:35 PM   #8
Bad Dad 54

Ok Bill, like it says Non wing racing forum

1 member likes this post: speed bump
5/7/12, 8:43 AM   #9
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary curry View Post
I'm not particularily interested in an electric car, (my Mystique still gets 'tween 32 and 35 mpg) but I would be interested in a pick up that would be capable of pulling my 28 ft 5th wheel about 400 miles a day on one charge. Right now I have a big old V10, (which I love) but it has yet to meet a gas station that it doesn't like. Does anybody have an idea as if they are even working on something like this, and would it be affordable if there is one?
I know that GM is using/developing hybrid technology for almost all vehicles that they manufacture. It is badged as eAssist.

I have not heard of an electric truck but that does not mean it is not on the drawing board. IMO, I wonder if the battery technology is advanced enough for a truck. Even the batteries for the eAssist are pretty large.

5/7/12, 9:05 AM   #10
TQ29m

Think how big they'd have to be, to fly a 747 from New York, to La, in Ca! Can you say "I don't think so"!Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chevy Volt